Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #1

What full hubcaps fit 1973 Sovereign?

I am looking for hubcaps and can't find 4 original full covers. I was thinking of using used 15" hubcaps from a full size American truck or car. Will any of them fit, or do the hubs jut out enough in the center to prevent some full hubcaps from fitting? If so, do I need to look for covers from particular cars or trucks? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike P.S. If you know of 4 original covers or any that resemble them I would be interested.
greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What full hubcaps fit 1973 Sovereign?

Greetings Mike!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres
I am looking for hubcaps and can't find 4 original full covers. I was thinking of using used 15" hubcaps from a full size American truck or car. Will any of them fit, or do the hubs jut out enough in the center to prevent some full hubcaps from fitting? If so, do I need to look for covers from particular cars or trucks? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike P.S. If you know of 4 original covers or any that resemble them I would be interested.
For the most part, 15" full wheelcovers from full-size automobiles will fit the wheels used on Airstreams. When my coach thew one of its wheel covers, I purchased a set of 15" Cadillac Eldorado wheel covers (1971-1978), and they fit the wheel and cleared the dust cap as well as the fender well - - also tried 15" Cadillac DeVille wheel covers (1969-1975) and they worked as well. I used the Cadillac wheel covers while searching for an Airstream cover to match those that were on my coach dating to 1970s updates by the original owners.

With patience, you can locate either NOS new wheel covers for your Airstream, or there is a vendor who offeres a similar reproduction wheel covers on E-Bay from time to time. Recently, I have noted that when the true Airstream wheel covers sell via E-Bay auction the price generally approaches $50 (each) with NOS covers going slightly to somewhat higher.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote