Old 08-22-2002, 07:29 AM   #29
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Lightbulb Breakaway switch wires

New kid,
There are indeed two conductors extending from the tongue of the trailer and there is 12 volts respectively between the two conductors.

when I short the wires, I can hear the "clank" of the brakes. Only problem is that I cannot tell if it is coming from all wheels. It seems to be coming from the rear wheels of both sides.

I have visually inspected all of the wiring at the wheels, (from behind), and everything seems to be in order. I was suprised to see yellow wire nuts on the connections but I have found the same wire nuts through out the trailer. I believe this is the manufacturer method. Any thoughts on that?

I have tandem axles. Are the emergency brakes only on the rear wheels?

I think that I am going to elevate trailer and test all brakes.

I will be splicing the wires back to the breakaway switch and I hope that is all I will have to do but could one be so lucky??????

getting closer
Smily

Old 08-22-2002, 09:23 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Brake magnet test

You can test the magnets using a compass. I have to hold the compass very close to the hub but the needle will definitely move when the brakes are energized. I do this by pulling the pin out from the breakaway switch.

Remember that you should never pull the pin out from the breakaway switch while your 7-pin connector is hooked up to the tow vehicle as you will FRY your brake controller.

Ciao, Brian

Old 08-22-2002, 10:23 AM   #31
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North and south

How ingenius,

Thanks for the tip. Especially the one about being disconnected from Tow vehicle.

Fortunately I have not actually tested the breakaway switch while the connector was in place. But that is by mere fortune because I wolud have tested it after I got all of my connector problems squared away.

I will get a cheap compass today and try the old pointer trick.

Thanks,
Smily
Old 08-22-2002, 06:59 PM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Smily,

The yellow wire nuts on the brake wires seem to be the standard method of connections. I would always check mine when on a long trip as they did come apart on one of my trilers once. I would think a butt crimp would be more secure, but if they have held for this long who am I to argue???

I do not know if the breakaway only engages the rear set of brakes on your model year, but let us know how the compass test works out.

Prior to rewiring the breakaway switch in I would test it with a meter to be sure it is functional. The fact that it is disconnected may be due to it not working, or working when it is not supposed to!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:41 AM   #33
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Pulling today

We are going to take a little trip this weekend to the lake and pull the trailer about 100 miles round trip.

This will be the first trip with all of the wiring in place.
I am going to leave the break away switch disconnected but I will probably give it a shot while I am at the camp ground.

I will get my trusty volt meter out and verify the operational ability of the break away switch.

Any way, wish me luck and pray that I dont leave my axles behind due to lock up. The trip is on flat terrain and I feel pretty safe with braking as long as I dont encounter lock-up.

Bon Voyage,
Smily
Old 08-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #34
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
In the instructions that came with your brake controller thate should be a step by step process for adjusting the gain that would cause lockup. Follow them and you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip!!

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote