Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Squeaking Drums?

My '07 19' Bambi has a squeak emanating from one of the wheels. I took it in for service and the guy said that it might have been coming from the drum.

First of all, I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience, and secondly after I got home, I didn't understand why they were not willing to help me. I mean the thing is brand new, and my thought now is that they need to fix it, no matter what the cause.

thanks.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Squeaking from the wheels usually is related to the wheel bearings or glazing on the drums. When does the squeaking occur? When you are driving or when you apply the brakes?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A squeaking brake drum could merely be from brake dust, or a bit of moisture causing some rust of the surface of the drum. It can also be from grooves worn in the drum and shoes from use. Take it in under warranty, and ask them to check for a squeak from the wheel area. Let them find it for you, I have had more problems finding problems when the customer tells me what is wrong.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, some squeaking and noise from brakes is normal; But they should verify the extent of the noise and inspect the brakes for cracked lineing or broken return springs Etc. Then if no physical damage is found you will feel safer and have to just live with the noise. Normal brakes [brakes with absolutely nothing wrong or no repairable damage] can and will make noise from moisture, dirt, brake dust, and temperature changes. Basically all noises are vibrations. [that is how we hear them] And brakes have friction material rubbing against iron, thus vibration.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Squeaking from the wheels usually is related to the wheel bearings or glazing on the drums. When does the squeaking occur? When you are driving or when you apply the brakes?
I can only hear the squeaking noise when I'm actually in the A/S, walking around. That's what makes it so annoying. Any movement in the trailer whatsoever (even shifting positions in bed) will set it off.

thanks for the replies.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambn
I can only hear the squeaking noise when I'm actually in the A/S, walking around. That's what makes it so annoying. Any movement in the trailer whatsoever (even shifting positions in bed) will set it off.
Now I'm really stumped.

I would be annoyed too. The only thing I can suggest at this point is that you have someone stand outside while someone on the inside moves around in the trailer. That way you can really zero in on the area that is squeaking which may provide you with more insights as to what is causing it.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambn

thanks for the replies.
Hi, that changes the story some. Maybe the axle is makeing the noise. Heard that sometimes the axle / spindle assembly gets installed too far inward and rubs against the axle tube. Lube it or have the dealer replace it. Lesson number one, let the dealer diagnois it. You make the noise happen, as you say, and let them hear, find, and fix it. By you saying the brake drum is makeing the noise steers them off into the wrong direction; Like the rest of us talking about brake noises?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
My tandem does this too

My 25' Safari does what sounds like the same thing. It had all the sounds of a squeaking leaf spring hanger but alas...no leaf springs! It was driving us nuts...interesting, it never did it while hooked up to the TV and sitting there with the parking brake on (it's a 6 spd).
Finally had the kids run around and walk normally back and forth within the trailer while I listened for the sound.

I determined it to be in the right front drum and my guess is that the magnet is lightly touching the drums surface. I proved this by removing the wheel and no sound. I didn't pull the drum off to see if something was broken or loose as the brake works fine when tested (had the wife hit the manual brake lever on the Prodigy while I turned the drum) and underway. When I repack the bearings this month, I'll have a chance to verify.

I learned this about a year and a half ago...have been using RotoChoks to totally imobilize the wheel while parked and have not heard the sound since (unless parked in the driveway and no RotoChoks).

Your single axle obviously wouldn't be able to use the RotoChok but maybe you could try energizing your brakes while parked and see if you still get the squeak...just to test, of course.

Marc
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy
My 25' Safari does what sounds like the same thing. It had all the sounds of a squeaking leaf spring hanger but alas...no leaf springs! It was driving us nuts...interesting, it never did it while hooked up to the TV and sitting there with the parking brake on (it's a 6 spd).
Finally had the kids run around and walk normally back and forth within the trailer while I listened for the sound.

I determined it to be in the right front drum and my guess is that the magnet is lightly touching the drums surface. I proved this by removing the wheel and no sound. I didn't pull the drum off to see if something was broken or loose as the brake works fine when tested (had the wife hit the manual brake lever on the Prodigy while I turned the drum) and underway. When I repack the bearings this month, I'll have a chance to verify.

I learned this about a year and a half ago...have been using RotoChoks to totally imobilize the wheel while parked and have not heard the sound since (unless parked in the driveway and no RotoChoks).

Your single axle obviously wouldn't be able to use the RotoChok but maybe you could try energizing your brakes while parked and see if you still get the squeak...just to test, of course.

Marc
I actually had my A/S in for service a few weeks back for something else, and while I was there I mentioned the squeaking. It was the service guys that tipped me it might be the drum -- I wouldn't come up with something like that on my own. Although, when I go back in, I don't think I'll mention anything about the previous visit and what they said. They may not even remember, and who knows, maybe tell me something different, I don't know.

That's interesting intel about your similiar experience. I may have to go in for another service issue so I'll ask again about the noise. It seems to be getting worse, if that's possible. I do an alright job of tunning it out, but I certainly want the thing fixed like new. Wait a minute, it is new... Hmm...

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My 25' Safari made squeeking noises when camping - only when the stabilizers were down....
Old 05-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
It sounds like B25guy has it right ,that magnet will lightly rub on the drum causing the squeak ,Id get your dealer to check it as all have said ,and pull
the drum and look for a prematurely worn magnet (maybe possible) or they can replace it ,this annoying squeak may return ,so the chock idea to immobilize the wheels is good advice.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Let us know what the fix ends up being. This would be good data for some one else that a squeak like that. One could go nuts looking for it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action