Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Ran new wires to brakes. Still wont work...

Need some tips here.... I had no trailer brakes on my 1979 tradewind. 25' dual axle.
Ran new wires from plug wiring to brakes. (Truck is all good - no problem there)
I have power to the wiring to the rear tires when brakes are on, I checked.
Drove a bit to test. No trailer brakes. I do not know a lot about electric brakes. Some one told me they think the magnets are no good... Any tips or ideas? Would be greatly appreciated. It is the last thing I have to fix on my 79' AS other than the dreaded polishing!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Run one tire up on a ramp so that the other tire is off the ground on the same side of the trailer. On the tire that is raised, disconnect the two wires behind the back plate. Connect the black lead of a battery charger to one of the two wires coming out of the backplate. Spin the tire and touch the red lead of the charger to the other lead from the back plate, you should hear a clunk and the tire should stop rotating. Don't leave the red wire hooked up, just touch it. If they clunk and don't stop the wheel, it may be a matter of adjustment. There are threads posted on the forum under brakes and axles with info on adjustment. Have you pulled the wheels and drums to see of you have any lining left on the brakes?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstreamer View Post
Need some tips here.... I had no trailer brakes on my 1979 tradewind. 25' dual axle.
Ran new wires from plug wiring to brakes. (Truck is all good - no problem there)
I have power to the wiring to the rear tires when brakes are on, I checked.
Drove a bit to test. No trailer brakes. I do not know a lot about electric brakes. Some one told me they think the magnets are no good... Any tips or ideas? Would be greatly appreciated. It is the last thing I have to fix on my 79' AS other than the dreaded polishing!
Hi txstreamer; I trust that you have a good brake controller installed in your truck and it is preset initially. If properly preset it should apply voltage to electromagnets when brake is applied. Second, are your magnets properly grounded? If so most likely power may have been applied for a very long time in the past and electromagnets burned out. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
This may help. Trouble shooting guide for the magnets.

How to Test Electric Brake Magnets with an Ammeter and an Ohmmeter | etrailer.com
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - View Single Post - Trailer brakes
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Guess at some point I might pull a drum or 4 and take a look. That'd be a good time to replace/re-pack the wheel bearings and set up the brakes. Mine had never been set up when I did mine. All the adjusting stars were unmolested.

I test brakes with the tow vehicle and the unbiblical cord disconnected. I use a battery charger to power the magnets. Now's a good time to test the break away switch too. Mine looked like it was OEM and I just replaced it with a new one.

I don't crawl under to test the magnets. I just jack up one side, jumper the 7-way plug with a battery charger, drag the extension cords to the trailer side, spin a wheel up and plug in the charger. If the brakes work, the wheel stops spinning.

Gary

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote