Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Question Older style trailer brakes lock up in reverse

Help! My husband and I just purchased a 1971 Overlander and as soon as we pulled it out of its storage location and headed home, we developed brake problems. When we put our truck in reverese to back the trailer up, the trailer brakes lock up. The bottom line- we cannot back up. We looked at the brakes and they APPEAR to be ok- ie no loose parts, rust or wear, although the trailer hads been sitting for a year and a half. Has anyone ever encountered this and/or has a possible solution? We removed the wheels and all 4 wheels spin freely in forward and reverse when the trailer is jacked up. (If we end up having to throw money at the problem, we might as well upgrade to disc brakes (?). I see many threads on that subject I will read up on...)
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wellllll, I'm going on the basis of the (interesting) brakes on my old tractor, but when this happens (lock up on reverse), it's because the return springs aren't causing the shoes to back away from the drum when you release the brakes. Could be corrosion, dirt, weak springs.

But, then, not everybody has 60 year old tractor brakes.

Lynn
Old 05-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
are the reverse lights wired to the electric brakes?

are they surge brakes that get activated when backing up?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hi Whitefawn,

I have a 1968 24' Airstream Tradewind that we purchased from a family friend. When I first purchased the Airstream I took my tow vehicle to a nearby highend horse trailer dealer to have the braking system device and lighting systems connector installed.

I had the exact same problem as you are experiencing. I later found out the tech. had wired the tow vehicle backup lights to activate the Airstream's electric brakes.

When I tried to back into a camping space my trailer brakes locked up and I could not move.

As a quick fix, I disconnected the wiring plug from the tow vehicle. I stress that this is a quick fix because I learned that I had been towing the Airstream without trailer brakes because of the mis-wiring. That is not good.

As soon as I returned home I downloaded the proper wiring diagram from this site and fixed the problem myself.

I think richinny gave you some sage advise, check to see if the reverse lights were mis-wired to the trailer brakes.

It's a cheap fix, but a must fix as soon as possible. Towing a trailer without trailer brakes is bad news waiting to happen.

If you need more help private message me, I would be happy to help in any way I can.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Almost certainly the backup light feed is mis-connected to the brake power feed. The easy way to check is to just pull the plug on the trailer electric connector and try backing up.

But as KeithC notes, IF that works, it means you've got no trailer brakes going forward ... a scary proposition at best.

Let us know how this work out. Inquiring minds want to know.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Smile brakes lock in reverse

Thanks sooo much. After I posted my dilemna, I found a thread addressing the problem which (for some reason) I could not find when I searched the topic pre-post. I ran outside and had my husband disconnect the Prodigy brake controller and voila we have reverse. My husband worked much harder last night searching for a solution, removing wheels, etc, until 2am trying to get us home safely. So it is a blessed relief to get a solution here on the Forum, and to be able to back the trailer into its new home. Now he can trace the wires and hook up the brake controller properly at his leisure. I am so happy we are new members of the Airstream family, and to have found this forum!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Good for you!!!

And good luck with your new treasure. But just think: you towed her home with no brakes. And survived! Yikes!

Glad it went o.k. Hope to hear from you more on the Forums, and to see you on the road.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Same thing happened to me when I wired my new to me umbilical to the new standard flat 7 pin on the the burb. With the help of this forum I found out the wiring diagram on the new flat pin on the TV side was wrong. I plugged it in and the brakes locked up in reverse. Switched the wires and all was good. One good thing ---I found out how well the brakes work! As you will see color to color is NOT the way to go!
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Most controllers have an additional hookup that de-activates brakes when in reverse. (back up lights)
That way you can still override by hand control if brakes are needed while backing up.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Yes, we drove 500+ miles home with no trailer brakes, but luckily we had new brakes and tires on our Ford F250. Where can I find the wiring diagram that is mentioned here for older AS for the brake controller?

Kathy
Whitefawn
Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The number one rule in trouble shooting: When you hear hoofbeats, don't think of a zebra (unless you are in Africa)!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I Recently Bought A New 7 Way Pig Tail And Junction Box To Wire My Spartanette,i Thought I Had Everything Figured Out,even Had A Wiring Diagram. Nothing Worked Right,it Ended Up Being The Pig Tail Was Miscolor Coded,my Tail Lights Were Even On The #10 Wire,another Great Ebay Deal.hope You Can Get Your Brakes Figured Out. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Huntington Beach , California
I have a 1970 Land Yacht Globetrotter 21'. I am having the same problem with going into reverse and the brakes lock up. Does anyone have the "correct" diagram, from what i have found my seems right.
El Foca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
back up lights

It appears your backup lights are tied into your brakes,your back-up is yellow,your brakes are blue.
For a good wiring diagram google [7 pin wiring diagram] it will show you what is what if your pigtail is color coded correctly.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
It appears your backup lights are tied into your brakes,your back-up is yellow,your brakes are blue.
For a good wiring diagram google [7 pin wiring diagram] it will show you what is what if your pigtail is color coded correctly.
Dave

Dave-
Thanks... I will try again this week...
El Foca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Chances are real good that the wire colors in your trailer won't match the colors on a modern 7 pin connector.
Typically the wire colors are:
Green= Tail/marker
Red= Left Turn
Brown= Right Turn
White= Common/ground
Backup= ??? Could be black, but a small gage wire
The remaining 2 wires are:
The charge line and the actual brake wires. Typically these are larger gage wires. #10
If you use a battery charger. You can ID each of the circuits by connecting the black lead on the charger to a clean spot on the chassis. Then use the red lead and touch each of the wires on the UCord and note what it is.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote