Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenjt View Post
I know this is an old thread, but anybody happen to have confirmation from an AS dealer that it's normal for the electric breaks NOT to lock up at full gain when closing the controller paddle all the way? I have a 2018 Bambi 22FB that just will not lock whereas my previous non-AS camper would with the same truck/controller. Thanks in advance!
Possibly. If you have low miles the shoes may not be seated well yet. You might try burnishing them in and see if improvement occurs. Then ensure that they are adjusted properly and burnish again.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Should the brakes be able to lockup?

I’ve also noticed that first thing in the morning on a trip the brakes need a bit more gain setting than after they have warmed up. Don’t have any theories as to why, but a slightly lower gain adjustment is needed later in the day.

Boost setting on my P3 controller does not seem to change as much as the day goes on—just terrain influences that setting.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Properly adjusted brakes should lock them up. If they are properly adjusted and don't lock them up and you are sure voltage is getting to them, then you probably need new magnets and rotors. I replaced my original drums and magnets and they will stop the trailer and the Excursion Tow vehicle. I have trouble keeping them from locking.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
My brakes locked up for the first time in 32,000 miles this week. I thought they were not capable of locking until this happened. I was coming down a 3 to 4 degree hill with a tighter than expected turn at the bottom. I hit the brakes late before the curve and fairly hard, but not panicking and suddenly I noticed smoke trailing the Airstream. I let off the brakes and rounded the corner. My brakes are incapable of locking up with the gain on 10 with the brake lever on blacktop. But the proportional controllers obviously sense hard braking on a downslope and must turn up the braking power. I turned the gain way down to 6 after the lockup. I really thought my brakes could not lock up until this happened.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If you can't set the gain of your controller to just below the point that the brakes lock up (implying that you can lock up the brakes if the gain is set higher) then for some reason you are not getting the maximum available stopping power from your brakes. Possible reasons include excessive resistance in your braking circuit; bad magnets, either worn poorly or de-magnetized; poor surface on the flat (stud) side of your drum; poor adjustment of the shoes; glazed shoe linings; rust, dust, or no lubrication in the shoe linkage; and maybe a few other things I can't think of right now.

To be clear, you do not want your brakes to lock up, but you do want them to be set just below the point where they would lock up.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

After reading all this "adjust so they lock up" stuff, I went off and adjusted my brakes. 20,000 miles later I replaced all four wheels worth of brakes. Setting the gain to high *does* have a downside ...... Just go be clear - the brake pads still had life left (what we could find of them). The brake mechanism was what died.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #47
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
I tried to look for any threads on this subject but didn't have any luck, so apologies if there is a thread that I missed. I have a 2011 Sport 22FB, being that this is a 4500# trailer with a single axle there is a lot more weight on the 2 brand new tires than most trailers...so perhaps that is contributing to the fact that I cannot get the brakes to lockup as a reference point for adjusting braking force on the controller.

I had the bearings serviced and they stated the brakes looked "fine", when they could have tried to sell me new brakes instead. I don't know how many miles are on the trailer for sure since purchased used, but it wasn't ever used by full timers...just summer weekend getaways primarily within the states of WA and OR, so I wouldn't expect there to be significant brake wear.

TIA!
I've been told that with some trailers, particularly heavy ones, the brakes will not lock up even at maximum gain. Mine don't. But I test them with the brake control lever on my Yukon at the start of every trip.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Al and Missy Post #45 and I agree.

To test my trailer's brakes is by doing a manual test and not use the tow vehicle's brakes. If you feel no braking, you may want to check them out.

I like it when I can 'squeeze the manual brake controller' and you can feel the brakes engage, but not locking. They will slow the tow vehicle and trailer down, that is good for me.

If they lock you have an ice skating slide of hot rubber, and get those flat spots like 18 wheeler trailers that lock up and should not.

I check the brakes manually ever so often to check that they are working. When they are not engaging... you will notice that... you have no trailer braking, at all. Just takes a loose wire at the drum and easy to find.