Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Punta gorda , Florida
Recall on electric over hydraulic brakes

I recently purchased a 2004 25 feet limited with electric over hydraulic brakes which locked up on me shortly after purchase. The AS in Alachua FL. now to repair anyone experienced this? Joe
joebutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If this trailer has sat for a long time the pads may be sticking in the anchors or piston may be sticking in the calipers.

Is it all wheels?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
not sure but the 2004 may have been a retrofit to e/h brakes. They may be Kodiak which are a sliding style caliper. These are subject to seizures. If this is the case you should pull off the wheels and lubricate the 'slide pins' with a silicone based grease. If they are factory originals they are probably Dexter brakes. These are a fixed caliper design with four brake pistons on each. with these the issue from sitting is rust developing on the piston sides and in the caliper bores from leaking piston seals. As requested above if all brakes locked up, you need to focus on the brake controller/pump assembly. Is it an Accubrake or a Dexter? In order to be of any great assistance we would need to know what brake components you are dealing with. Lots of info on the Forum. All the best.... Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Punta gorda , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
If this trailer has sat for a long time the pads may be sticking in the anchors or piston may be sticking in the calipers.

Is it all wheels?
Yes it sat for a year in a pasture but the hydraulic pump continuously runs and makes a groaning continuous sound until I pull the plug out of the brake box under the forward end of the camper.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Runs continuous, 7 way plug connected to tow vehicle or disconnected.

Groaning sound is what they can sound like while creating max pressure up to 1600PSI.

Actuator only runs when you apply brakes.

7 way plug molded or replaced? Replaced has REMOTE chance of power being incorrectly applied to brakes. And that’s a BIG IF.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
If yours has the factory installed E/H system (shown below), they should be rebuilding at no cost, right?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I had the actuator recall test performed and at that time it passed. So it was not a guaranteed R&R it had to fail the test. And the test was to drill a hole and see if fluid leaked out.

Hopefully these recalls were addressed but I try to bring them up when a new owner raises a question.

And that hose looks like the original config looks good right? Now mount wheel lower trailer and suspension goes up and hose gets shorter and kinks at caliper connection.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Exactly.
Yep. J/C did the "test" on my original Actibrake, and it passed. Brought it home, parked it in the driveway. Failed the next day (fluid leaking out hole).

Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
The drill here test instructions were pretty weak. Low grade images. My shop drilled thru the side of the case not thru the bottom.

It later failed and I drove home w/o trailer brakes.

Replaced with Carlisle actuator.

Decided to take old one apart. Had to use saw to cut cases apart.

Found that test drilling drilled THRU a circuit board.

Brakes are working great.

Your hose pic is poster child for that problem.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Although I don’t have these disc brakes, they look to be a problem child..sitting and absorbing moisture from the air, and rusting internally....our old cars with hydraulic brakes, have to be pumped at lest a couple times a month to keep the rust away...brake fluid does evaporate and absorb water....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I've found bleeding is required once a year. YMMV. The fluid isn't 'out of the bottle' new, but it's not bad. Only slightly darker.

Pulling all four wheels and bleeding takes 60-90 min maybe. Yeah, it's more maintenance but I wouldn't trade it for electric drums, and it can't hurt inspecting your running gear regularly.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I've found bleeding is required once a year. YMMV. The fluid isn't 'out of the bottle' new, but it's not bad. Only slightly darker.

Pulling all four wheels and bleeding takes 60-90 min maybe. Yeah, it's more maintenance but I wouldn't trade it for electric drums, and it can't hurt inspecting your running gear regularly.

Goes nicely with rotating tires and pull pads to clean anchor points and dab grease on them.

Yeah I’ve spent some time working on them, no make that learning them and fixing a design flaw (short hoses) with my own version but no way am I going to change them to drums.

I know I have brakes it’s stopping like a matched set of TV brakes and AS brakes.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Punta gorda , Florida
Hydraulic brake blues

Thank all y’all so much. They plan to do the drill test soon. It seems to me that the controller is defective as the hydraulic pump runs while the RV is sitting unhitched.

Comment? Joe
Old 11-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebutler View Post
Thank all y’all so much. They plan to do the drill test soon. It seems to me that the controller is defective as the hydraulic pump runs while the RV is sitting unhitched.

Comment? Joe
If it's an Actibrake controller, the company has been out of business for many years. You have no recourse other than to purchase a new replacement from a different manufacturer.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Punta gorda , Florida
I’m hoping that is the plan. Will keep y’all posted. Thanks a lot! Joe
Old 04-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
I’m just now learning about this recall as we had brake failure (no trailer brakes) recently on our 2007 Classic Limited 27FB. In talking with the RV repair shop (not the local AS dealer who is backlogged), they said the Actibrake controller has failed. In checking with Jackson Center for parts they said this was subject to a recall years ago, likely when the original owner had it (2007-15). Unfortunately, they sounded unsure about finding what’s needed.

Anyone had this successfully replaced recently?

I will have to further investigate if there were any other recalls that I ought to know about…

Regards - Ron
(photo as reminder of happier days camping)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	624.7 KB
ID:	414579
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Did yours look like the one in post 6? There were two models. They look different. Mine is the other style, was not recalled, and still functions perfectly. However, it is 16 years old, and I expect it to need replacement someday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
While you're inspecting etc. the brake hoses were also subject to a recall. The revised hose has a short section of steel tubing that has a traditional nut holding it in at the caliper end. Old was all hose and fittings no short steel tubing section that threaded directly in to the caliper.

Gary
Old 04-18-2022, 05:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Did yours look like the one in post 6? There were two models. They look different. Mine is the other style, was not recalled, and still functions perfectly. However, it is 16 years old, and I expect it to need replacement someday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

Yes, thanks - looks the same to me although I can’t quite read all the numbers above. In any event, my trailer VIN was used with Jackson Center to verify the recall applicability. The RV shop already received an 18-step recall repair procedure and will be installing a Dexter replacement. My only concern at this point is how timely all the parts and pieces can be supplied to the RV repair shop, hence my initial question. I do expect good support service from JC, so I will remain optimistic.

Regards - Ron
Old 04-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
While you're inspecting etc. the brake hoses were also subject to a recall. The revised hose has a short section of steel tubing that has a traditional nut holding it in at the caliper end. Old was all hose and fittings no short steel tubing section that threaded directly in to the caliper.

Gary

Thanks, good to know.

Regards - Ron