Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Nags Head , North Carolina
What backing plates are needed for 1975 31 ft Sovereign? Disc Conversion?

My brakes are horrible. Barely feel them. Had them serviced last year at Adventures NW in Portland OR. Gain at 10. Mechanic didn't seem alarmed but the trailer brakes barely work. Going to put on new backing plates. The disc conversion is $1300 just in parts. Not sure it's really cost effective. Anyone done it?
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Before pushing the panic button, why not do a little more testing?
Hook up the trailer to your tow vehicle, make sure the battery in the trailer is fully charged, pull the breakaway cable out, and attempt to move the trailer with the tow vehicle.
If it still moves relatively easily, next (after plugging in the breakaway cable) lift one side of the trailer so the tires are off the ground. Pull the breakaway cable again, and attempt to rotate the tires by hand. If you can, check to see if they are getting power, and have ground. Next, adjust the brakes so the shoes barely touch the drums when rotating the tires. Re-test braking power using the breakaway switch. If it's now good, do the same thing on the other side.
After you've done this, try the pull and drag test again, then tow the trailer, and try the trailer brakes on the street.
If everything on the trailer works properly, look at the tow vehicle as a potential culprit.
I can tell you the 12" brakes on your Sovereign are more than enough to stop both trailer and truck.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
I'll do that first. Thanks!
Jeff
Old 07-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
What backing plates are needed for 1975 31 ft Sovereign? Disc Conversion?

Hi Overlander63! Glad I checked. The entire curbside had broken wires. The rest had wire nuts! All the wires were too short. I fixed what I could with what I had on hand. Checked them as you recommended and they all worked reasonably well. Now I'm home for a few days to do a proper repair. They still won't lock up but will definitely tug the whole rig back. Then back on the road to the end of August.

Tags
sovereign