Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
manchester , UK
Noise From Wheels

Hello All

I have an Airstream in the UK and yesterday whilst towing after about 4 miles there was a high pitched whistling from the wheels. when I stopped to investigate I couold find anything wrong or wrapped around the wheels, and when I continued the noise disapeared.

Has anyone any idea what it could be ? bearings brakes etc. any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

thripplewood
Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Could be a dry bearing, or just a rock caught between the drum and the backing plate. It could also be one of the brake magnets scraping the side of the drum.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
manchester , UK
Hello Overlander63

thanks for the reply, Is the brakes catching on the drum a common problem and will it do any damage.

thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have seen people have this problem. Sometimes it is the retraction springs ar weak or broken. Replace them. Sometimes the activating side of the magnets come in contact with develop rust and the brake squeals until the magnets work their way loose. If the magnets do not break free of the activating surface you can have a big problem including brake lockup and flat spot the tires or worse blow them out completely in less than a quarter of a mile. I have seen it happen. Sometimes, just stopping and let the brakes cool down was enough to break the magnets loose and you could continue without a problem. Sometimes, the only way to fix it is to jack the unit up and remove the tire and brake drum. I actually carry a couple extra retractor springs along with me as well as a can of wheelbearing grease and a set of wheel bearing ( if I am going to be on the road for a couple of months.)
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
We to have had this problem

When we went and picked our trailer up last Nov. We to had this problem. About 20 miles down the road we heard the noise and stopped and looked at everything and it looked okay and then we did'nt hear it. So we came on home 500 miles. After a copule of small trips camping we heard it again so we took it in to a shop and after $400 worth on brake work it is fixed. Have it looked at now dont do like we did we caused the damage by not having it checked sooner.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree ,my 60 tradewind had a squeek when I first brought it home .Early in the trip I pulled the drum and found broken springs .You need to get it checked out ,pull the wheels and drums . Fix whatever is in need of repair

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
manchester , UK
Many thanks to all who replied with advice, much appreciated. Looks like I'll be taking the wheels off then.
rgds thripplewood.