Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben J View Post
Wondering if a new/different controller will give me more braking power. I have a "draw-tite" controller now, probably pretty basic. I remember seeing "Prodigy" a few times. Is this better? Why? Any other recommendations? Will a different controller help?
Thanks folks.
If you question the brakes, there is a simple test you can do, to deterine if it's the brakes or the controller, or both.

When hooked up, pull the breakaway switch cable. Then see how well you can or cannot move the trailer. If the brakes are ok, the wheels should be locked.

CAUTION DO NOT LEAVE THE CABLE PULLED FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES.If you do, you can burn up the brake system.

Make your decision from that test as to where the lack of adequate brakes may be.

A '73, would have the old style round magnet brake system. If you find that the brakes are not holding, replace the backing plates with the newer style oval magnet system. They provided much more braking power than the round magnet brakes ever did.

Andy

Old 04-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
We've been very happy with a Tekonsha P3 that we've used since November 2008. It adjusts very easily, and performs very nicely. (Be sure to read the instructions!)

Try to get the matching plug-in harness that fits your tow vehicle - it makes installation so easy and should only cost ~$15.

I spent much more time trying to figure out where to locate the controller than it took to actually install it in our '08 F150. We finally opted to park it on top of the tray in the center of the dashboard. It was then a simple matter to remove the rubber mat from the tray, drill a hole in the corner of the tray big enough to pass the harness connector through, and then drop the harness down to the Ford factory connector. Actual install time < 15 minutes.

I've seen a lot of brake controllers hung vertically on the face of the dashboard, or below the dashboard. It makes much more sense to me to have a brake controller on top of the dash where its in your normal line of vision and reach, rather than having to look down at it, much less reaching around in front of your knees to get to it, especially in a hurry!

Travel safely!

Joseph

Old 04-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post

I've seen a lot of brake controllers hung vertically on the face of the dashboard, or below the dashboard. It makes much more sense to me to have a brake controller on top of the dash where its in your normal line of vision and reach, rather than having to look down at it, much less reaching around in front of your knees to get to it, especially in a hurry!

That might make sense if you have never used a brake controller, it would be good to place it somewhere like that. But if you've towed a lot, using brake controllers a lot in a different location, it would probably be better to leave it where you are used to having it. During an emergency is not the time to be trying to remember where you have mounted the brake controller.
Also, depending on the tow vehicle, there may be air bags inside the dash. If that is the case, and you have an accident that deploys the airbag, your brake controller could turn into a missile, aimed directly at you. Do your research before mounting the controller on top of the dash.