Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
where is the brake line meant to be connected

Hi,
I just installed new axles and drums on my 71 Trade Wind and found the brake wire up by the trailer plug but it was not connected. I tied in the wiring from each brake to the brake line runs and checked continuity which I had , so I know I have a complete circuit to all brakes.

I am not sure where this is brake wire is meant to be tied in. I would think it would be one line to the white ground and the other onto the yellow line on the trailer plug connector, which would then activate the power as you brake via the brake controller.

I did a search but didn't have any luck. Any one could point me to the thread which covers this would be helpful. Barry
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The brake line you speak of... Is that the one for the "breakaway" switch?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Yeah, maybe the breakaway. Do not thread the breakaway line thru your chains as some trailer owners do, it totally defeats the purpose.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Let me further clarify.

I am talking about the trailer plug on the trailer on the interior of the trailer where all the trailer wiring is tied into the trailer plug. Which terminals does the brake line tie into?

I am not talking about the trailer breakaway , which is on the outside of the trailer.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I'm not sure I understand the question, but the brake wire goes to pin 2 of the 7-pin connector. Is that what you're looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way_plug.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	243025  
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On your '74 with the outlet for the umbilical cord on the front, and a double female umbilical cord itself you have a different color code and umbilical cord socket than is being used today. Yours will be one with round pins and the "old" Airstream color coding.

I no longer have the information you need, that is pin position and wiring color codes.

Could someone who has the old system information please post that information. I know it has been covered in posts in the past.

To batt, the front outlet on the trailer system was not used by Airstream for a long time and many are not familiar with it, nor the round pin color code system you have, so hold on until we find someone who is.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Check your front plug. Mine was a corroded mess. Got a new male/female pair from Vintage Trailer Supply and wired as per this diagram and to the connector in the TV.
Everything worked OK.
Here's the diagram from my '72 service manual.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Umbilical diagram.pdf (53.4 KB, 53 views)

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote