Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OK, the light is beginning to shine now:

Brakesmart=P3=TruController Gold

And any one of them is the best around.

True, Sean?

By the way, thanks very much for lifting the veil.

(Jeez, mom said there would be days when marketing people would try to bamboozle me )

Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
OK, the light is beginning to shine now:

Brakesmart=P3=TruController Gold

And any one of them is the best around.

True, Sean?

By the way, thanks very much for lifting the veil.

(Jeez, mom said there would be days when marketing people would try to bamboozle me )
Well, that's a "little" off.

BrakeSmart is different than the P3 or the TruControl. It taps into the tow vehicle brake pressure.

However, the P3 = TruControl is correct. Both work with accelerometer technology.

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Sean
I have a Brakesmart labeled controller the does a good job with my 34SOD with disc brakes towed behind a 3/4 HD Duramax '07 GMC SB 4X4. I am able to adjust out all the Hensley bump for all road/speed conditions. I have been told that with the single and two axle trailers that is a different story. Would the Hensley Gold work better for all axle combinations with disk brakes than the Brakesmart design?
Gus Gustafson
"Space A"
Gus: We have a similar set up with a non-slide 34 with disc brakes, 2004 duramax and the brakesmart. We had a brake issue but don't think it was the brakesmart controller. Good thread.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Warranty

We haven't done much towing yet with our Hensley TruControl Gold, but it has performed well in at least one semi-panic stop on the interstate.

I have had occasion to try out their warranty service. Less than a year after we bought it, some of the display elements dimmed out and were not readable. I sent Hensley an e-mail asking them what to do, and they shipped a new unit out to me before I even read their answer. Great warranty service. The new unit display works fine.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
brake controller

Sean, I'm glad you spoke up about this issue. Yes, the tru-control/brakesmart unit I spoke of did have a pressure transducer that I screwed into the master cylinder of my tow vehicle. It was an awesome unit, and I kept it for future use just in case I tow a trailer again. I wish someone would devise a similar system to operate the brakes in my toad.

Bob and Nancy
2005 LYG 30 S/O
Jeep Wrangler toad
Michigan
Old 05-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The only other controller I see mentioned in the same sentence as the BrakeSmart is the MaxBrake. I am not saying anything other than to have a look at both, and then at all others (I am still waiting, hoping, to have a Jordan). These were comments from hotshot drivers (commercial service with pickup trucks).

MaxBrake™ - Hydraulic over Electric Variable Brake Controller

Dr. Performance - BrakeSmart

Best Brake Controller

The Jordan is an older technology, but KISS reliable.

These three are the only ones I would consider having, with BrakeSmart rated highest.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Anaheim , California
P3 and Henseley TruControl are not the same - Or Hensly is overtly frauduent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
The original TruControl, the one described that was purchase 5 or 6 years ago, was a BrakeSmart and had a transducer that tapped into the master cylinder of the tow vehicle to read brake pressure.

The current TruControl has an accelerometer that some how magically turned into being labeled a "gyroscope" by the company. Maybe a "gyroscope" sounds more high-tech than an accelerometer and they think they can charge twice what a comparable controller costs? It's just more "double talk" by the company that has mastered it as an art form. However, when the parts for the current TruControl are purchased from the vendor it is listed as an accelerometer by the company that sells that component. It is an accelerometer, regardless of what they call it.
Sean works for or owns "ProHitch" showing at the bottom of all his posts. I guess somehow they are competition for him. Maybe he just doesn't like more expensive stuff, but given my research, which is better than his obvious bias, there are a number of things that comet to light.

Tokonsha no where that I have seen even claims to have the functionality the Hensley openly advertises. The Gyroscope / Accelerometer that Hensely uses may be called anything by anybody, but the point is they are able to determine and react to different information than the P3 or any other controller on the market that I have found.

They know your incline (uphill vs downhill). They know your speed (Quite accurately). They know if you are banking right or left and to what degree. They know if you are accelerating or decelerating and at to what degree.

Every one of these things changes the timing and relative force with which the breaks are applied.

Beyond the Gyro thing, they know when the breaks are heating up and need more power to continue to provide the same stopping power.

If for example you are headed downhill and banking to the right. They apply the brakes correctly for that particular senario, or at least that is what they have tried to do.

There is no question in my mind that the Hensley Tru-Control is either the most sofisticated brake controller on the market, or they are going beyond marketing to direct lying.

Everything is bought on Faith, every statement is received on faith based on your perception.

BTW the economy is bad right now and people are less willing to spend more money. I would not have bought a TruControl either, but I still would have believed it was the best. I can make a financially based decision taking the risks without making excuses.

They are also coming out with a new model, and it will have automatic calibration, but the current model has manual initial calibration before you tighten some set screws. The price on that one will be $375 per plan, and it doesnt come out for a few months.

I am an IT manager, and a first time trailer puller (An excellent test case). The only standard of comparison I have is my Dad's descriptions of pulling a trailer back in the 70s.

I will log back on and let everybody know how my trip from Orange County California to Vancouver goes. 4000lb TT with 6 daughters and a wife. I will be traveling highway 1 at times, with curvy cliff side roads. If I survive I will log back on and let everybody know.

I consider myself an above average researcher, and BS detector. I am not messing around. For my money I believe the TruControler is the best on the market, matching according to many reviewers the performance of Electric/Hydraulic brakes controled by a brakesmart at a much higher price.

I am on a budget, and I probably would have bought a Prodigy if the price was not currently decreased.

None of the people slamming the Tru-Control have used it. All of those using it bought it, and are happy with it from my read. The biggest opponents are in the business and not to be trusted.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondervan View Post
None of the people slamming the Tru-Control have used it. All of those using it bought it, and are happy with it from my read. The biggest opponents are in the business and not to be trusted.
Yes, I have "used" it. I was the vice president of the company when it was developed. I'm the guy the NAMED IT when it was the private labeled BrakeSmart!

I don't have any problem with being trusted because I only report facts that can be verified.

I snipped it out of your post but I find it curious that you know the price of the new controller "per plan." Why not just come out and say who you are and that you work for the company?
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Anaheim , California
Sean's Comments, and associations reveal is Bias

HERE Is what I Had Typed up, before I saw that Sean had replied:
----------------------------------------------------
Ha, Click on Sean's "ProPride" link and it becomes obvious that he severed from the company he is now being critical of. I am guessing there is some bad blood there. He used to be a big wheel there and he broke of and made his own business. He may know the truth, but don't trust that you are getting the truth from him.

BTW - Looks like he has a pretty cool product!, but I suppose if you talk to Hensley Mfg, they would try to debunk it and tell you that the Hensley hitch is better.

-----------------------------------

Sean I am an IT Mangager working for a Commercial Digital Video Projection Company in Orange County California. My brother in Law announced that he was getting Married in Vancouver, and he wants the five of my daughters that have been born already to be in his wedding as flower girls. We have a 6th daughter on the way, and I wanted the safest Brake controller I could find to pull a Tent Trailer I am borrowing from My father in Law a few hour north of us (he is going to fly). We are encorporating a two week camping vacation into our Wedding trip. Not only do I not work for Hensley, but you used to, which makes you biased. I have never been a salesmen, but I have been a preacher, and plan to get back to that as soon as I am ready!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Anaheim , California
Oh, I just bought one today, and I asked what the price was going to be, and that is what I think he said. He gave me the exact price per plan, but I may not be remembering accurately. That was to the best of my memory, which isn't always great.

Good try though, I think all you have managed to do is find out I am just a customer, and you are a person whom I would never trust the opinion of given your previous association with the company.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #25
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondervan View Post
He may know the truth, but don't trust that you are getting the truth from him.
I resent being called a liar. My record with my customers, and NON customers, speaks for itself. I have helped THOUSANDS throughout the last 12+ years and you won't find one single instance that I have not given the truth. Please do your homework before you start spewing your nonsense.

I would think that a person using the name of a Christian company as a username would have some facts to back up the accusation that I don't tell the truth.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Anaheim , California
Sean,

Given that you only state facts that can be verified. I notice that there are a lot of things you did not say, and a lot of points I made that you did not contradict.

Of course you have used it, but you are not a regular customer, and when I come to forums I am looking for the opinions of regular customers, because what really matters is the actual experience, which I admittedly can't report on yet. Those normal customer experiences were all positive, you did not discuss your experience with the product at all, probably because you would have to admit that it works great, or get sued by your former employer. lol
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Anaheim , California
I never called you a liar! I said a person in your position cannot be trusted. I am calling you a salesman for a competative company. I did a lot of research, otherwise I would have nothing to say.

I would trust you just fine on another topic, other than the products of your former employer.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Anaheim , California
BTW - Zondervan was a last name long before it was a company name, like many other company names.