Old 03-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Trailer emulator

Has anyone seen or used the TEKONSHA Trailer Emulator?

http://www.tekonsha.com/tbsa7waytrailerem.html

Their web site lists the unit to troubleshoot the vehicles wiring system and controller installation. It seems that this would provide an answer to half of my problem. If the 'NC' signal comes on with the emulator installed (sans trailer) then my problem lies with the controller or the installation and wiring. If, however, the unit reads 'C' properly, then my problem is after the vehicle's connection. This alone would be a big help. Might reduce some of the guessing, I guess!

Take care

A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

...I will split it with you...

Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I am starting to wonder if this might be a noise issue -- the truck and trailer have a lot of stuff attached to ground, and I wonder if a noisy ground could be the culprit in a lot of the reported strangeness...

The trip to JC was the first time I towed the thing at night, with lights on -- varying the load can vary the noise signature...

I am thinking also another thing to try is to actually ground the truck and trailer together with a wire attached to the truck frame and trailer frame -- it might help if it is a noise or ground-bounce issue -- A bad crimp somewhere can inject a lot of noise on power or ground...

Just thinking out loud...

-Rob
Old 03-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

I sent the tech support folks an email last week, and referenced this thread. The tech had me make sure I had the correct harness for our 2003 Suburban (we did) and we also sent him the serial number of our prodigy. He also promised that he was going to send us a trailer emulator...

Low and behold, the trailer emulator showed up on Saturday in the mail. I plugged it into the Suburban and ran static tests -- the emulator has seven LED's that indicate some wiring miscues and such.

The truck was wired correctly. I also noticed the brake LED got a pulse every 4 seconds or so -- must be the 'alive?' signal from the Prodigy...

I drove around with the emulator a bit on Sunday -- did not go very far. The Prodigy acted normally. No flaky behaviors that I noticed...

The emulator seems to model the load of one wheel magnet -- it did not seem to go nearly as high as it does when the trailer is actually back there...

One thing I did notice is that the emulator goes a lot deeper into the socket than the connector on the trailer does -- I plan on investigating that first, once I go back to JC to get the trailer back...if the emulator testing shows no intermittent problems...

So far, the truck, prodigy and wiring test good -- at least on a small load, for a short time...

Once I am finished with the emulator, I plan on sharing it with forum members who are trying to trace weird problems with their Prodigy's...

-Rob
Old 03-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Thumbs up Way to go Rob!

Hey Rob! Put me on that list, please! I'll PM you my address.

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Cool Rob...hope you can bring it to the June rally. I am sure there will be a few folks that could use it!

Eric
Old 03-29-2004, 01:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Sharing Procedures...

Two people have contacted me wanting to borrow the emulator -- it was the leverage represented by this thread that I think caused them to just send it to me...and I think it appropriate we share the thing -- it is something you only need a short time...and most on this thread have one issue or another with their Prodigy...

Well, I can certainly act as a middleman as a small part of a tangible contribution to the community, the cost is small -- the postage was $1.95 on the unit -- they just sent it in a bubble envelope...and the instructions were just a sheet...

What I am thinking is just sending it to whoever needs it for a 2-week period, and then sending it either back to me or to the next person in line -- I can go by the dates of the PM's I have recieved...so far, two people want it.

Does this sound fair? I will keep track of who has it...and try to keep the resource available to whoever needs it...

-Rob
Old 03-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Rodger!!

Quite equitable!! Had to add more words as the system wouldn't accept simply Rodger!!
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
For what it's worth, had the MasterBrake controller been available when we bought our rig, that's the controller I would've opted for, even though it costs more than twice what the Jordan does, and is only slightly better technically. The MasterBrake is the one Porky went with. I'm satisified enough with the Jordan not to replace it with the MasterBrake, however.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Rob ,I had the same problem with my 2003 ,2500 suburban .Turns out GM made a change in the connector and swapped brake signal with the the running lights ,dont ask me why ! Any way this may not be what you have goin on , but it sounds exactly like the problem I was having with my Prodigy.The wierd thing was sometimes the brakes worked fine.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

The Prodigy Emulator indicated the truck was wired in a standard way...but I will investigate if it continues to misbehave...

...I am picking up the trailer from Jackson Center late this week. After that, I will send the Prodigy emulator to dinoburb, who was the first to ask for it...by 25 minutes...

After that, it goes to rluhr.

rluhr, is it OK I send your address to dinoburb so he can send it to you directly?

-Rob
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

I had exactly the same symptoms as first described and it turned out to be the trailer wiring. The controller was fine. One of the wires going to the brakes had frayed and was shorting or breaking connection probably as it blew in the wind under the trailer.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:17 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

...when I plugged the emulator into the truck, I immediately noticed the emulator went pretty far into the socket -- much farther than the trailer connector does.

When I pick AS up from warranty service, I am going to investigate the form factor of the trailer connector to see why it does not go as far in as the emulator does -- plan on bringing a couple of 'adjustment' tools to improve the situation.

So, in a way, I think the emulator (maybe) led me to the solution, but not in the way it was intended...either way, I plan on reporting results soon...

-RobH
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Question Prodigy Wiring Question

I have purchased one of these units & the only wire I do not know
for connection is the "cold" side brake switch on our '94
Suburban. I have looked briefly under the steering wheel but I wondered if someone could give me a little help.
Thanks.(I found 5 wires leading from the brake pedal switch; white,orange,
pink,& two purple ones) Which one?