Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
voyager/prodigy

i just purchased an 07 classic 25ft w/ elec/hydraulic brakes...dealer installed a voyager brake controller...i questioned him re. specs call for prodigy..he siad voyager is the right controller...i go to to the actibrake web site and they say voyager will not work with elec/hydraulic brakes.
any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks van
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
According to TB101 The Prodigy, Voyager, Sentinel and Envoy from Tekonsha will work with the Acti-brake system.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My dealer at first also installed the voyager...IMHO, it's a POC (piece of....).

I switched to the Prodigy and life has been great ever since.

Of course, I don't have disc brakes.......not sure how it'd work with those, but by looking at the prev post, looks like it would work!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The Voyager is a pendulum level brake controller, and needs careful adjustment before it works properly. I did not care much for the one I had in a prevous tow vehicle.
The Prodigy is easier to adjust and works much smoother. It seems to do a good job with my disc brake setup.
The Prodigy works better with tow vehicles that have strong brakes, since the initial bite of the brake must be initiated with the tow vehicle. Average or weak tow vehicle brakes ( such as the ones in my 97 Suburban 1500) make the prodigy respond slow. The boost function that it provides make no difference in this case.
I am thinking of upgrading to a pressure or cable controlled brake controller, one that does not rely on deceleration of the tow vehicle alone for trailer brake dosage.

btw., the Prodigy works fine with disc brake actuators.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

UWE, any recommendations on your future pressure or cable controller?
I definitely need to get rid of my progressive time dependant unit.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I am thinking of upgrading to a pressure or cable controlled brake controller, one that does not rely on deceleration of the tow vehicle alone for trailer brake dosage.
This is seat-of-the-pants so I won't speak for having the exact details right in front of me. The cable controlled Jordan is supposed to have recently been upgraded to work properly with elec. actuator/hydraulic brakes, so be sure you check that out if you intend to use in that fashion.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
UWE, any recommendations on your future pressure or cable controller?
I definitely need to get rid of my progressive time dependant unit.
I need to do some research when the time comes. I can not recommend a product or procedure that I have not personally tried or used.
I can tell you that my Prodigy is not the cat's meow. I have to adjust it often, and am looking forward to getting rid of it. I do not consider it unsafe, just not consistent. I used it with electric drums before I got the Overlander, and pretty much hated it then. It's better with the discs, for whatever reason I don't know.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's shocking UWE. I have it with my elec drums and haven't had to set it in several years. I've been beyond pleased with my Prodigy setup....I had a similar issue to yours when I had the Voyager...I was setting that one nearly every mile (ok, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea).
Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
That's shocking UWE. I have it with my elec drums and haven't had to set it in several years. I've been beyond pleased with my Prodigy setup....I had a similar issue to yours when I had the Voyager...I was setting that one nearly every mile (ok, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea).
I've come to the conclusion that it must be my unit. Perhapos there's something wrong with it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I've come to the conclusion that it must be my unit. Perhapos there's something wrong with it.
Do you know what version your Prodigy is? I think v2.6 is the latest/current revision, and when I bought mine I recall it was important to me to get v2.6, but I don't recall exactly why now...

For myself, I've been quite happy with my 20' Safar + F-150 SuperCrew setup, having minimal fuss with it.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have the Prodigy in my Toyota and I do like it. I'm pulling a 78, 24ft Argosy; however, I too have to adjust it just about every time I pull the trailer. I usually leave the Argosy down at the lake, so I just thought the controller needed to be re-set after non use for several weeks at a time. Once it's set, it does a wonderful job for the entire towing route. It's easy to adjust when the need arises, and over-adjusted you will have the Argosy stopping the Toyota---don't ask me how I know.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Might be....not sure. I have two Prodigy units FWIW...one in the "SS" and another in the Burb...both behave the same....so far.

The one in the SS, I bought from a forum member over 3 years ago....not sure how long he had it before that. I bought one new from rvpartsoutlet.com 2 years ago....not sure on which versions either are though...
Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have the Voyager and it works well for me. I personally never had or used anything else, but I leave it set, once I hit the road, and make minor adjustments as I feel necessary. Since I like to tinker anyway, I don't mind makeing an adjustment here or there just to feel the difference so I can tell how I like it to work. A happy medium is when it doesn't have a delayed action compared to my tow vehicle. I like the trailer and tow vehicle to stop at the same rate and I don't want it to be too grabby at slow speeds like in parking lots or bumper to bumper traffic. I have found the sweet spot [at start of trip] and can go 1,000 + miles with no futher adjustment. Some times I think the Prodigy would be easier because you can see numbers and just set it at the number you feel good with. This might be better for those who don't have a real feel for trailer brakes and can rely on what the dealer set it at; Something you can't do with the Voyager.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I use the prodigy also ,it works very well although it applys more voltage
at slow speeds ,like pulling into the gas station and the readout shows 3.8
or 4.0 volts ?? Pull back on the road and come up to the light or freeway offramp and you'll see 1.3 or 2.3 .but I like the readout so I can see how
much Gain and boost I am adjusting in ,or lessening .It gives me a large variety of adjustments for conditions ,say mountain and decents to flat
easy towing ,and more braking control overall .so aside from the very slow
speed thing (10 mph or less )its works great .I also like to tinker around
and dial in adjustments on it, as well as the drivetrain and engine and timing
controls Ive installed .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
voyager/prodigy

I drove a TV\Trailer for a while that had the olk Kelsey Hayes unit that tapped into the hydraulic. Once set up it was just find. I didn't appreciate it until I ran to a Jordan "supid" controller. After asking a lot of questions I found out that there there four types of brake controllers.
The "stupid" type that generates a voltage that ramps up in accordance with how long you have your foot on the brake pedal.
The Pendulem or Linear Accelerarometer(murdered that one) that works on inertia.
The Cable type that ties to the brake pedal.
The type that ties into the hydraulic system.
I had a "stupid' type. It was the easiest to install/calabrate, but you were constantly readjusting the brake severity.
Never had the pendulem type.
Presently have the Jordan Ultima. I performs just like the type that ties into the hydraulic system. I have had absolute no trouble with my unit. I love it. I have two different trailers, the Airstream and a 20 ft flatbed both requiring different settings. The unit is easily readjusted between trailers and works perfectly for both.
Havent had one of the "new " types that ties into the hydraulic system, but this type is very expensive.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Do you set the boost as well as the gain? I set the boost to 1 on my F-250 due to the trailer being just slightly heavier than the truck. It worked much better after that.
My new truck has the Ford tow command by Tekonsha. I am using it because t does a better job of stopping the trailer at slow speeds as well as high speeds.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
On my prodigy ,I use the boost on 1 (doesn't need any more than that )
and use the gain as well ,as you can fine tune it ,and allow for conditions
as well .I like the multiple adjustments you can make .Im not sure if one size
controller fits all is really the best choice (opinion) and definately see that there are controllers that work better for others setups .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hensley

Hensley Manuf......makers of the Arrow hitch, have recently come out with their own flavor of brake controller. I don't have much info on them, but I plan on investigating them. Also, Tekonsha has a new model that is positioned above the Prodigy. I'm waiting for the tech specs on that one too.

I'll report back when I get some more info.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
For anyone that wants to understand the differences watch this video clip, it is well done. The difference

Since the advent of quality brake controllers like the Prodigy, Jordan, etc the time delay, inertia designed types should be banned. They are that inferior.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Also, Tekonsha has a new model that is positioned above the Prodigy. .
Interesting. I can't wait to see it and hear how it does.