Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
Trailer brakes release all at once. Is it normal?

Hi Friends,
Picked up my 2014 Signature 23FB. I pull with a 2013 GMC Sierra SLE. I have an Activator III by Draw-Tite brake controller (Dealer installed it). It does a great job when applying my brakes. I have it set at 5. My problem is when I release my brake pedals, the brakes on the trailer come off at once (clunk! no gradual feeling as when applying brakes). I called Draw-Tie and they tell me it is normal. I thought I would bring it up here and see what you guys/galls can tell me from experience. Anyone else with an Activator III (PS: I pulled a 5th Wheel for 5 years with a built in Ford BC and I don't remember it doing this. Maybe I had different brakes on my rig)

Cheers
Al
Campbell River BC
roundrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah that is normal but a good proportional brake controller might reduce that since it does not apply 100% power all the time. Most generic brake controllers apply 100% brakes after a small delay. When released you are going from 100% to zero. With a proportional controller which is usually g-activated the brakes might go from 30% to zero if you are not using them heavily. Also you need to set the 100% mark by increasing gain till the brakes just lock at 25MPH and then back off that slightly so you don't drag a wheel when applying brakes.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Yeah that is normal but a good proportional brake controller might reduce that since it does not apply 100% power all the time. Most generic brake controllers apply 100% brakes after a small delay. When released you are going from 100% to zero. With a proportional controller which is usually g-activated the brakes might go from 30% to zero if you are not using them heavily. Also you need to set the 100% mark by increasing gain till the brakes just lock at 25MPH and then back off that slightly so you don't drag a wheel when applying brakes.

Perry
Thank you so much Perry! You saved me a lot of trouble. I will learn to fine tune it.

Al
Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I guees I should have done my homework and purchased a proportional brake controller. I see good reviews on the Tekonsha P3.

Dealer never offered or explained it to me.

Al
Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have used a P3 on two tow vehicles. Easy to install, fairly easy to set up braking. I use boost 1 to get faster initial braking when I hit the pedal. Works nice with our ProPride setup. No bumps.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have used a P3 on two tow vehicles. Easy to install, fairly easy to set up braking. I use boost 1 to get faster initial braking when I hit the pedal. Works nice with our ProPride setup. No bumps.

Thanks! I will be getting one of those. I just don't like the way the Activator III behaved. My built in on my 2006 F350 was pretty good. Had quite the adventure with it. My 5th wheel at the time weight 14000lbs and I lost my brakes in a very steep hill (Manning Park in British Columbia). The ground wire came off the trailer and that was it. The front brakes on my truck were smoking. We took a runaway lane at the bottom and it saved our lives! I can vouch that they work well.

Here is me getting my International Signature 23FB on Tuesday.

Cheers and thanks for the help all of you. I will be a regular on this forum..(.New to Airstream but I full timed for nearly 6 years so I do have somethings/experiences to share).

al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Al getting his 23FB.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	232745  
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I would seek an integrated brake controller from GMC. The P3 is good, but integrated is probably better.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I love my P3. Its the best control box I have ever used. It is PnP with the wiring pig tail specific to your TV.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I also have a P3 and love it. I run boost at zero in town and one on the road with a 2001 Safari 25 that weighs about 900 # less than my F-150 4x4. Electrical install was 5 minutes. Took a little longer to mount it since I was trying to leave no holes if I took it out.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I would seek an integrated brake controller from GMC. The P3 is good, but integrated is probably better.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Actually, when I took my truck to the GM dealer, this is what I expected them to do. But I ended up withthe Activator III instead. I told him that I was going to tow a 23ft Airstream. Anyway, I will be talking to them tomorow

My bad for being stupid on this one.
Will replay Forrest Gump before bed time!

Al
Old 02-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Also note that P3 will tell you if you have lost brake circuit. Display lights up "OC" when it happens. Hopefully not too late to do something about it. I've had it flash and I've stopped and reseated the umbilical to cure it.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote