Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Where did you see sand? If on the outside, nothing unusual but if actually is in the wheel bearing would mean a complete flushing out. And if in one is it in the rest.
Thickness of grease would change with use and time of year, temp big factor, but on looking at my grease gun tub have noticed new greases do separate where I remember when you could leave a grease gun hang for a couple of years and it would look the same, now it drips oil.
Your finesse of checking brake action would be easier if all wheels had same amount of grease and you could feel the drag of the shoe and back off one turn of star adjuster, if the drum is round it would work, a bent drum would change the feel and make it impossible to set.

Hey Dave, I found the sand mostly at the outside of the spindle nut. I thought I found some inside, nearer to the bearings but it may have just been a change of viscosity (???) of the grease there. I did have a cap come off one wheel awhile ago while in transit and I threw a spare cap on - maybe that was the wheel??? I'll go ahead and clean and regrease that wheel and check the remaining two. I did read somewhere on this forum that you are not suppose to add grease --- but rather replace all the grease. Hummmm.

I don't think anything is damaged on the drum - they should have less than 1000 miles on them and I didn't notice any excessive wear on the shoes. Thanks for tips - I'll readjust the brakes once I repack the bearings. After watching my friend, I think I have a better idea of how much drag to expect.

Laura

Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Hey Dave, I found the sand mostly at the outside of the spindle nut. I thought I found some inside, nearer to the bearings but it may have just been a change of viscosity (???) of the grease there. I did have a cap come off one wheel awhile ago while in transit and I threw a spare cap on - maybe that was the wheel??? I'll go ahead and clean and regrease that wheel and check the remaining two. I did read somewhere on this forum that you are not suppose to add grease --- but rather replace all the grease. Hummmm.

I don't think anything is damaged on the drum - they should have less than 1000 miles on them and I didn't notice any excessive wear on the shoes. Thanks for tips - I'll readjust the brakes once I repack the bearings. After watching my friend, I think I have a better idea of how much drag to expect.

Laura
Laura.

If you still have the original "round type" brake magnets, you would be wise to change out the complete backing plates to the new style "oval" type magnets. If you wish, you can also have the new style brakes, "self adjusting".

Back to the problem.

I have experienced worn magnet "shafts". That's the pin that holds the magnet in place. If it's worn, it can allow the magnet to tilt enough on the pin, to lock it in place. That pin also has a habit of getting loose on the arm. Then backing up, with the brakes slightly applied, is the only way it can free itself.

That pin, is on the bottom part of the magnet arm.

Also, adjusting electric brakes, is some what different than adjusting hydraulic brakes. Electrics must be adjusted a little tighter than the hydraulics.

Andy

Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
...... this doesn't seem quite right. I have about 300 miles on the new brakes (came with new Henschen axles) ....
Laura
Andy,

The above came from the 1st post.

Wouldn't the new axles with brakes have had oval magnets?

Or when you get a new complete Henschen axle 300 miles ago one needs to change out the brake magnets or loaded brake set up? Or look at the magnet shafts for wear?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Andy,

The above came from the 1st post.

Wouldn't the new axles with brakes have had oval magnets?

Or when you get a new complete Henschen axle 300 miles ago one needs to change out the brake magnets or loaded brake set up? Or look at the magnet shafts for wear?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I was not aware of the new axles.

Laura. Call me and we will resolve the problem for you.

Andy
Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Please post the results of the fix so others will benefit from the knowledge of the repair.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Please post the results of the fix so others will benefit from the knowledge of the repair.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I will have Henschen send a new backing plate to Laura. If they don't or won't, we will.

Hopefully, she will call me, so that I know her full name, and then can go to our files for the shipping info.

Andy
Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Hey Ya'll ....

I helped Andy locate my full name and realize that, although my axles have few miles on them and I consider them NEW, they are actually OLD. i.e. I ordered and installed them December '08. You know what that means, they are Out Of Warrantee!

But guess what? Andy figured a way to get me a new backing plate FOC. Yippie!

Andy feels that I need to replace this part on my offending location to preclude possible problem while towing. And he's getting it to me w/i 24 hrs so I have time to complete the R&R before Friday morning. Not that I really needed another project - but, with Andy's concern and effort to get me the parts ASAP, I understand it's the right thing to do and shouldn't be left for later. My luck, something awful would happen if I don't do it!

Thanks everyone for your input and thanks Andy for taking the time and effort to assist! Another reason to buy your Henschen Axles from Inland - customer support just never ends!

Laura
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
A yuppers, same reason I went to Andy. (in best wizened Vermonter voice)

And no were wern't ~really~ looking forward to your descent into monosyllabics and subvocals but you (we) have been granted another opportunity...

Remember, clean dry threads and torque to specifications...

Looking forward to your work report!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote