Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

My decisions are made except for one final question before I order this morning. I would like to know Pros and Cons about Parking brakes option. Thanks again for your help

Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
My decisions are made except for one final question before I order this morning. I would like to know Pros and Cons about Parking brakes option. Thanks again for your help
Bernie, the only way I know to use the brakes for parking brakes is if you get disc brakes. They are very good, but very expensive. With the discs, you can activate the pump, and it will keep pressure on the rotors until disengaged. Electric drum brakes first need some movement in order to engage, and the constant power to them will burn out the electric magnets in a short time.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Overlander 63, I did call dexter and THEY told me the parking brake is mechanical and DOES NOT use power. It is a lever that you can engage with a cable or some other means.
Kneal, Christine of dexter engineering is the person who told me they will not derate below spec.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
Overlander 63, I did call dexter and THEY told me the parking brake is mechanical and DOES NOT use power. It is a lever that you can engage with a cable or some other means.
Bernie, if you wind up with this parking brake, please post pictures of it and the installation. There are many European forums members that need something like this, and even I could use something like this to keep my trailer from rolling away down our (steep) driveway.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I made the parking brake myself.
The dexter backingplates with parking brake are way to expencive.
material cost to convert the existing backingplates about 5 usd
for cables and brake handle about 100 usd.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Remcolent, Please, do you have some pictures and information on what you did? I was thinking of ordering only one axle with parking brake but if it's too expensive I will not. I have all my dimentions for what to order but I was waiting to hear from the expert bout this parking thing. I was looking in my original forum waiting for advice but someone moved my question here.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Ok guys, I called the factory and waiting for a quote now. The parking brake option is around $26 per axles. I requested on one axle only. The neverlube is $36 on 12x2 brakes for one axle I think. Final decision in the morning. $26 sound like a lot for the few additional parts in the drawing but what the heck, no wine for next week.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Yep!

Parking brakes are popular on equipment trailers - light towers, gen sets, air compressors etc....

All major axle manufactures offer this feature!

Regards,
Henry
Old 05-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks axleman for reply. I did ask for that option on one axle. They were supposed to call me yesterday with the quote and didn't. I'll call them again Monday.
One more question. The AS frame width where the axles mounts is greater by 3/16" from front axle to the back one. Do I need to spec 2 different axles or use shims on one axle?