Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

1968 24' Tradewind
Arnold , Maryland
Where are the Specs for Brake Drum Thickness?

Purchased a 68 Tradewind 24 and am trying to get it to pass safety inspection in Maryland.

The guy inspecting says that I need new brake shoes due to wear and also that he cannot determine the make of the brake drum from inspection so that he can check if the steel thickness remains within safety tolerances.

I have searched in vain for any reference to brake drum thickness. I suspect that these are the original brakes. Don't mind replacing the backing plates but I would rather not replace the drum (and bearings).

I live near Annapolis. Any thoughts about what to do?
Maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Lots of drums have it stamped on the face.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #3

1968 24' Tradewind
Arnold , Maryland
Where are the Specs for Brake Drum Thickness

Thank you. The mechanic said that he couldn't find a marking. Don't know if there is one--I supposed the marking could be obscured by surface rust.

The mechanic said his best guess is that the manufacturer he thinks it might be is out of business--which still leads to question as to where is the spec. for drums in general?

I'm somewhat surprised this issue hasn't come up in forum postings before. Are Maryland inspectors the only ones who look for thickness on brake drums?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:30 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Ours....a wire brush may reveal it.

Bob

BTW... in NYS if the drum isn't stamped for max internal diameter it can't be failed. I had the same concern when getting our 53' Ford inspected, do the google on your State insp regs to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08167.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	270036  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Minimum drum thickness should be cast into the drum.

Q's: Do drums actually need machining?? Does shoe arc match drum arc??

To correct shoe arc: Shoes can be arced at an old school friction supply company. Back in the day, shoe arcing was done all the time.

When you take this route, bring drums with you. Shoes need to individually arced to custom fit each drum. When arcing is done, you have a shoe-drum "matched set."

I hope this makes sense.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Normal is .060 of an inch over. So a 12" drum shouldn't exceed 12.060" when measured. It is common to push this a bit but if it's going to be inspected, maybe not. Brakes stop you by turning the motion into heat so the less metal there is in the drum the more likely you are to have fade or warping.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
Minimum drum thickness should be cast into the drum.

Q's: Do drums actually need machining?? Does shoe arc match drum arc??

To correct shoe arc: Shoes can be arced at an old school friction supply company. Back in the day, shoe arcing was done all the time.

When you take this route, bring drums with you. Shoes need to individually arced to custom fit each drum. When arcing is done, you have a shoe-drum "matched set."

I hope this makes sense.

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
Normal is .060 of an inch over. So a 12" drum shouldn't exceed 12.060" when measured. It is common to push this a bit but if it's going to be inspected, maybe not. Brakes stop you by turning the motion into heat so the less metal there is in the drum the more likely you are to have fade or warping.

Hi, shoe arcing was made illegal decades ago and the machines were scrapped. Turning drums to a max of .060 is pretty common, but as in Bob's picture, .090 is the limit on some Airstream drums.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Maximum diameter will be 12.090 for most 12x2 drums.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:13 AM   #9

1968 24' Tradewind
Arnold , Maryland
Thanks to all. In talking to the mechanic, he eventually was able to find out about the internal diameter spec. Problem solved, I do not need new drums.