Old 12-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
LRPorter

What kind of tires is that dealer selling you?

Goodyear Marathon is best as that has been the factories choice for many years.

If he is selling something else, I would pull the trailer out like a rocket, especially since he 'obviously" does not know how to check shocks.

Rule of thumb is easy. When you put new tires in the trailer, replace the shocks as well.

Keep in mind that your trailer uses horizontal shocks, and they are only available from an Airstream dealer.

Can that dealer balance the running gear for you, as it should be done?

Andy

Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I did the axles on my 1971 Tradewind 2 years ago. I bought complete Henschen axles from Andy. Henschen shipped the wrong axles, so i had to do the job twice,and was exposed to the brake drums twice as well, since I had to transfer them from one set of axles to the other.
Better balanced? Not even close....
Took the trailer to Andys InlandRV shortly thereafter for a balance job, and it took an ungodly amount of weight to make things right.
There might be a slight improvement, but it's still far from perfect.
Uwe,

It has been my experience that "Disc Brake Rotors" are fairly true, while drums vary quite a bit.

Well said,
Henry

Old 09-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
A mere 9 months later

I finally got around to replacing my wheel drums, and I must say that these new ones rotate much truer than the original ones did. Although the real test will not be until the first part of October when we head to Disneyworld, I sense that all my vibration issues have been resolved.

I feel much better now.

Tom
p.s. FWIW, the new drums came attached to new axles.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Andy is right about the balance of running gear ,the reason its so important on the torsion axles is because the axle tube is in direct contact with the frame ,even welded to it on early bambis sometimes. the torsion arm is short
so all vibration from imbalance ,drums ,tires etc is transmitted right to the trailer ,of course some is absorb by the rubber rods in the axles and
the shocks .something needs to control that shaking .the leaf spring axles
on the other hand do not have the axle anywhere near the frame to make contact with it ,and with good shocks and good tire balance ,no issues to
speak of .I will say that a good quality tire ,radial or otherwise will work fine.

Scott
Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
38 Year old brake drums.

Hi, You did the right thing replaceing the 38 year old brake drums. I don't remember brake drums being so bad 38 years ago, But with normal wear, loose plates, rust, and the machineing of warped, out of round, and with hot spots being removed its going to change the balance of the original casting.
In the old days cast iron parts were made in America and set aside to cure; To take final shape before final machineing was done. Now some of these parts are cast, machined, and shipped to America from God knows where?
Also in the old days we had a few ways to spin balance wheels on the vehicle. Therefore balance all spinning parts. But it was too time consuming. So here we are in modern America wanting everything yesterday.
Bottom line your drums were bad from age, wear, and tear, not poor workmanship done 38 years ago!

Bob
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #20
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I have a hard time seeing the need to balance the wheels with the drum.

I never heard of this being done on cars-trucks.

It has been working on millions of cars for years without doing this.

Anybody backup this procedure with doc's from the manufacturer

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I have a hard time seeing the need to balance the wheels with the drum.

I never heard of this being done on cars-trucks.

It has been working on millions of cars for years without doing this.

Anybody backup this procedure with doc's from the manufacturer
This subject was tossed around on this site a long time ago.

All automobile and light truck hub and drums are balanced when manufactured.

That "is not" the case with "any" travel trailer hub and drum, be it an assembly or unicast, ever made as of today.

Part of the theory seems to be that since you don't ride in the trailer, then "who cares" if it shakes. Also, there is a cost to balance them, it seems to most manufacurers, to be high enough to price themselves out of market.

Accordingly, you "must" balance the tire and wheel "and" the hub and drum, as an assembly.

It's your investment, therefore your choice. The vast majority of Airstream owners, chose to abide by the proper "PM" principles. Some of them, unfortunately, learned that lesson, the hard way.

From 1973 and back, the primary cause of rear end separation, as well as many other problems, was "lack" of proper running gear balance. From 1973 up to and including today, lack of proper running gear balance is an absolute guarantee of crazy and usually expensive repairs, that could have, so very easily, been avoided.

Therefore, in time, the message became loud and clear. Balance the running gear, or else.

Andy
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
So why does Airstream Inc. not do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland Andy
...All automobile and light truck hub and drums are balanced when manufactured.

That "is not" the case with "any" travel trailer hub and drum, be it an assembly or unicast, ever made as of today....Accordingly, you "must" balance the tire and wheel "and" the hub and drum, as an assembly.

It's your investment, therefore your choice. The vast majority of Airstream owners...
Andy,

Since balancing drums is apparently commonplace, why does Airstream Inc. choose not to have their axle vendor do it on new assemblies? Obviously it will add dollars to the purchase price, but what new purchaser would notice? It appears to me to be a good selling point.

Tom
Old 09-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Andy,

Since balancing drums is apparently commonplace, why does Airstream Inc. choose not to have their axle vendor do it on new assemblies? Obviously it will add dollars to the purchase price, but what new purchaser would notice? It appears to me to be a good selling point.

Tom
Henschen and Dexter do not balance drums.

Andy
Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Henschen and Dexter do not balance drums.
I would not know.

But if they do not, other companies do. Whoever makes the drums for the two companies could ship the drums to another party for balancing.

So [a modifcation on the question] still remains - Why does Airstream Inc. choose not to have their axle assemblies balanced before incorporation into a new Airstream?

Tom
Old 09-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
But if they do not, other companies do. Whoever makes the drums for the two companies could ship the drums to another party for balancing.
Tom
I do not know for sure, and I would guess that the axle manufactures make ther own drums. And I would also guess that no trailer axle company balances their braking assemblies. For if you look at the end user, utillity trailers, HD equipment used at slower speeds, then it might be assumed the market dictates that there isn't much need for balanced braking assemblies. Just a guess on my part.

In the automotive arena, most automanufactures make there own running gear or contract out for it in a balanced condition. And most automotive applications use disc braking or smaller drums in the rear. The smaller the drum the less concern for rotating mass. And rotors are far easier to keep balanced.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'm sure with all the Millions of dollars that Airstream has spent on product design and engineering, they have decided that it is not necessary to balance the drums.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #27
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Andy, I'm missing something here. What happened in 1973 that changed things? I have a 1973 so I'm curious. Are you saying that all trailers built after 1973 need to have the drum assembly balanced with the wheels/tires? Help a rookie axle guy out here, how is that done? I rememeber the "old days" when tires/wheels/etc could all be spin balanced while mounted on the car/truck. This can only be done by a few shops these days?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Hmmmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I'm sure with all the Millions of dollars that Airstream has spent on product design and engineering, they have decided that it is not necessary to balance the drums.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
Don,

I would be curious of the cost to do the balance job vs. the necessity. In other words you may be right - it's not worth the cost. Uwe has tried it both ways and didn't seem to notice a difference.

Regards,
Henry