Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

The brakes.

Hello All,

I took off one of my wheels yesterday to do a little under-the-wheel-well work. I gave the wheel a spin while it was up and crrreeeeaaaak, no free spin. I noticed that my hubs were getting warmer than I thought they should the other day when I towed...

So what do I do about this? Are the brakes adjustable? The axle is brand new from Inland and the hubs were like this when it came, not very freely spinning, I assumed it was the brakes and they would loosen after a bit.

Any ideas?

Carlos Ferguson
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Hello All,

I took off one of my wheels yesterday to do a little under-the-wheel-well work. I gave the wheel a spin while it was up and crrreeeeaaaak, no free spin. I noticed that my hubs were getting warmer than I thought they should the other day when I towed...

So what do I do about this? Are the brakes adjustable? The axle is brand new from Inland and the hubs were like this when it came, not very freely spinning, I assumed it was the brakes and they would loosen after a bit.

Any ideas?

Carlos Ferguson
Carlos,
Brakes are adjustable, there should be a little plastic plug on the back side of the mounting plate, you take that off and reach in with a brake tool, it looks like a small pry bar or bent screwdriver, you can adjust the little star wheel to tighten or loosen the brakes. Don't ask me which way to turn it because I always get it wrong and have to go the other way You want to adjust them to just the point of dragging and not much more.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Aaron!
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Brake Austment

Hi Carlos,
If you turn the star wheel inside the brake down it will loosen up the brakes. Up will tighten them up. Regards Russell in Sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote