Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 309
Tekonsha Primus IQ

Does anyone have any experience with this new brake controller? Is it "betterer" than the P3?
Bob
__________________

__________________
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,764
Images: 5
I don't know anything about the Primus IQ.

I am currently using a Tekonsha Prodigy in my '05 Suburban, and a Tekonsha P3 in my '04 Suburban. Both have worked very well for me, but I like the P3 better.

I'm not sure about one being "better" than the others, but in ascending price order, it is the Primus IQ, then the Prodigy, and the P3 is the most expensive.

Brian
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,272
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Better?

Hi, my first brake controller was a Tekonsha Voyager and it worked well, but was a pain to make adjustments because it had no numbers to go by, just feel. The Tekonsha Prodigy has worked very well for many people. I was going to upgrade to the Prodigy when the P-3 came out, so I went with the P-3 and I am very happy with it. I think all of the Tekonsha brake controllers are good, but I would have to put them in order of price, from good to better.

(1.) Voyager.................Good

(2.) Primus IQ...............Better

(3.) Prodigy...........Very Good

(4.) P-3.......................Best

The picture on the left shows the Voyager that I removed; And I replaced it with the P-3, shown in the picture on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 407 (Large).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	85855   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 406 (Large).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	85856  

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 309
Clear as mud!

Thanks for the info ... to read the website you would think that the "IQ" was the latest and greatest. The ad copy was "totally" written by someone from California! I was a bit put off by the P3's multifunction buttons. kind of like digital watches when they first came out ... you never knew which button to press for what or what sequence to press them in. (I don't have a watch ...) The good 'ol boy that I like to deal with for parts said that the Techumsa 9030 was the best. Thats what he sells anyway but upon further investigation it seems to be yesterday's technology.
Guess I'll go with a P3.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my first brake controller was a Tekonsha Voyager and it worked well, but was a pain to make adjustments because it had no numbers to go by, just feel. The Tekonsha Prodigy has worked very well for many people. I was going to upgrade to the Prodigy when the P-3 came out, so I went with the P-3 and I am very happy with it. I think all of the Tekonsha brake controllers are good, but I would have to put them in order of price, from good to better.

(1.) Voyager.................Good

(2.) Primus IQ...............Better

(3.) Prodigy...........Very Good

(4.) P-3.......................Best

The picture on the left shows the Voyager that I removed; And I replaced it with the P-3, shown in the picture on the right.
__________________
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
Bob, I've got the P3. It's very nice and simple. It has the up/down buttons on the left for more or less braking. The color LCD is normally blue until the trailer is disconnected and it flashes red for a short while. It has a large swing lever underneath to manually apply braking. You can go into the menu and change lots of settings, colors and brightness if you want. Other than dimming the brightness of the LCD a little, the defaults are fine for me.

It comes with a short DVD on installation and tuning the boost level for your truck and trailer. Works good so far.
__________________
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 309
Thanks!
UMMM ... is the picture of your stretched truck real or just Memorex?
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Bob, I've got the P3. It's very nice and simple. It has the up/down buttons on the left for more or less braking. The color LCD is normally blue until the trailer is disconnected and it flashes red for a short while. It has a large swing lever underneath to manually apply braking. You can go into the menu and change lots of settings, colors and brightness if you want. Other than dimming the brightness of the LCD a little, the defaults are fine for me.

It comes with a short DVD on installation and tuning the boost level for your truck and trailer. Works good so far.
__________________
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 309
Irony ...

I find a P3 in town and head out to the RV dealer(SOB). In talking to the parts guy I said "Some guy in north county said the Techumsa 9030 is the best!" expecting the guy to laugh ... but he said "Thats what I use!!! Its the Best! It has inertia control!" Color me stupid ... unhappily bought the P3 and went home ... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
__________________
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
You shouldn't be unhappy about buying a P3, you have a good brake controller. Google doesn't know anything about a Techumsa brake controller? Is that the correct spelling?
__________________
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,764
Images: 5
I don't know anything about the Techumsa 9030. The Tekonsha 9030 is the Voyager, and it is one of their lower end controllers. It sounds like you were talking to an idiot. The P3 is what you want.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,272
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Thanks for the info ... to read the website you would think that the "IQ" was the latest and greatest. The ad copy was "totally" written by someone from California! I was a bit put off by the P3's multifunction buttons. kind of like digital watches when they first came out ... you never knew which button to press for what or what sequence to press them in. (I don't have a watch ...) The good 'ol boy that I like to deal with for parts said that the Techumsa 9030 was the best. Thats what he sells anyway but upon further investigation it seems to be yesterday's technology.
Guess I'll go with a P3.
Bob
Hi, I will tell you from experience the the four button Tekonsha P-3 is much easier to adjust than the Tekonsha Voyager. Don't let the four buttons intimidate you. The Voyager has two knobs and an LED that is green and will turn red, but half way in-between it will turn orange. You have no numbers or scale to go by, so all adjustments on the Voyager are by feel. On the P-3 You can set it at 8.3 and if it is too high you can set it at 8.2, 8.1, or 8.0 Etc. until you have the desired setting.

Maybe I understand it better because I'm a native Californian.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
On the trip from Lava Beds Cararally to Carmel via Reno my ancient controller was cutting in and out. It's done that before so as we approached a Camping World I made the sudden decision to get something new. The Prodigy was on sale and I heard that it's good unit so I bought one and planned to install it at the next stop. I had the wire stripper, butt splices and crimper with me. But that next overniter and the weekend in Carmel and the subsequent trip home last Tues the old controller behaved itself. The Prodigy is mounted up under the dash now (Bob shouldn't bang his knees) but still haven't wired it up yet. Gotta do that soon as we are off again next week.
Neil
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
ronstory's Avatar
 
1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 305
Images: 2
Just chiming in... I have the P3 and it works just fine and gives me enough info in 'english' vs. the decdoe of the blinking lights.

My 2 cents.
__________________
Thanks,
Ron
ronstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 309
cleaning out my ears!

AAAH! I'll bet that when I was talking to the good 'ol boy (he had a slight downstate accent) that he SAID Teknosha but I HEARD Techumsa. Now it all becomes clear!
Got the P3 and am putting it in today ready for my next weeks trim to Nm.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I don't know anything about the Techumsa 9030. The Tekonsha 9030 is the Voyager, and it is one of their lower end controllers. It sounds like you were talking to an idiot. The P3 is what you want.

Brian
__________________

__________________
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake controller


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DOA Tekonsha P3? Hawkeye5 Brakes & Brake Controllers 14 05-16-2008 04:42 PM
Stoves: Primus, Optimus, Peak1 etc RedSHED Off Topic Forum 18 05-14-2008 12:03 PM
A Somewhat Obscure Tekonsha Accessory ROBERT CROSS Tow Vehicles 4 09-03-2007 08:07 AM
New Tekonsha Prodigy.Old Trailer hhuber Brakes & Brake Controllers 1 04-14-2003 08:12 PM
Tekonsha Prodigy vs Voyager Silvertwinkie Brakes & Brake Controllers 11 04-14-2003 07:38 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.