Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Xray.

Unfortunately, that company is selling an actuator that has not been approved, since it doesn't meet SAE standards.

The ActiBrake is the only electric/hydraulic actuator available that is manufactured to SAE J 1455 standards.

However, as always, someone will come up with a cheaper system, such as they have.

The real key, is Airstream doesn't use top quality products, just to be different.

They spend considerable money researching any product or component that they use in production. They could as others have, chose to go the cheap route, and save money. In doing so, they also cheapen the coach as well as compromise safety. That's a "no no" in their books.

Unfortunately, some folks don't believe the wheel is here to stay, as they are always looking for a way to reinvent it. After all, we wouldn't need a parking brake if we would use square tires and wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
After all, we wouldn't need a parking brake if we would use square tires and wheels.

Andy
LOL!

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Xray.

Unfortunately, that company is selling an actuator that has not been approved, since it doesn'y meet the SAE standards.

The ActiBrake is the only electric/hydraulic actuator available that is manufactured to SAE J 1455 standards.

However, as always, someone will come up with a cheaper system, such as they have.

The real key, is Airstream doesn't use top quality products, just to be different.

They spend considerable money researching any product or component that they use in production. They could as others have, chose to go the cheap route, and save money. In doing so, they also cheapen the coach as well as compromise safety. That's a "no no" in their books.

Unfortunately, some folks don't believe the wheel is here to stay, as they are always looking for a way to reinvent it. After all, we wouldn't need a parking brake if we would use square tires and wheels.

Andy

Well, further clarification is in order. There is no intention of opening a can of worms here or marketing someone's product.

According to Titan (the manufacturer of the actuator marketed by SW Wheel at http://www.etrailerpart.com/ultimateproseries.htm) "SAE J1455 is an electronic component testing standard and is not a compliance standard. All applicable products sold or marketed in the U.S. must be tested to the SAE J1455 testing standard, as the Titan products are."

There is no J1455 "approval", "disapproval", or "certification" involved, according to Titan. The product has to test to a certain electronic standard and it does, according to Titan, just like the Acti-Brake.

Now, granted, I'm no expert on this but I am able to make a few phone calls and discern hogwash when I read it.

As I was told by Derek at SW Wheel (http://www.etrailerpart.com/ultimateproseries.htm), "Can you imagine the liability we would face if we sold product that had not met the testing standard and later failed?"

Further, Derek says, "Our prices are cheaper because we buy and sell so much product.".

You can draw your own conclusions.

Best regards all,

X

From the SAE website regarding J1455:
-------
SAE Standards
Document Number: J1455
Date Published: August 1994

Title: Joint SAE/Tmc Recommended Environmental Practices for Electronic Equipment Design (Heavy-Duty Trucks)

Issuing Committee: Truck And Bus Electrical Systems Subcommittee

Scope: The climatic, dynamic, and electrical environments from natural and vehicle-induced sources that influence the performance and reliability of vehicle and tractor/trailer electronic components, are included in this sAE Recommended Practice. Test methods that can be used to simulate these environmental conditions are also included. This information is applicable to diesel power trucks in Classes 6, 7, and 8.

This guideline is intended to aid the designer of automotive electronic systems and components by providing material that may be used to develop environmental design goals.
-------
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Glad to see that the public is finally getting around to asking for a better product. I had a Renault in 1965 with 4 wheel disc brakes. Not that it needed it you could open the door and drag your foot to stop it. It has taken the US almost 40 years to come up to what was a standard on a cheap import. My 92 Dodge Cummins is disc and drums.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Glad to see that the public is finally getting around to asking for a better product. I had a Renault in 1965 with 4 wheel disc brakes. Not that it needed it you could open the door and drag your foot to stop it. It has taken the US almost 40 years to come up to what was a standard on a cheap import. My 92 Dodge Cummins is disc and drums.

... and don't forget fuel injection....that too had been around for 3-4 decades before it was standard equipment. I think GM first put in in a late 50s, early 60s Corvette......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Other advances in transportation

Seat belts were an option on FOMOCO vehicles in the 50's. No one would buy them. So they were dropped. Tucker had a headlight that move with the direction of the turn. Now found in a high end car for 2005.

High tech and market place don't necessarily go hand in hand.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

"People want economy and they will pay any price to get it."
Lee Iacocca
Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Actually, there might be a can of worms here and maybe there is a reason A/S is holding up their disk brake system...

I made several phone calls regarding the Acti-Brake (Kodiak) and the Brake-Rite (Titan) actuators. It was reported to me that the Acti-Brake system is experiencing premature circuit board failures and they are looking for a solution. Maybe that is why A/S is waiting?

Just more food for thought.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
57 chevy and vet and fuel injection available and maybe even pontiac, I know pontiac had the 3 duces that year. The fuel injection of today is so much more dependable of course in 57 who would have thought that you would ever had a computer in your car, even if we had known what a compter was.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Actually, there might be a can of worms here and maybe there is a reason A/S is holding up their disk brake system...

I made several phone calls regarding the Acti-Brake (Kodiak) and the Brake-Rite (Titan) actuators.
I found another system, and it has optional ABS capability. It's called 'Elecdraulic', and it manufactured by the same company that makes the popular 'BrakeSmart' controller. It also has feedback and error sensing capability.

What impressed me was the amount of installation detail on their website.
http://www.masterbrake.com/
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote