Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
1979 31' Sovereign
Adel , Iowa
Problems with the break-away

I recently purchased a '79 AS International and I am having problems with the breakaway.When I brought it home the brakes worked and the indicator light on the break control worked. I replaced the end and I had to rewire to get the brake lights on the back of the trailer to work. The turn signals and reverse lights had to be worked on to get them to work properly. I pulled out the break away switch like I am suppose to so it doesn't get froze. All of the lights work like they are suppose too but when I was working on the breakaway switch I pulled it out and now it doesn't want to go back in and stay. So now the switch will not stay in and I can put it in and out without any resistance. And now the brakes don't work and the indicator light doesn't work. I know it is not my truck because I plugged it into our other AS and the indicator light works and so do the brakes. So my question is does anyone know if it is the breakaway switch since it is not working properly and that why the brakes and the indicator light are not working? And right now there is no battery in the trailer. Because the trailer is a fixer upper.

arstrem4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Originally Posted by arstrem4life View Post
So my question is does anyone know if it is the breakaway switch since it is not working properly and that why the brakes and the indicator light are not working?
My guess is separate issues.

Get ahold of a 7-way tester, a small 12 volt battery charger, a 12 volt jumper light, and a small multi-meter. Verify the tow vehicle is wired correctly with the tester, then use the tester to test the trailer wiring.

New breakaway switches are easy to find and easy to install.

I never heard of anybody pulling the pin on the breakaway switch to prevent freezing. I may have missed that memo.

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Isn't a breakaway switch only powered by the trailer battery? I don't think it would make sense to have it tied into the tow vehicle power at all. Also, pulling any breakaway for an extended period is going to send power to your brakes, which if they are straight electric, is going to kill your battery and fry your brakes...

There are different style switches. Mine is a mechanical plunger, so if it doesn't stay it, it is broken...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Sounds broken to me. We had a member once that continually had battery problems. Would never hold a charge. He had a smaller unit with only one battery. When he traded up to a 28' foot with two battery's he again had battery problems. Come to find out, he was pulling out his brake a way when camping, which was killing his power. Test your brake a way once a year to make sure it still functions, but don't leave it out. If it won't seat when putting it back in, it's done. Go get a new one.
Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher Johnson McCandless
2/12/68 - 8/18/92
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote