Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Stripped lug threads

Hello,
I have a 28' Argosy Center Bath. Last year I had someone else repack the bearings and this year I did it my self. While repacking a few issues cropped up. First I had to replace all of the bearings since they were pitted and discolored. Next, I noticed a couple of the bolt holes for the lug bolts were stripped. I ran a thread chaser through the holes, but one thread was damaged beyond repair (I re-tapped with no luck). It seems a waste to buy a whole new drum to replace it. It's a 10" x 2-1/4" 6 hole on 5-1/2".

Has anyone used helicoils or time serts to repair these threads? Or what about drilling them out and inserting studs? I don't have much in terms of a machine shop so it wouldn't be feasible to drill out a new hole pattern.

I called a couple local places and they didn't have anything in stock and I called a local mechanic and he didn't have the tools to do it. For the time serts it is more or less the same price as the getting two new hubs (w/ studs) instead of repairing what I have.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
steve0white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
New hubs are easily available. If the cost is close (considering the value of your time), I'd suggest that you get new hubs. Recycle the old ones to minimize the waste.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I'd recommend new drums rather than trying to fix bad threads with studs, inserts, or re-tapping. The cost drums is in line with the effort and money you'll likely expend going the repair route, not to mention the comfort of knowing the work was done correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
99% of lug bolt and stud problems are from improper use of impact wrenches.

You can put a helicoil in there but the kit might cost as much as a new drum. Most of the time you need an oddball drill bit and oddball tap to install them. The inserts themselves are only about $1 each but all the bits to make it work might cost $100.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You can drill and put inserts in for not as much as you think if you do it yourself new hubs are about 115$ each
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll just buy some new ones.
steve0white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
The threads on one of my wheel hubs is stripped so the bolt won't tighten. I think my best option is to replace the wheel hub. But wondering if it's possible to find this older style hub with bolt or should I change it out for the more standard design with the lug bolt attached to the wheel hub. And will those even fit on my axle.
HoldenGatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenGatt View Post
The threads on one of my wheel hubs is stripped so the bolt won't tighten. I think my best option is to replace the wheel hub. But wondering if it's possible to find this older style hub with bolt or should I change it out for the more standard design with the lug bolt attached to the wheel hub. And will those even fit on my axle.

I went through this with my 1975 Airstream a number of years ago. The others are right. I ended up buying a new drum complete with bearings and seal for only about $20 more than a helicoil set would have cost. Yes, the new drum had pressed-in studs, not threaded bolt holes, and came with wheel nuts.

A local auto parts store was able to supply everything I needed.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
Our 73 Safari had those screw in lug bolts. Converting to more traditional press in studs sure makes it easier install the tire/wheel assembly.
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote