Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
orange , Virginia
Question on brake hookups

hello all (first post)
My wife and I want to get an Airstream (after many mentions by the wife) (which is why I researched all the available website and saw what i like here)

before we start looking I need to make sure what I am driving now will pull what ever we diced to buy (looking vintage)
top price is an issue as we are both County employees (high school teacher and Sheriffs deputy for the county

this is currently what we have to pull-
2001 Chevy blazer LS
with ball hitch (the largest model that can be put on the Blazer

my one question (thus far) is for the brakes-
what manuf. should I get for my local mechanic to put in that will control that brakes on which ever tow behind we decide on

thanks all and look forward to the answer and help

Andrew
andrewdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to AF Andrew.

I will leave the brake question to those that pull trailers all the time.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have a Prodigy that I have used for 7 years with no problems. Easy to hook up and set.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
question on brake hookups

Greetings Andrew!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdahl View Post
hello all (first post)
My wife and I want to get an Airstream (after many mentions by the wife) (which is why I researched all the available website and saw what i like here)

before we start looking I need to make sure what I am driving now will pull what ever we diced to buy (looking vintage)
top price is an issue as we are both County employees (high school teacher and Sheriffs deputy for the county

this is currently what we have to pull-
2001 Chevy blazer LS
with ball hitch (the largest model that can be put on the Blazer

my one question (thus far) is for the brakes-
what manuf. should I get for my local mechanic to put in that will control that brakes on which ever tow behind we decide on

thanks all and look forward to the answer and help

Andrew
The first critical bit of information is whether your Blazer has the factory heavy duty trailer tow package with the 3.73 differential gearing. Even with the heavy duty trailer towing package, I believe that you will find that the Blazer's maximum trailer tow rating is no more than 4,400 pounds (4X4) or 5,500 pounds (2X4). Another potential issue is that the two-door Blazer (which was far less popular than the four-door version) has a short enough wheelbase that it isn't well suited to towing a larger trailer.

The 4,400 trailer tow rating is much more limiting than the 5,500 trailer tow rating. In a vintage Airstream or Argosy, a 22' is likely the largest coach that will fit within the 4,400 pond trailer tow rating while it is possible that a 24' coach might fit within the 5,500 pound rating. As an example, the loaded, ready-to-travel weight with my Overlander (26') varies between 6,000 and 6,100 pounds.

Good luck with your investigation and research!

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream weights and measures.pdf (100.1 KB, 59 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote