Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Tishomingo , Mississippi
upgrading to disk brakes

I have about decided that I want to upgrade to disk brakes. I did do a search and read a lot of old posts on the subject. My top contenders are:

KODIAK 12" Trailer Disc Brake Assy, Dacromet #1HRCM12DACKIT

DEXTER Electric / Hydraulic Disc Brake Actuator #K71-651-00 or Carlisle HydraStar Electric-Hydraulic Actuator for Disc Brakes - 1,600 psi Carlisle Trailer Brakes HBA16

I like the idea of Inland's kit, but he doesn't list out what is in it so it is hard to do comparison shopping..

Inland RV Center Inc.

My question is, what actuator have others used and where did you put it?
Do most buy the brake lines locally and how much did they cost or did you buy a kit?
Anybody deal with eastern marine? They seem considerably cheaper than anybody else, but you have to place the order to get shipping charges while E trailer offers free shipping over $150.

Any other comments?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I have a comment did you check the condition of your axles?
With an 82 your axles might need replacing, if they do it would be cheaper and easier to replace everything at once.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1plant4u View Post
I have about decided that I want to upgrade to disk brakes. I did do a search and read a lot of old posts on the subject. My top contenders are:

DEXTER Electric / Hydraulic Disc Brake Actuator #K71-651-00 or Carlisle HydraStar Electric-Hydraulic Actuator for Disc Brakes - 1,600 psi Carlisle Trailer Brakes HBA16

I like the idea of Inland's kit, but he doesn't list out what is in it so it is hard to do comparison shopping..

Inland RV Center Inc.

Do most buy the brake lines locally and how much did they cost or did you buy a kit?
Anybody deal with eastern marine? They seem considerably cheaper than anybody else, but you have to place the order to get shipping charges while E trailer offers free shipping over $150.

Any other comments?
Look at the photo and expand it.

What you see in the photo, is what makes up the kit.

Also, a listing of the components supplied in on our web site.

Andy
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Inland RV Center Inc.

Any other comments?
If you have the hinged, covered tool box on the A frame behind the LP tanks, that would be a freat place to put the actuator.
We have had very good success with the Dexter actuator and Kodiak ecoated 12" type rotors. Be aware the outer bearing will be larger than stoclk Airstream.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What rims are you running? None of the kits I looked at would fit with the mid 70's to early 80's alloy 15" rims.

Here is another thread I started on disk brakes.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ity-95201.html

Perry
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Tishomingo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
What rims are you running? None of the kits I looked at would fit with the mid 70's to early 80's alloy 15" rims.

Here is another thread I started on disk brakes.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ity-95201.html

Perry
I have already upgraded to 16 inch wheels. Thanks for the link.

Mike
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Tishomingo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I have a comment did you check the condition of your axles?
With an 82 your axles might need replacing, if they do it would be cheaper and easier to replace everything at once.
I do need new axles and it would save some money to do it all at once, but it would be more than I want to spend at this time. I found the parts to fix what I have locally, so I may put it off until I can do it all at once.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Is $1350 the going price for disc brakes?

Quote:
I do need new axles and it would save some money to do it all at once, but it would be more than I want to spend at this time. I found the parts to fix what I have locally, so I may put it off until I can do it all at once.
Hi 1plant4u,

From your research have you found that $1350 is an average price of disc brakes, including installation? We're looking to have disc brakes done (not the axels) and were curious as to what you have found in terms of price.

The $1350 price from Inland RV includes:
Disc brake kit for tandem 12" axles. Includes actuator, e-coated 6 on 5.5 rotors, calipers, bearings, grease, grease seals, grease caps, cotter pins, lug nuts, steel brake line kit, insulated clamps & grade 8 mounting hardware.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well from the research I did the Kodiak Calipers and the Carlisle Actuator are the best combination. Andy recommended the Carlisle Actuator. The Kodiak calipers use off the shelf car pads so you will always be able to get them and they won't become obsolete when Chinese company that makes all this stuff evaporates in a few years. They should fit your rims. Everything that is trailer specific is going to be expensive or hard to get at some point in the future. Trailer disk brakes have not become standardized like the drum brakes. You don't know who is going to win. Your disk brakes may end up being the Beta or HD DVD or for you really old guys quadrophonic records. I would rather have VHS brakes as opposed to beta.

Perry
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well from the research I did the Kodiak Calipers and the Carlisle Actuator are the best combination. Andy recommended the Carlisle Actuator. The Kodiak calipers use off the shelf car pads so you will always be able to get them and they won't become obsolete when Chinese company that makes all this stuff evaporates in a few years. They should fit your rims. Everything that is trailer specific is going to be expensive or hard to get at some point in the future. Trailer disk brakes have not become standardized like the drum brakes. You don't know who is going to win. Your disk brakes may end up being the Beta or HD DVD or for you really old guys quadrophonic records. I would rather have VHS brakes as opposed to beta.

Perry
I heard they have hydraulic surge brakes on most trailers with brakes in Europe and they are very common on boat trailers in America. So I don't see hydraulic disc brakes for trailers going away in the near future, maybe the electric actuators.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Tishomingo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
Hi 1plant4u,

From your research have you found that $1350 is an average price of disc brakes, including installation? We're looking to have disc brakes done (not the axels) and were curious as to what you have found in terms of price.

The $1350 price from Inland RV includes:
Disc brake kit for tandem 12" axles. Includes actuator, e-coated 6 on 5.5 rotors, calipers, bearings, grease, grease seals, grease caps, cotter pins, lug nuts, steel brake line kit, insulated clamps & grade 8 mounting hardware.
The first two links above gets you Dacromet plated disks which is better than the e coated and DEXTER Electro/Hydraulic Disc brake actuator for $1070 plus shipping. You would have to buy the rest of the hardware and hope the bearings that come with it fit. So you might save a few bucks. On the other hand, you get everything you need plus instructions from Inland and you know everything would fit. You would have to install either one yourself.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The actuator is the part that needs to work and if it fails nothing works. They rest of the stuff is straight forward. I would spend time to research which one is going to actually work.

Perry