Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
:) , Germany
Those with the upgrade: Hydraulic Actuator Wiring and Brake Line Routing

I am contemplating installing disc brakes and I am curious as to how the actuator is wired into the tow vehicle and coach power and how the handy folks here have routed their new brake lines. A few (mind-numbing) specific questions:

1. My assumption is that the actuator is wired into the umbilical by tapping into the "beginning" of the umbilical wiring just under/inside the nose of the coach, yes?

2. I would install the actuator inside the unused battery box just aft of the propane tanks as found on the Classics. Will the dimensions of the Carlisle actuator allow for a good fit and still allow the lid to be closed and latched? Online pics make this thing look huge.

3. Obviously, I want to run the lines in such a way as to avoid sharp/significant bends, etc. My assumption is that I would need to drill/cut the battery box to provide straight through brake line routing back to the wheels, yes?

4. Any pics of your install, brake line routing/mounting along the underside of the trailer?

Most everything else seems straight forward. I know there are lots of these discussions, so I don't want to re-hash what's already been stated. But if anyone has any good points of advice, experience, etc., I am all ears.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Kyle,

My rig came with EOH so when I installed the Carlisle, I just fit it where I wanted it. Don't remember why I angled it, but I just bent the line a touch and bolted it in. The wiring was a transfer situation.

Underbody pic's don't really have any of those. The frame to axle transition is the challange. I have a lot of pic's but some of this answer may bepend on if you get Dexter, Kodiak or something else. I redid my hoses prior to the recall and the routing and technique can make or break the situation, can follow up if you would like further info.

Must. Have. Disc. Brakes.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HBA 1600.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	183140  

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
You stalking me, Gary??? Thanks for the info, again.

So it looks like the Carlisle will fit just fine. But I don't have that hole in the battery box, so it looks like I'll be cutting, at least a little.

I am more inclined to go with Kodiak as I understand they seem to not be so proprietary in their parts selection, unlike Dexter.

Andy's kit seems to be a winner as far as all-in-one-package easy, but I wish they had some stainless options. Though I also think that may be a wash.

My assumption is that the never-lube bearings I have now will carry over to the new rotors, yes?

Anyone else???
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Bump for more comments.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Last fall at the Airstream Service Center in Jackson Center I saw they offer a disc brake conversion. Don't remember the manufacturer.

Has anyone had it installed there, have comments about it, or checked the price?

doug k
Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
I am contemplating installing disc brakes and I am curious as to how the actuator is wired into the tow vehicle and coach power and how the handy folks here have routed their new brake lines. A few (mind-numbing) specific questions:

1. My assumption is that the actuator is wired into the umbilical by tapping into the "beginning" of the umbilical wiring just under/inside the nose of the coach, yes?

2. I would install the actuator inside the unused battery box just aft of the propane tanks as found on the Classics. Will the dimensions of the Carlisle actuator allow for a good fit and still allow the lid to be closed and latched? Online pics make this thing look huge.

3. Obviously, I want to run the lines in such a way as to avoid sharp/significant bends, etc. My assumption is that I would need to drill/cut the battery box to provide straight through brake line routing back to the wheels, yes?

4. Any pics of your install, brake line routing/mounting along the underside of the trailer?

Most everything else seems straight forward. I know there are lots of these discussions, so I don't want to re-hash what's already been stated. But if anyone has any good points of advice, experience, etc., I am all ears.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle
Instead of the brake wire running to the brakes, it's simply wired to the actuator instead.

Andy
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Instead of the brake wire running to the brakes, it's simply wired to the actuator instead.

Andy

Thank you, sir. But maybe it's a bad question. I am wondering how folks tapped into the trailer's umbilical to get brake signal from the tow vehicle to provide to the actuator. I don't really want to hack into the umbilical, but would rather run the wire from the actuator into the front end of the coach where all the umbilical conncetions are made, in order to keep an OE and professional look post-installation.

From memory, I just don't know how possible it would be to feed the wire from the actuator into the nose of the coach. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
Thank you, sir. But maybe it's a bad question. I am wondering how folks tapped into the trailer's umbilical to get brake signal from the tow vehicle to provide to the actuator. I don't really want to hack into the umbilical, but would rather run the wire from the actuator into the front end of the coach where all the umbilical conncetions are made, in order to keep an OE and professional look post-installation.

From memory, I just don't know how possible it would be to feed the wire from the actuator into the nose of the coach. Thanks again.
Under the front end of the trailer, you should find a square plate about 8" x 8" or so.

Take that plate off.

You should find the junction of the cable and wires that go thru the trailer.

You can easily splice there and route the wire as need be.

Andy
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The umbillical cord should have a blue colored 10 ga wire for the brakes. It is likely this wire is up between the front walls unless the newer models have a junction box under the trailer. At the end of this umbillical wire there will be another wire coming from the break a way switch. I would think that the wire from the umbilical cord and the wire from the down stream side of the break a way switch would need to be wired to the input wire to the actuator.
Did the kit come with a wiring schematic that you could post up?
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
The umbillical cord should have a blue colored 10 ga wire for the brakes. It is likely this wire is up between the front walls unless the newer models have a junction box under the trailer. At the end of this umbillical wire there will be another wire coming from the break a way switch. I would think that the wire from the umbilical cord and the wire from the down stream side of the break a way switch would need to be wired to the input wire to the actuator.
Did the kit come with a wiring schematic that you could post up?
Airstreams blue wire is for the charge line.

Andy
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Good info, gents. Thanks!