Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
No Trailer brakes

I bought a new tow vehicel the other day. 2008 Dodge ram diesel. It has the 7 way flat plug mount from the factory and another one on the inside wall of the bed for a fith wheel. I also have a 1998 quad cab I pulled it with before. The quad cab has a seven way plug. When I plug it into the quad cab I got brakes. When I plug it into the new dodge I get no brakes to the trailer. The controller light lights up in the new dodge when you push the brake peddel. I probed with a test light at the plug on the truck and found power there. When I hook it up I get lights and turn signals just no brakes. I will need to take the trailer out tommorow morning,so I wanted to see if any one had any Ideals for me. Again I get lights signals just no brakes. Thanks in advance for your help. This is a 1998 31' excella

Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
you might have a bad brake switch, it happened to me,test the break switch under the column inside of truck.GL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
I bought a new tow vehicel the other day. 2008 Dodge ram diesel. It has the 7 way flat plug mount from the factory and another one on the inside wall of the bed for a fith wheel. I also have a 1998 quad cab I pulled it with before. The quad cab has a seven way plug. When I plug it into the quad cab I got brakes. When I plug it into the new dodge I get no brakes to the trailer. The controller light lights up in the new dodge when you push the brake peddel. I probed with a test light at the plug on the truck and found power there. When I hook it up I get lights and turn signals just no brakes. I will need to take the trailer out tommorow morning,so I wanted to see if any one had any Ideals for me. Again I get lights signals just no brakes. Thanks in advance for your help. This is a 1998 31' excella

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I recently bought a 2009 Ford. It did not come with the factory controller, so I installed one. After installation, it would light up, but the trucks On Board Computer did not recognize it. It was necessary for the dealer to initialize the unit. If your controller is factory or dealer installed, it may not have been loaded into the computer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the controller is lighting up when you hit the brakes the brake switch is good.

My first thought would be is the a fuse intended to be in the brake line going back to the rear of the TV and if so was it ever installed.

I would test at the controller to see if you have out put power on the blue, or larger of the wires, when the controller is lit. This will prove the controller is working. If so you either have a fuse missing or an open in the wire. You may have to ope the receptacle at the rear and make sure the brake wire is connected in the receptacle.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks fellows. I just came in from checking the controller and blue wire on the plug at the truck. My wife got in so I got someone to pres the peddel for me. I have brake lights on the trailer and all other light come on as before. I just cannot hear the brakes engaing when she presses on the peddel. When I move forward or back on the controller switch for more output I get nothing. Ohterwise the brakes are not being controlled it would seem from the controller.Although it lights up.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
That would be about par for me to.Having to take into the dealer.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Here is another thing I noticed. When pressing the brake peddel and my test light on the blue wire of the controller I get a decimel read out. This would seem as if though the controller is registering output now. However when I remove my prob and push the break peddel no read out. It only reads out when I have the test probe in the blue wire and peddel pushed down. Any thoughts fellows.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Pull the breakaway switch pin and drive forward, that may eliminate a large portion to trouble shoot
Greg
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
Pull the breakaway switch pin and drive forward, that may eliminate a large portion to trouble shoot
Greg
Please do not do this. Pulling the brake away switch puts FULL current on the brakes and will LOCK the brakes without giving any indication of the conditions of the TV.

Sound is not a means of testing trailer brakes.

I am not sure what you were describing when your tested the blue wire with the probe. If the probe was grounded and you cut into the blue wire while hitting the TV brakes or the manual switch on the controller you should have seen a voltage reading. With just putting on the TV brakes that reading will be low since the controller does not sense motion. However hitting the manual switch, all the way, on the controller should give you about 3 amps per trailer brake.

If you do get this reading and still want additional indication the brakes are working jack up one side of the trailer. While spinning each wheel have someone hit the manual switch on the controller. The brakes should SLAM to a stop when full power is applied.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I will try to explain it clearer Howie sorry for the confusion. I place my test probe tip into the blue wire on the controller. When I pushed the brake peddel the digital readout on the controller came on and gave a readout that I could adjust up and down with the output switch.When I removed the test probe from the blue wire and pressed the brake peddel I got no readout. Just a red light on the controller. I also no better than to pull the breakaway pin. It also can ruin your magnets.It is snowing to beat the band here and cold and dark. I will leave out in the dark in the morning if I can figure this out. I am limited because of the weather tonight from jacking it up. Great Ideal though.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The trailer lights and the trailer brakes are 2 separate systems. The only thing they have in common is the brake switch turns them both on.

If you are seeing a bright light on the test light when the manual switch on the controller is applied your controller is good. Next test for that same brightness at the receptacle, pin located at below the pin that has power while the right turn signal is blinking. I describe it that way because it can be confusing when attempting to locate the different pins in the plug and receptacle. This will test your complete system to the rear of the TV.

If things check out you will have to adjust the controller while towing. If you do not have instructions from the manufacture try this.

While towing at 25 mph put the manual switch fully on for a second and adjusting the controller up a bit after each attempt until the brakes lock during this test. If they lock on first attempt reduce the adjustment until they just don't. This puts you into a good ball park

Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Many thanks Howie. I have tested at the TV receptecel as well. I have the manual for the trailer and it gives the wiring digram for a 7 pin flat receptecel. It is bright also. The break pin on that receptecel is on the bottom to the left about 7 oklock. I will try waht you said tommorow morning when I pull out. I hope this will work. Many thanks for all you fellows help. By the way Howie I have six of those little floor laying helpers myself. Love those grandbabies.Have a great day tommorow.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
My first thought would be is the a fuse intended to be in the brake line going back to the rear of the TV and if so was it ever installed.
That is exactly what happened to me when I did the first hook-up.

Popped in a fuse, and off we went.

BUT: I understood Okie to say that he tested and found power at the pin for the brakes on the umbilical. Perhaps I misunderstood?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Ok Howie and the rest of you fellows thanks for your help. It turns out the trailer brakes work fine. The problem was in the controller. Seems there was a wire reversed on it that did not allow power to the rear plug. I must have got into a turn signal last night and thought it was the brake. In the daylight things look different. Anywho we got it going.