Old 10-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Brian, they're readily available everywhere. HD has them even. Look for heat shrink connectors with hot glue in them. They both shrink to fit and the glue seals them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Brian, they're readily available everywhere. HD has them even. Look for heat shrink connectors with hot glue in them. They both shrink to fit and the glue seals them.
Thanks Rich, will check our our local HD - although I often find that for some reason HD store in the US have a wider selection of products that we do here in Canada. That's OK though - will be back visiting the US this winter once more - all being well!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thanks Rich, will check our our local HD - although I often find that for some reason HD store in the US have a wider selection of products that we do here in Canada. That's OK though - will be back visiting the US this winter once more - all being well!

Brian.
Winegeezer, surely you have been to Canadian Tire? Every time I go into one of those, I never fail to find what I want and a whole lot more!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A general note on this thread. I also have had brake issues, electrical. Once I found that 3 of the 4 wheels had no working brakes, due to corrosion issues where the magnet wires connected to the brake wires.

The easiest way to check for good brake electrical is to measure the total current going to the brakes. It will be between 2.5 and 3 amps per wheel. So a single axel trailer should measure 5 to 6 amps, and a double axel 10 to 12 amps.

Just identify which pins on your cord which plugs into the tow vehicle has the 12 volts on it and which pin is the one for the brakes. Put an ammeter between those two pins and you will measure the maximum brake current.

Some brake controllers have an ammeter built into them, and you can read the current that the brakes take directly.

The Humming sound mentioned in one of the posts above when the brakes are activated from the brake controller is caused by a rapid on/off cycling of the power to the brakes by the electronics in the brake controller. Not all controllers operate that way, so it is not a universal thing you will find (humming). When the break away switch pin is pulled pure 12 volt battery power is applied to the brakes so no humming will be noted then.

The best wire nuts for brake use are the type which have an internal "goo" in them which keeps water out. They are designed for wet locations and underground splices. You can generally find them at Home Depot and Lowe's as well as a well stocked hardware store. Under no circumstances use regular wire nuts and fill the ends with silicone. That will eat the wires up really fast as the normal silicone acts as a corrosive to the copper. Also, do not tape the wire nuts with electrical tape as that only keeps the water which will get in, in, and will not allow it to drain out. Use the special wire nuts or crimp or solder connections covered with water proof shrink wrap material.

I hope this has added something to the thread of use.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
.......The Humming sound mentioned in one of the posts above when the brakes are activated from the brake controller is caused by a rapid on/off cycling of the power to the brakes by the electronics in the brake controller. Not all controllers operate that way, so it is not a universal thing you will find (humming). When the break away switch pin is pulled pure 12 volt battery power is applied to the brakes so no humming will be noted then.

I hope this has added something to the thread of use.

Ah Ha! Now that explains why I'm not hearing the humming with the pin pulled. Man, what a relief. I've rewired several things around the 7way-to- brakes-connection with the same result--no humming.

Now all I have to do is jack the trailer up, pull the pin and spin the wheels to see if they are working.

Did you add something of use? Absolutely. One of the best posts I've read on the forums in a long time. Thank you!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Winegeezer, surely you have been to Canadian Tire? Every time I go into one of those, I never fail to find what I want and a whole lot more!
Canadian Tire is indeed a great institution! I often wonder why there is not a US equivalent? If there is, I have yet to find it!

Not sure if they have these all weather connectors though - I haven't seen them there, but then, I have never asked! .......... I will!

Brian

PS - Wingeezer not Winegeezer (relates to my age + the motorcycle!)

I do make my own wine though, so I suppose it could be equally appropriate!

But these days, I make a lot more home-brewed beer than I do wine!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Canadian Tire is indeed a great institution! I often wonder why there is not a US equivalent? If there is, I have yet to find it!

Not sure if they have these all weather connectors though - I haven't seen them there, but then, I have never asked! .......... I will!

Brian

PS - Wingeezer not Winegeezer (relates to my age + the motorcycle!)

I do make my own wine though, so I suppose it could be equally appropriate!

But these days, I make a lot more home-brewed beer than I do wine!
WINGeezer, got it!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
This Thread is a GREAT Season Check Up Prevention and Repair!

The wiring going into the brake drums on each wheel are exposed to a branch of a small bush, catching and pulling, or breaking the wire connections just above your brake drums.

I found one brake wire connection on our 2016 that appeared to have been crimped, during the assembly of the axles to the Airstream body, that just slid out due to a bad crimp with the plastic shrink connection intact.

There would have been no braking on that wheel since new.

It was then I noticed that the wiring is exposed as a wide loop, that could easily catch a small bush branch, causing other wires to be detached and not noticed. I soldered these first noticed wires together, wrapped each solder connection and took black electrical tape, taping the two wires from where they enter the brake drum and past the crimp, where Dexter wiring ends and the Airstream wiring connects. Then proceeded to tape the other three brake wiring connections to avoid any possible detaching while traveling Off the Grid.

This wrapping made it possible to raise the wiring and reduced the possibility of catching the wiring on some stray bush branch.

When you get under your trailer's axles, look at the wiring. If you see the plastic loop to secure the wiring to the drum... you already made contact with something. This takes no time at all to secure all four sets of brake wires.

Changes nothing towards performance, but does reduce one other negative possibility, while maintaining the integrity of our trailers ourselves.