Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Strange noise coming from the wheels

I have this strange noise, kinda like metal chirping or clacking when I get the trailer going 15mph and faster. I cannot figure out what the noise is or even exactly where it is coming from. after riding my kids bike along side the trailer while my neighbor drove, I have concluded that the noise is coming from the wheels. The only thing I can think is that the disc brakes pads are rattling as they are loose, or it could be the bearings going out or possibly it could be the little hub inserts on the the aluminum wheels. Honestly, I am just guessing and am hoping someone might shed some light on the mystery. I recently repacked the bearings on the trailer this past summer and followed the instructions on this forum to the tee. I am hoping this noise is not a result of me doing something wrong but at this point I am only guessing. Any thoughts?
wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
In my past life I worked in the auto repair business. It is very common for wheel covers and wheel trim to make clicking, and other noises. IMO it would be less likely for the disk brakes to be making noise, usually they will click when applying brakes after changing directions, ie forward or backward. This would cause the pad to shift in the direction of the wheel rotation.

Get a rubber mallett and bang around on the wheel, you can usually duplicate the noise and pinpoint it.

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Could be the wheel covers but all the clicking and clackings I've had in vehicles I've driven in 52 years have been bad bearings.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The 77's that came with disk brakes usually came with Mag wheels with no hub caps, so that is out. The 40 year old disk brakes usually make noise and wear unevenly. It is likely one of the brake shoes has one end of one pad worn out. The only way I got mine to wear evenly was to, rotate them half way through their life. Andy has new sets but he charges alot. You can buy them direct for alot less if you can locate the supplier.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Strange noise from wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.yl
I have this strange noise, kinda like metal chirping or clacking when I get the trailer going 15mph and faster. I cannot figure out what the noise is or even exactly where it is coming from. after riding my kids bike along side the trailer while my neighbor drove, I have concluded that the noise is coming from the wheels. The only thing I can think is that the disc brakes pads are rattling as they are loose, or it could be the bearings going out or possibly it could be the little hub inserts on the the aluminum wheels. Honestly, I am just guessing and am hoping someone might shed some light on the mystery. I recently repacked the bearings on the trailer this past summer and followed the instructions on this forum to the tee. I am hoping this noise is not a result of me doing something wrong but at this point I am only guessing. Any thoughts?
wayne
Hi Wayne; Remove wheel caps and repeat your drive test. Second, jack up one side of the trailer and spin the wheels by hand, any growling noise while wheel is rotating indicates problem with bearings which is magnified under load. Do not mistake brake pad drag for the low growl of the bearing. Compare the sound of each wheel against rest of them. Loose lug nut may be possibility. Check for cracked welds on inside of rims. Check torque on axle retaining bolts to frame, by trying to turn bolt heads exposed behind the wheels. If they turn easy, they are loose. Check shock absorber bushings for free play. Finally be sure your trailer plug is clean and dry at the TV.
Hope you uncover the mystery. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Noises?

I'd vote for check the bearings...its a good time of the year to grease 'em up anyway.
I really subscribe to the "get a bigger hammer" school of thought too.
Apply it to all problems.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Hey all,
thanks for the advice. I am going to start eliminating the possibilities as boatdoc suggests. I will keep you posted. I was hoping to get to it today but the Christmas tree and lights had to come first. My 10 year old daughter was driving the day's agenda. Oh well.
Wayne
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Earlier in the 20th century mischievious pranksters would put rocks in peoples hub caps. That silliness died out with full wheel covers as it did not have the same effect. If you have hub caps on your AS and have old pranksters that live near you.......

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Wayne; Remove wheel caps and repeat your drive test. Second, jack up one side of the trailer and spin the wheels by hand, any growling noise while wheel is rotating indicates problem with bearings which is magnified under load. Do not mistake brake pad drag for the low growl of the bearing. Compare the sound of each wheel against rest of them. Loose lug nut may be possibility. Check for cracked welds on inside of rims. Check torque on axle retaining bolts to frame, by trying to turn bolt heads exposed behind the wheels. If they turn easy, they are loose. Check shock absorber bushings for free play. Finally be sure your trailer plug is clean and dry at the TV.
Hope you uncover the mystery. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Boatdoc, I am just curious about how the trailer plug could be a factor in this noise mystery. One reason is that I live in Oregon where it rains alot in the winter and having a dry trailer plug is difficult. we are wet most of the time up here. Just curious.
thanks for your input.
wayne
Old 12-11-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Boatdoc, I am just curious about how the trailer plug could be a factor in this noise mystery. One reason is that I live in Oregon where it rains alot in the winter and having a dry trailer plug is difficult. we are wet most of the time up here. Just curious.
thanks for your input.
wayne
Wayne,
You can get single strands of wire bridging each other that will cause partial/intermittent application of the brakes. I have actually had a similar problem that was caused by a dual filament bulb that had vibrated so much in it's socket that the lead on the leads was bridging the terminals in the socket...took a while to find that one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dry Plug (Hijack)

Quote:
thanks for your input.
wayne
Glad Press & Seal - wrap it around your plug and seal tightly when you aren't towing. I keep a roll in "Big Dawg" my tow vehicle.

ANOTHER item from the "Girl's Tool Kit" that's real handy.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
wayne
Several different things can contribute to those noises.

1. Worn clevis pins.

2. Worn bushings in the calipers.

3. Worn or loose studs on the caliper brackets.

4. Warped rotors.

5. Lastly, a defective bearing.

You must remove the wheels to thoroughly inspect each disc brake assembly.

You can rotate each rotor by hand, to find which one is causing the noise.

They should all be absolutely silent.

Depending on what you find, we have replacement parts for the original Airstream disc brake system. We also overhaul the calipers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Noise in wheels

Quote:
thanks for your input.
wayne
Hey Wayne; I was sure you would know why I said it. A wet shorted connection in your plug can momentarily send partial current to your brakes causing the solenoids to clack. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Strange noise is still there

Quote:
wayne
I still have this noise I described several months ago and was hoping it would go away when I replaced the bearings several days ago. I have narrowed it down to the the calipers. I raised the trailer and spun each wheel. I found that there is some very slight play in the wheels and this results in a rattle at the caliber They rattle on the mounting posts very slightly but enough to make the noise. My question is whether there should be any play in the wheels at all? Have I not tightened the bearing nut down enough?
thanks
wayne
Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You should feel a little play in the wheels when they are tightened correctly.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I still have this noise I described several months ago and was hoping it would go away when I replaced the bearings several days ago. I have narrowed it down to the the calipers. I raised the trailer and spun each wheel. I found that there is some very slight play in the wheels and this results in a rattle at the caliber They rattle on the mounting posts very slightly but enough to make the noise. My question is whether there should be any play in the wheels at all? Have I not tightened the bearing nut down enough?
thanks
wayne
There should be very little, if any, play. Are the pads rattling in the calipers? Or are the entire caliper assemblies rattling? If the pads are rattling, it's a pretty easy fix. Just slather some "disc brake quiet" on the BACKS of the pads, let the stuff get tacky, and reassemble them. The guide pins should not rattle. There should be rubber bushings holding them from rattling, usually mounted inside the mounting holes for the guid pins. BTW, guide pins is the term for the fancy sliding bolts that hold the calipers in place
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
thanks
wayne
In time, the bushings and clevis pins wear.

When enough wear has taken place, strange noises seemingly from the wheels will take place.

We have the original bushings and clevis pins, along with many other parts for the original disc brakes, including the pads, pistons, boots, etc.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
When I replaced the bearings on my '77 which had the disc brakes, I used the red silicone for disc brake pins. It worked like a charm.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Thanks

I am going to try the silicone first. But I will check the bushings on the calipers because I think this is where the most noise is emanating.

Andy, I read over this thread again and should have taken your advice back in December and checked the bushings then. I think this is the problem.
Thanks all for the help....again!
Terry, thanks also for teaching me the correct terminology re; the guide pins.
There is no shortage of great info on this forum.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
1992 29' Excella
Marietta , Georgia
Wayne,

I am having the same noise problem with my 77 disc brakes. They have mentioned a rubber bushing on the clevis/guide pins but I haven't heard of those before. That could be my problem, I guess. I'll replace clevis/guide pins first but would like to know about the rubber bushings.
Streamers is offline   Reply With Quote