Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

1977 31' Excella 500
salina , Kansas
new to vacume brakes any help in getting system to work ie wiring & if my belt driven vacume pump will handle the demands or if i need a auxillary pump
m-mckai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Sounds like your running a compression ignition engine (diesel). Vacuum brakes don't use much air to operate, and a reservoir is built into the trailer. Electrically, they operate like other brakes. Some of the newer fancy conrollers that check for brake magnet integrity will not be happy with this old Midland-Ross systsem. I still use it and am fine with it. You'll need a check valve in the line and, unless the PO gave it to you, you'll need a set of airline quick connectors to uncouple. Some folks switch over the vacuum over hydralic unt for an electric over hydralic unit. Research the threads on this topic.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

1977 31' Excella 500
salina , Kansas
hooked up vacume to the trailer towed to the lake this past weekend stopping power excellent
m-mckai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I had a set of them on my 77. Work great when they work. I put a lot of miles on and had a number of failures on the road. It is hard to find people and parts on the road to fix them when they fail. Last straw was when the caliper carriers started to have fatique failures where the slide pins are welded into the stamped metal brackets. Not reliable way to fix that, so I changed over to electrics. Took one afternoon and $350 in parts.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Creedmoor , North Carolina
Long! Help Please

We have an airstream that has been sitting for 12 years. I towed it for the first time last weekend, and the brakes did not work. My controller on the tow vehicle may be the problem not sure.It has two lights neither light up at this time. Repacked bearings and lubed and checked all four brakes before towing. I definately have a vacuum at the trailer when I disconnect it hisses for a while. I'm trying to get our trailer back on the road low budget at this time, if anyone knows someone in southeastern VA (Martinsville) or Raleigh/Durham area that could help me T/S the brakes I'd be greatly appreciated. One option may be this electric pump over vacuum, could someone post a link to this info?? Thanks in advance to you all
poptoppt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-mckai1 View Post
new to vacume brakes any help in getting system to work ie wiring & if my belt driven vacume pump will handle the demands or if i need a auxillary pump
We are the only company that has most of the repair parts for the original disc brake system.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptoppt View Post
We have an airstream that has been sitting for 12 years.
Any torsion axle trailer that has sat for a couple of years or so, will have an axles or axles that are shot, which allows bottoming out when you tow.

To check yours out, read the following article.

Dura Torque Axle

I would also suggest that you check all the exterior gaskets, windows, door, access compartments, ceiling vents, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. Would also be wise to check the clearance lights for a tight leak proof mounting.

Andy
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Creedmoor , North Carolina
When I took everything apart to repack the wheel bearings all brake parts moved. Nothing is frozen up. Also the axles remarkable are in great shape. Did all the measurents to check them out and there fine. Its just the brakes applying not sure if its the TV or the trailer system. I've been told that we might be able to change the vacuum system cannister on the front of the airstream to an electric system keeping the same brakes???
poptoppt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptoppt View Post
When I took everything apart to repack the wheel bearings all brake parts moved. Nothing is frozen up. Also the axles remarkable are in great shape. Did all the measurents to check them out and there fine. Its just the brakes applying not sure if its the TV or the trailer system. I've been told that we might be able to change the vacuum system cannister on the front of the airstream to an electric system keeping the same brakes???
You can upgrade the actuator to a new style, that does not require a source of vacuum.

You must add a couple of wires, which is easy enough since a manual comes with the new Actibrake actuator.

You can also mount the new actuator under the front lounge, or in an access compartment.

The key parts that you should carefully check are the dust seals for the pistons, the caliper bushings, the clevis pins, and the pads.

Andy