View Poll Results: What is your preferred Brake Controller?
Draw Tite Activator Series Controller 6 3.92%
Hayes-Lemmerz Energize/Micro Control Series 3 1.96%
Hidden Hitch Brake Master Electronic Controller 0 0%
Jordan Research Corporation Actuator or Ultima 23 15.03%
Kelsey Hayes Hydraulic/Electric Controller 6 3.92%
Reese Brakeman Series Electronic Controller 2 1.31%
Tekonsha Prodigy/Voyage/Sentinel/Envoy Electronic Controllers 100 65.36%
Other Hydraulic/Electric Controller 5 3.27%
Other Inertia Electronic Controller 4 2.61%
Other Timed Electronic Controller 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

Hi Action,

I pull with a '78 Ford Bronco, 460 .060 over (473 cid). Same one since '85.

Oscar

Old 08-23-2003, 07:32 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Brake controllers, a thread revisited....

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I voted on this poll when it first appeared on this forum with an electronic controller vote. Since then my vote has changed.

As of now I will be installing the "old" hydraulic style brake controller of yester-year. Now don't misunderstand me, the EC's of today have they're place in today's world of ABS systems, but I'm not in that world (tow vehicle).

Contrary to thoughts and belief's, they are Not outlawed. They also DO NOT change they stopping caracteristics of the tow vehicle while towing or not, provided they are properly installed, bled, etc. Remember, when these units were popular, the cars and trucks that pulled TT's sported HD packages and Big Block motors, larger brakes, larger capacity master cylinders and made all kinds of vacume for the booster, all of which I have.

Botttom line, I can't wait to get this unit installed. My Father is sending me two KH units (81740's). It will be nice to pull and stop as we once did in the 60's and 70's (pre ABS).

Oscar
Ohhh I'm 100% with you. The PO of my 88 Burb had a KH installed and it works GREAT. The only booger is getting the rought adjustment set with the resistor under the hood. After learning about controlers from the people on this site I really feel that it's probely one of the best controlers EVER. I think the only controler that is in it's league is the Jordan. I think the Jordan does "one up it" for two reason.
1: All the adusting is from the controler.

2: the diagonistics features that tells you exactly what your putting to the brakes and if it senses an open circuit.

My 75 GMC Jimmy also has one in. That truck will never pull the Airstream. It's very offroad biased and I would need a 20 inch drop draw bar. It does how ever pull a small utility camper. I think I will be adding brakes to it. At times it does have enough weight in it that it taxes the tow vehicle. The Jimmy is running 35's and really doesn't need any more load put on the brakes.

I also HATE the ABS that's on most trucks from 80's to mid 90's. It's single channel and thats a VERY flawed design. 3 or 4 Channel is good but not single channel. Company van I drove had single channel ABS and it almost caused me to be in teo wrecks. Both times a rear tire locked on a loose surface and sicne the ABS could only modulate the whole system it realeased ALL the brakes to get that one wheel spinning and about sent me out into a intersection. The other three tires were not even close to loosing traction.

I unplugged it after that. Truck got serviced about a year later and they plugged the ABS back in without my knowledge. Caught me off guard one day when I got cut off and the same thing happend. Dropped a wheel off the road tapped the brakes once both front tires hit pavement. Rear tire locked and it let off all the brakes.

Now understand BOTH times I was under 30mph when this happened and it trippled my stopping distance as a result. GM was involved a a LARGE lawsuit from these sytems. Apparently it was swept under the carpet just like AIrbags killing tiny women that sit close to the wheel, like my wife. That's the reason our vehicles are older is no airbags and no ABS.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:47 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

I agree 59T,

Jordan "IS" the only one in the same league. Hyro or Mechanical, they are flawless in operation.

My truck (Bronco, F-150 chassis with 33x12.50's) has a drop of 4" (give or take). I,m going to have to post some pic's and get a few forum threads started past this.

Wait 'till you see what my wife did with valances' in our AS, yep, new info on another old thread, AGAIN!

Oscar
Old 09-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

It's up and runin'.....

WOW, I don' just have brakes, I've got BRAKES!!! There's nothing more satisfying that a tow vehicle and TT working together.

Oscar
Old 09-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
You said it Road King Moe!

Our tow vehicle had the voyager installed when we bought it. Our dealer only mounts those as his choice as well, so we tried it for a week...hated it!

Every brake jerks you backward, especially in slow traffic! We tried setting it every which way, but just couldn't get it to feel right.

Got a Jordan Ultima 2020 and installed it myself in less than an hour. Absolutely love it!!!!!!!! Very smooth and reliable. It's a little touchy in slow traffic, but I think that's something we'll have to learn the feel for.

The ammeter feature is great. My wife and I have different driving and braking styles, and it's very nice to be able to dial in the exact tension we each want.

Cheers,
Kimili
Old 09-01-2003, 04:21 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
For those with GM tow vehicals and want the advantages of the Jordan brake controller and are having trouble providing the 1 in. of cable travel that the Jordan uses to activate the controller I offer this sugestion on page 2 of my web page. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/
I have made a pulley with 2 grooves, the larger groove is attached to the cable that is connected to the brake arm and the small one is connected to the Jordan.
This is necessary to give a more accurate proportional controll than the GM would normaly give if you just attachec the cable directly to the brake arm at the highest place possible.
The result is great. My tri axle now trailer becomes the priniple braking force over the full range of pedal application thus keeping things in a straight line.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Dorchester , Massachusetts
Does Size Matter?

When selecting a brake controller does trailer size matter?
The Teknosha Prodigy seems to be the product of choice but does it matter whether your pulling a Bambi V/s a Land yacht?
G
Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
Nice thread, I use a BrakeSmart. Love that little sucker.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #65
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by galfoman
When selecting a brake controller does trailer size matter?
The Teknosha Prodigy seems to be the product of choice but does it matter whether your pulling a Bambi V/s a Land yacht?
G
Trailer size does not matter. The Prodigy is adjusted to the brakes of the trailer with a thumb knob as part of the testing of the unit. I am sure the other good units work the same way.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
The Prodigy has served us very well!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #67
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I have had a Tekonsha Sentinel since they first came out. I have found it very easy to use, very basic, without the bells and whistles of the Prodigy. I used a Kelsey-Hays hydraulic unit back in the 80's, and again with our older F250 without ABS. The new truck has ABS, so I had to put the Sentinel in the new truck. It caused some consternation with the tech that installed it, he had never seen one, and thought it didn't work.
Lewster is doing some real-worlkd testing of the Tekonsha P-3 controller as we speak, hopefully he will be able to report on how well it works. The P-3 is the next generation after the Prodigy.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #68
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've liked the Prodigy as well for about 5 years now. I can't use the Jordan because of my hydroboost braking system in the Suburban. It'd be interesting to see how they have been able to improve upon the Prodigy.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #69
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I see this is an old post, but how many of these things do you go through? Sounds like were talking about prefered brands of Tequila!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #70
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I currently own two Prodigy units. One for the car and one for the truck. Both have worked great and I don't have any immed plans to replace them, but as they build a better mouse trap...... I may consider it if it's worth it.....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote