Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1963 22' Safari
Venlo
problem with Tekonsha brake control

Hi Airstreamers in the USA !

We received the tekoncha brake control unit from the US this week

The unit seems OK, but we notice a difference in the way it is supposed to be connected, and need some help, wich you can hopefully give us.
There are 4 wires, same colours as our Jordan unit that we are using now,(and works well),
but if we connect the Tekoncha wires the same way as the Jordan wires,
we messure a constant power of 12 volts on the brake wire without the trailer being connected. When we connect the Jordan there is no current coming through this wire,like it should.
Could it be that the Tekoncha ground and possitive are to be switched ? We don't want to blow up our precious unit...as they are hard to get !(in Holland)
Hope you can think with us, or perhaps know someone to ask advice about this matter, as , over here, there is no one familiar with brake -controlunits what so ever..
Thank you so much upfront, for any help offered.

Kind regards,

Kai and Pieter van Dooren Holland
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland
... if we connect the Tekoncha wires the same way as the Jordan wires, we messure a constant power of 12 volts on the brake wire without the trailer being connected...
Without the trailer connected, you will measure 12 volts because the controller is under no load.

Connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle will connect the brake magnets to the circuit. The magnets, with their low imput resistance, will put a load on the controller & bring the voltage down. If you were to unscrew the wire caps at one wheel, you would find little to no voltage with the trailer connected.

Even with the limited information you have presented, my impression is that you are okay. My suggestion is that you plug the trailer in while an assistant looks at the Tekonsha. It will probably indicate ".c." or "c" or ".c".

My Tekonsha Prodigy has proven to be a sturdy controller and, from what I have read, will protect itself if you have problems in the wiring.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1963 22' Safari
Venlo
But what I don't understand is:When we connect the Jordan there is no current coming through this wire ???
Does the Tekoncha operate in a different way ?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I am not familar with a Jordan brake controller's operation so I have no insight into what voltages or currents might be measured.

I am familiar with a Tekonsha Prodigy, and am very comfortable with the words in my first post. However, I know that I am just another voice on the Internet so hopefully others will chime in with more words.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
problem with Tekonska brake control

What kind of Jordan do you have?
Does it have a continuity indicator?
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
But what I don't understand is:When we connect the Jordan there is no current coming through this wire ???
Maybe that is why you are replacing the Jordan?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Brakes

What are you pulling the Airstream with?Depending on the vehicle you might need to take it to the dealer to have it set up for your Controller.My Touareg has to be done like that.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1963 22' Safari
Venlo
Maybe that is why you are replacing the Jordan?__________________
We want to replace the Jordan type Mark 4 TM (wich works OK), with a more modern Tekoncha Voyager, to feel the difference when towing our Airstream with our '78 LTD country squire.

(Here you can see what it looks like)
And we can't take it to any dealer, as they haven't got a clue how electric brakes work, in Europe trailers have mechanic brakes..so they can't help us.
Hope someone of you can.
Thanks for thinking with us.

( is it somthing with the Ground and the positif ? )
Old 10-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Don't confuse a 12V potential with power. As Tom pointed out the current draw and therefore power (volts X amps) should be near zero when the controller is connected. Sounds like your moving up a couple of decades in controller technology. I've had the pleasure of towing with the Tekonska and it's a great unit. I also remember towing with the old family station wagon back in the late '70s and there's things about that controller that have advantages over todays technology. For one, in the pre ABS brake days it appears controller manufacturers were less afraid to tie directly into the automobiles hydraulic system to achieve truely proportional braking.

-Bernie (big fan of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it school"
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
That picture does not look the same as the Jordan 2020 controller I have. Mine does have 12 volts on the brake line, just like the Tekonsha. Perhaps it is a Jordan, but not the same company out of Sarasota, Florida???
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
One other note; if switching to Tekonsha-you should go with the latest version-Prodigy...(not voyager).

Also contact Tekonsha, they have competent good Tech support: http://www.tekonsha.com/contact.html
Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I am no expert here, but I recall that the Tekonsha Prodigy provides a small amount of 12V current for the purpose of verifying electrical continuity through the brake magnet circuitry. The Prodigy will display ".nc" if it detects an open circuit, or ".c" if it detects continuity. I do not know if the detection current is continuous or pulsed. If continuous, this may be what you are measuring.

I thought that electric brakes were not allowed in Europe, and that surge brakes are required instead. What are the rules for brakes where you live?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #13
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wires

Also I thought the wiring setup was different than ours here in the states.Our 12v wire does not connect to another like some in europe.I know my Touareg is set up like that and the dealer has to switch it to the american code.Then again it might just be for the Touareg.
Another thing is Dmac is right about the prodigy.I use one and the codes come up on it to let me know if there is a problem or not.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
If your tow vehicle is pos ground than it should be straight forward. I have used the voyager many times. I have had no problems. I am installing one into my sisters 2007 chevy tomarrow. On the controller are 4 wires a red, black, blue and a white. The black goes to the pos side of the battery the white goes to the neg side or ground. The blue goes to the elect brakes and the red goes to the brake light switch. There will be some minimal power going thruogh the circuit when you plug it in. this turns the little red light on on the controller indicating that the circuit is complete.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
sorry but was mistaken the light is gree till you engage the brakes then it turns red
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1963 22' Safari
Venlo
Hello Dan,

You're right, electrical brakes are not allowed in all parts of europe, like the Netherlands for example, but there are other countries in Europe that do allow these brakes like the UK, so we had to import our Airstream through UK, and so legalised the electrical brakes on the Airstream.
They have this rule (thank God), that says a vehicle with registration in any EU state, has to be accepted without changing the brakes, if sold to a person in another EU state.
We discovered this rule, and used it, as we think electric brakes work better than surge brakes.It's easy if you know how to work your way around legislation...
We will try the voyager this weekend, see if it works..
Thanks for thinking with us !
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Maybe that is why you are replacing the Jordan?__________________
We want to replace the Jordan type Mark 4 TM (wich works OK), with a more modern Tekoncha Voyager, to feel the difference when towing our Airstream with our '78 LTD country squire.

(Here you can see what it looks like)
And we can't take it to any dealer, as they haven't got a clue how electric brakes work, in Europe trailers have mechanic brakes..so they can't help us.
Hope someone of you can.
Thanks for thinking with us.

( is it somthing with the Ground and the positif ? )

I had this same Jordan controller in my Cherokee back when I pulled a pop-up trailer. It's just a basic delay controller. Way different animal from the 2020. IMO, you're not going to be all that much better off with a Voyager... May I ask why you chose it over the Prodigy?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote