Originally Posted by silver 67
I have read that once you pull the pin you should not leave it out but a few minutes as it is sending a full12 volts to the brakes which can heat up and warp the hubs and other problems.
I accidentally pulled the pin on my break away switch and it was out for 3 days. I was hooked up, so no battery run down. No damage to the brakes, magnets or anything else at all.
The current is about 3 amps per brake, and at 12 volts that is around 36 watts. Considering the heat generated from actual braking going downhill etc, the 36 watts is nothing. The hubs certainly will not warp. The brake magnet adheres to a plate inside the wheel, not the drum or hub.
I certainly don't advocate pulling the pin and leaving it out, but no damage will occur if it is done.