Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Disc up-grade?

.....I was thinking of the disc brake up-grade.
When brake work was needed on our Classic and I resumed the research I noticed the new AS's don't have them. Does anyone know the reason?

Was looking for that bit of added piece-of-mind, never really had a problem with the drums, maybe just do the maintenance and leave well enough alone for now or.....
"if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

Bob
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
That's interesting how they ran it 'under and over'. Our calipers are completely symmetrical. The brake line feed, in your pic, is interchangeable with the connecting line (metal tube connecting inner and outer caliper) shown at the bottom of the pic. That is, you could run the feed from the actuator into the bottom port, and flip the connector pipe to the top.
Joe,

Just a clarification, caused I'm a bit confused. agreed, my calipers have M10 bubble flare at all connections, no L/R/Up/Down config.

My trailer was built with the hose coming off the frame, going forward and then first arcing up and then arcing down into the caliper, same as we have seen in many pictures. I chose to reconfig first with longer hoses and then still not satisfied I made the steel line extension loop as in the picture with the big gain of being able to bleed on the inboard caliper with the steel tube nut as the bleeder.

IMHO one of the major challanges to sucessfull quick acting hydraulic brakes is NO AIR in the system. Air gets compressed 1st then the brake fluid gets comprssed, loosing time and responsiveness. I think the routing that AS built does not offer the chance to bleed the inboard caliper, (YMMV) you are relying on the bubble being flushed down against its natural state of floating and seeking the high point.

You're suggestion might work.

If I was starting over, I'd give a serious look at routing the line like motorcycles do, along the swingarm with the line coming in from the front, not from behind as we have. I'd also research high performance 4 piston brake systems to learn from them.

I used all automotive brake components and no leaks. FWIW researching brake hose configurations is a challanging task, I even had a little bit of additional access, still not easy.

I'd also like to hear from the OP as to his progress and findings.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"I made the steel line extension loop as in the picture with the big gain of being able to bleed on the inboard caliper with the steel tube nut as the bleeder."

Brakes should be bled thru the nipple on the caliper, the longest line first, working forward towards the master cylinder. A pressure or vacuum pump will make the job easier and safer. Brake fluid does have a working life and should be changed every two years. Moisture in the system is the most common cause of fluid degradation, moisture boils in the caliper or wheel cylinder under severe use causing a soft pedal.

Bob
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
.....I was thinking of the disc brake up-grade.
When brake work was needed on our Classic and I resumed the research I noticed the new AS's don't have them. Does anyone know the reason?

Was looking for that bit of added piece-of-mind, never really had a problem with the drums, maybe just do the maintenance and leave well enough alone for now or.....
"if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

Bob
I think someone said that disc brakes have to be used regularly vs occasionally such as an AS. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I think someone said that disc brakes have to be used regularly vs occasionally such as an AS. Sal.
Sal,
It is true that consistent use improves disc brake performance. Most noticeably involving noise and high pedal pressure, at the Chevy store we called it "lot rot". A surface rust condition on the rotors from sitting on the lot without being driven. All deliveries got a good road test before customer pick-up.

Our trailer's do sit on the "lot" quite a bit, so that condition would be something we should expect.

More importantly, is there a mechanical reason they have been discontinued?
I have surge discs on a boat trailer and have had no concerns, not practical on our 'Streams though.

Time to Google...

Sorry...my bad, plenty of info right here if I had done a search.

Bob
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
surge brakes

Bob, I dont know about your area, but around here {brackish/salt water} I just see a lot of rusted brake lines on my sons boat trailers, basicly used twice a year. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Bob, I dont know about your area, but around here {brackish/salt water} I just see a lot of rusted brake lines on my sons boat trailers, basicly used twice a year. Sal.
Sal,

Real lucky in that regard...when we're wet it's usually in L Erie or Niagara R.

Bob
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If something causes the brakes to lock up and stay that way for extended periods of time like going down a mountain the fluid will eventually reach its boiling point and you will have no brakes. If the fluid is hot enough it could come back out the reservior. Depending on what type of brake controller you have and how it is adjusted the trailer brakes could have overheated from over use. The most boil tolerant fluid is Silicone DOT5 but you have to purge all your old fluid out. The newer DOT4 fluids claim to have high boiling points but they absorb water in a short time and the boiling point goes down. Silicone won't absorb water. The military uses if for this reason. It also won't corrode metal parts. Where was the fluid coming from? It has been known that rubber hoses can collapse inside when they get old and let brake fluid in but not let it out which means the brakes can stay on. Also a caliper piston can stick and cause overheating.

My dirt bikes would loose the back brake because I would overheat them and boil the fluid. This is a side effect of using the back brake to steer. I would stop pour some water on the caliper and everything was good for a while after that. Also removing shims can contribute to overheating because the shim in some cases acts as an insulator.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Status?

Hap3,

It's been a while, just very curious as to what was determined to have caused the problem, and what repairs were done?

Update please?

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lakewood , Colorado
Total Brake Failure

Gary, I'm still working with Airstream on a satisfactory resolution following the failure of the brakes on our 2008 31 classic. Will let you know how this all turns out.

Thanks, Rich
Hap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hap,

Thanks for the update. Good luck.

Gary