Old 06-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
adonh

Don - a few on this forum have had problems but the majority have had no issues whatsoever. We have been very unlucky. I am puzzled as to why Airstream should discontinue using disc brakes on their flagship range. Aren't drum brakes stoneage technology?

John in the UK

Old 06-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #58
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
adonh
I am puzzled as to why Airstream should discontinue using disc brakes on their flagship range. Aren't drum brakes stoneage technology?

John in the UK
Sorry to hear 'ya still got problems with those brakes.

As I mentioned before...."if it 'aint broke, fix it 'til it is", maybe that's why the "upgrade" was done.

Drum's for Bum's.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #59
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
adonh

Don - a few on this forum have had problems but the majority have had no issues whatsoever. We have been very unlucky. I am puzzled as to why Airstream should discontinue using disc brakes on their flagship range. Aren't drum brakes stoneage technology?

John in the UK

Could be a number of factors
Cost to manufacter is higher than drum brakes
Repair frequency is higher causing customer disatisfaction
Average unit repair cost for warranty claims is higher than drum brakes
Drum brake technology was (is) good enough to do the job

Not suggesting that these are the actual reasons, just throwing some things out there.

Action
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
ROBERT CROSS

Thanks for your concerns. Our brakes have been working OK for the last 6 or 7 campgrounds and about 500 miles.

After reading the disclaimer in the latest issue of the Actibrake Owner's Manual about damage caused to the actuator by transient currents and the proximity of 120v cables, I fitted this plug and now disconnect whenever we are using shore power. It's the blue brake wire that can pick up these currents and wreck the actuator electronics.

John in the UK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	83027  
Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
ROBERT CROSS

Hope Ford don't "upgrade" the brakes when I next trade my Super Duty.

Action

Yes could be cost or could be reliability issues - ours haven't worked too well - who knows?

Brakes are important to me and I am alarmed at the return to an adequate but inferior system.

John in the UK
Old 06-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #62
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Do my old fart grey cells fail me, I seem to remember a juice system that used the TV hydraulics for brake activation? May be time to re-tink that idea.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 06-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
ROBERT CROSS

What with your old fart brain cells and my senile dementia, I'm sure we could cobble up a reliable, cheap and viable alternative to these new fangled electronic driven systems of today.

Here in the UK we are 20 years behind you folks. We use rod or cable brakes on trailers (caravans), boat trailers, cattle trailers, builders trailers, camping trailers, etc.

We've used them for 100 years and still do. There's no other system available. Juice systems are unheard of!!!

How about that then?

John in the UK
Old 06-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #64
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

I used to work at a Leyland dealership back in the 70's. It took them 'til then to figger out oil was a liquid and electricity needed a ground.

RLC

RLC
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Update

Our brakes have been working fine for some 9 months now and perhaps I should leave things as they are, but I have always liked the Ford TB controller and would very much like to remove the aftermarket controller I fitted and return to the Ford OEM unit.

The problems I have had and the fear of wrecking the Actibrake unit has stopped me from doing this.

From various posts the Ford SD TBC/Actibrake works fine for some and doesn't for others. So I have been looking at actuator options should I destroy another Actibrake unit. There isn't much out there. The Carlisle actuator doesn't work with 08 up Super Dutys, although there is an adaptor for models up to 07. The Dexter unit is not compatible with 08 up SD's and Titans Brake Rite Actuator is compatible and has an adaptor for Ford & Chevy TB controllers 06 up but not sure if it fits 08 up.

Have I got it right that a cheater (fitted between the ground and blue wires) simulates the brake magnets?

Ford changed from a 4 pin gray connector on the TB controller in 08 to a 14 pin connector, probably affecting compatibility with electric/hydraulic brake actuators.

Just seen details of the 2011 Ford SD and the controller is not compatible with elec/hyd brakes and is for drum brakes only.

Does anyone know of an actuator that will work with the 08 up Ford brake controller without the use of adaptors/dummy loads/fixes.

Thanks for any help, John in the UK
Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Further Update :

Just finished our evening meal a week gone last Sunday, my wife looked out the trailer window and said "the truck brake lights are flashing on & off". On checking, found the Hayes Genesis controller 'clicking' and each click operated the truck brake lights and the controller display. The truck had been parked up for two days with everything switched off.

Not got very far with Hayes (took them a week to respond to emails), but the trailer is booked in with the UK dealer in three weeks for the Actibrake recall check - will have to drive 259 miles to get there with no trailer brakes again!!

So, to date, 4 actuators, 2 dead controllers and 3.1/2 years of problems.
(There have been posts where the Actibrake actuator is thought to be responsible for frying controllers).

Our fourth actuator has worked ok for a while now and I am expecting it to be dry when the hole is drilled to check for fluid on the electrics. If it is dry, I guess they are going to tell me my braking system is OK!!!

John in the UK
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
could the clicking be a self resetting circuit breaker tripping because of an overload/short?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
richinny :

Could be.

Hayes Tech Support have replied and said it looks like a defective unit and will get back to me.

Checked out the obvious things and the 7 blade connector 'truck side'. Did find moisture behind the plug (a known fault). Cleaned this thoroughly and applied electric grease. Still have intermittent clicking from controller, display flashing between mode "EoverH/E" and "60% braking effort" and the truck brake lights flashing.

Have disconnected brake controller as it would apply trailer brakes without pressing brake pedal.

John in the UK