Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2003, 01:22 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Good point Maurice

Quote:
If a standalone axle rating includes the words, "to ground" it is the maximum weight you should see with that axle's tires on the scales. It includes an estimate of the weight of wheels and tires.
I was basing my comment on Dexter who ordinarily rates axles as to carrying capacity and doesn't include wheel and tire weight (ref. my Dexter manual). I don't know how Henschen rates their axles.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Update

My buddy installed the new brake assemblies, solder the wires together & then put heat shink over it.

Turned the drums, greased the bearings & adjusted the brakes.

Tomorrow we'll hook her up & see how it all works.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Thumbs up I got brakes!!!!!

A few days ago I went out and seated the new brakes and came back to let them cool down, but got side track on another job and finally got back out today.

1st: The new brakes are very aggressive(much more than the old ones were), but still don't lock-up on pavement. I've heard from a couple of sources that some axle/brake designs will not lock-up, but will stop aggressively. I'm going to email A/S Tech to confirm this.

But they are SAFE and I feel comfortable towing with them.

Note: The brakes do(all 4) now lock-up on dirt roads, which they didn't before.

2nd: The Jordan Ultima 2020 performed awesome! You don't even know that the trailer is behind you. With the Reese Brakeman I had the jerky feeling everytime I stopped. But the Jordan is truly amazing how there is zero lag time and the braking is so smooth.(I'm not comparing this to other controls, as I'm only familiar with these two)

So again, thanks to all for your input and it's great to finally know what it feels like to have trailer brakes !!

John
Old 02-06-2003, 12:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Talking More Good News

I received the following response from A/S. Now I truly have peace of mind!!

Dear sir, The Dexter Brakes we use will not lock up except maybe on gravel. This is done as a safety issue Have a good day

John
Old 02-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Good deal, John. Thanks for keeping us posted on it!