Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

I drove a TV\Trailer for a while that had the olk Kelsey Hayes unit that tapped into the hydraulic. Once set up it was just find. I didn't appreciate it until I ran to a Jordan "supid" controller. After asking a lot of questions I found out that there there four types of brake controllers.
The "stupid" type that generates a voltage that ramps up in accordance with how long you have your foot on the brake pedal.
The Pendulem or Linear Accelerarometer(murdered that one) that works on inertia.
The Cable type that ties to the brake pedal.
The type that ties into the hydraulic system.
I had a "stupid' type. It was the easiest to install/calabrate, but you were constantly readjusting the brake severity.
Never had the pendulem type.
Presently have the Jordan Ultima. I performs just like the type that ties into the hydraulic system. I have had absolute no trouble with my unit. I love it. I have two different trailers, the Airstream and a 20 ft flatbed both requiring different settings. The unit is easily readjusted between trailers and works perfectly for both.
Havent had one of the "new " types that ties into the hydraulic system, but this type is very expensive.

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Do you set the boost as well as the gain? I set the boost to 1 on my F-250 due to the trailer being just slightly heavier than the truck. It worked much better after that.
My new truck has the Ford tow command by Tekonsha. I am using it because t does a better job of stopping the trailer at slow speeds as well as high speeds.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
On my prodigy ,I use the boost on 1 (doesn't need any more than that )
and use the gain as well ,as you can fine tune it ,and allow for conditions
as well .I like the multiple adjustments you can make .Im not sure if one size
controller fits all is really the best choice (opinion) and definately see that there are controllers that work better for others setups .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

Hensley Manuf......makers of the Arrow hitch, have recently come out with their own flavor of brake controller. I don't have much info on them, but I plan on investigating them. Also, Tekonsha has a new model that is positioned above the Prodigy. I'm waiting for the tech specs on that one too.

I'll report back when I get some more info.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
For anyone that wants to understand the differences watch this video clip, it is well done. The difference

Since the advent of quality brake controllers like the Prodigy, Jordan, etc the time delay, inertia designed types should be banned. They are that inferior.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #20
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by lewster
Also, Tekonsha has a new model that is positioned above the Prodigy. .
Interesting. I can't wait to see it and hear how it does.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Based on info gathered on this site and the recommendation of others I just purchashed the Prodigy. Will be installing in the '94' Wrangler. After that is done I will be adding brakes to my utility trailer. The drums are already there, just need to add the shoes wires and hardware.

Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote