Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
TV pulling to right

We have been travelling for 19 days thru may different temperatures, but next to no rain.

For the past several days, our 05 Avalanche towing our 07 23' Safari pulls to the right when the brakes are rather strongly applied.

We thought it was the Alvanche, but when the trailer is not hooked to it, the right pull does not happen. Today we went to a Chevolet service dept and they drove the Alvalanche with and without the AS. The Avalanche is ok, but there is a problem with the trailer brakes or electrical system.

We tried to get an appointment at Bretz RV in Missoula, MT, but they are 3 weeks booked.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or have any idea what to do?

We are on our way to Seattle. It is no big problem with the brakes, but would like to get it fixed-we still have about 3000 miles to go before we are home. It is something that always has to be on your mind when you are driving. We haven't had much traffic the past few days, but that is about to change.

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi pat

sorting out road dynamic problems, is tricky online...

yes it could be the trailer brakes (which are still new) need adjusting.

one side could be engaged or dragging...

check the trailer hub/wheel temps for a clue to this.

it's also possible your haha needs lubrication.

there are reports of the haha causing a pulling sensation (r/l) IF not properly lubricated.

the zerks are seen in this post and also #94 of the haha thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/302963-post91.html

these zerks need to be lubed often.

hensley suggests every 500 miles.

i do mine once a week.

of course i have no idea IF that is the source of your problem but grease them anyway...

does this pulling motion happen EVERY TIME the brakes are applied?

does this pulling motion happen when the trailer brakes are manually activated?

safe travels please.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
If you haven't passed thru Spokane yet, you might give AS of Spokane a call. They're located just off I90...easy off..easy on. 509-534-8599
That's assuming your traveling I90 to Seattle. Give Nick a shout, they're very nice to deal with.
Hope you get it sorted out. happy travels.
Cheers, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Questions???

You mentioned that you have moved at least once so far - with more additional more possible. Has the 'pulling' changed AT ALL???? Think on this before you answer. The trips are short duration with lower speeds? Or are they longer , requiring HWYs and some distance?

I think that very small little trip abound town might prove fun - but the bottom line is that this HAS to be fixed PRONTO!!!

Could be the brakes themselves, the wiring to them, the connections to the 7 wire tail could be compromised, or it could be the plug itself - here I mean the ACTUAL plug that get put into the hitch. Check those pads inside and be shure that if there are 1 or 2 that seem iffy; DON'T leave without them being bent back into position so that proper contact can be assured.

If a due and diligent search in the front A-frame area, and around the individual brakes were to be planned, done and excecuted - I would bet you can solve this issue for very little, and posibly NO money.

Give it a try. Remember, we are simply a few clicks away!!!!!!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
How much pull is it? is it always the same om two lane or multi lane hwys? If it seems worse on two Lane hwys it may just be the camber or angle of the road (for drainage). The normal pull to the right may be exaggerated with the AS in tow.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks!

We stopped in Romeo, MI where the Hensley is made. They checked it to make sure it was properly installed and greased it. We have traveled about 1000 miles since.

The pull happens every time the brakes are firmly applied. I don't have the problem as much as my husband, because he drives in the heavy traffic therefore breaking harder.

We think that it started after we left JC. An entire new cord (?) and 7pin plug(?) on the trailer was installed. I don't know much about this, but wonder if the new plug has a problem.

We put over 5000 miles on the AS before the pull started.

Next stop will be Spokane. I don't know when I will have wifi again, but thanks again for the replies.

Pat

PS We don't use the brakes enough for them to get hot.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To determine if it is the trailer that is causing the pulling drive in a straight line on clear wide road at about 40 mph and apply the trailer brakes with the manual switch hard. If the pulling is there it is trailer induced.

The brake wiring of the trailer goes down the drivers side of the trailer and crosses at each axle to each passanger side. This wiring layout produces a slight voltage drop to the passanger side brakes but should not be enough to cause pulling. More likely one of the wires to the passanger side has opened.

If it is a trailer problem jack up the passanger side and while someone is in the TV spin each wheel and have them apply the manual brake switch. The wheel should slam to a stop. This will check the wireing.

If the trailer does not have several thousand miles on it the brakes may not have completely set in and just need adjustment. As noted above the driver side brakes will seat into the drums sooner because of the applied voltage difference.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It could be something as simple as low tire pressure on the trailer or Avalanche tires, and this is something you can do without a dealer. Check the tire pressure, and inflate them as needed, and try driving again.
It's been my experience that 1 time in 10, it is something this easy, you may get lucky.
Other things may be brakes adjusted tighter on the right side of the trailer, HaHa slightly out of adjustment, a broken wire to the left side trailer brakes, even having more stuff loaded on the right side of the trailer can do this to some extent.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
another quick-n-easy test is to get a boy-scout compass...hold it next to each wheel, and have a helper apply the brakes on the tow vehicle. the needle on the compass will swing away from north and point to the wheel, if its working properly. (tip: make sure the trailer isn't pointed directly east or west, or you'll only be able to check 2 of the 4 wheels).

anyway, this'll quickly pinpoint a non-functioning brake.

several people mentioned the umbilical, but it seems to me that since this connection supplies electricity to all 4 brakes simultaneously, if it were bad, you'd have NO trailer brakes at all...which you would certainly notice.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
We think that it started after we left JC. An entire new cord (?) and 7pin plug(?) on the trailer was installed. I don't know much about this, but wonder if the new plug has a problem.
or the installation of this new plug/wiring.

yes pat,

given the extremely poor service some of us have experienced recently...

AT the j/c factory service center,

this is a real possibility.

hopefully the folks in spokane can sort this out.

safe travels

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Quote:

We put over 5000 miles on the AS before the pull started.

Uh am I missing something here? A cord replaced on a trailer so new? why ?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It has been my experience that Airstream had always routed the brake wireing down the drivers side and split it back by the axles.

Your comment that the problem started after a new cord was installed leads me to question my comments and suggest that there is in fact a connection for both sides at the point where the cord enters the trailer. If this is the case there will be a connection of 3 wires at the point where the cord comes into the trailer. Look at that point and make sure there is a good connection on all wireing. I say all because I can not tell you by color how to determine which wire will be the brakes

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Do not go to Bretz. they suck. they are only insterested in your money.
AS of Spokane is a much better choise. You will go right bythem on I-90.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
We have been travelling for 19 days thru may different temperatures, but next to no rain.

For the past several days, our 05 Avalanche towing our 07 23' Safari pulls to the right when the brakes are rather strongly applied.

We thought it was the Alvanche, but when the trailer is not hooked to it, the right pull does not happen. Today we went to a Chevolet service dept and they drove the Alvalanche with and without the AS. The Avalanche is ok, but there is a problem with the trailer brakes or electrical system.

We tried to get an appointment at Bretz RV in Missoula, MT, but they are 3 weeks booked.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or have any idea what to do?

We are on our way to Seattle. It is no big problem with the brakes, but would like to get it fixed-we still have about 3000 miles to go before we are home. It is something that always has to be on your mind when you are driving. We haven't had much traffic the past few days, but that is about to change.

Pat
If your TV pulls to the right when the brakes are applied, then you have less braking on the right hand side of the trailer than the left hand side.

As an example, if the brakes on the right side of the trailer were out, then as you applied trailer brakes, the left side would push the rear of the TV to the left making the TV go to the right.

Look for disconnected wiring on the right side brakes, or for that matter, no braking at all on the right side.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I second or third AS of Spokane for warranty work. Great people. However, if you need help IN Seattle, for non-warranty work, I'd try Evergreen RV in Lynnwood, off of Hwy 99 (about 3 miles from I-5). Small mom/pop with excellent service.

There is also All-American RV in Fife... can't vouch for them (personally) though, mostly a SOB dealer / AS second. But, brakes are brakes, and they should be able to handle an AS warranty claim.

I'd check to make sure the wiring is sound. You can usually hear the hum of the magnets when the brakes are applied (obviously, NOT running next to the trailer, just have someone activate the manual brake lever on the controller, and listen outside next to each drum).
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was thinking the same thing...that one set of brakes wasn't gettin' power. You've ruled out just about everything else.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks everyone. We called Spokane and Nick was as nice and so willing to help as clay bags said he would be.

They checked the brakes, but did not find anything. They checked the 7pin plug and it too checked ok. Took if for a drive and did not pull as bad as before. In fact barely.

Doorgunner, JC replaced the cord and plug because the original plug would not stay plugged in withour several toothpicks jammed in to make it stay.

Having everything checked ok, we will reread this thread and apply the suggestions as to tire pressure, and other suggestions.

We are now at the KOA in Seattle. They have wifi, but I can't get it in our spot so have to go to the pool. No electricity and battery power is limited.

We won't tow again until Sunday when we go to Westport. So I don't kinow when I will have wifi.

Thanks again!!

Pat
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Make sure tire pressure is correct on all tires.

Have WD bars? Issue there??

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
If your TV pulls to the right when the brakes are applied, then you have less braking on the right hand side of the trailer than the left hand side.

As an example, if the brakes on the right side of the trailer were out, then as you applied trailer brakes, the left side would push the rear of the TV to the left making the TV go to the right.

Look for disconnected wiring on the right side brakes, or for that matter, no braking at all on the right side.

Andy
Interesting factoid Andy! Obvious as heck when you think about it - but not so obvious until somebody smart jars the mindset! Just the reverse of what you would think to do when adjusting the old mechanical Model A Ford brakes! Of course, in the end, it didn't matter much with the Model A anyway - you just made it a point to always have a friendly ditch, or a convenient oak tree, lined up!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote