Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The outside curve of the brake shoe lining is not always the same as the inside diameter of the brake drum. Therefore, when the brakes are applied on a new set of shoes, there will be areas of the shoe that do not contact the drum. Therefore reducing the effect of the brakes.
Once the shoes have worn off the high spots and become matched to the drum, there will be more area of the shoe contacting the drum surface. The more contact area, the more braking.
Don't know where the term "burn in" came from.
The bottom end of the brake shoe always is worn more since the shoes are fixed at the top to a hinge point and open at the bottom when the brakes are applied. The front shoe routinely shows more wear than the back shoe.
The typical drum brake is more effective when braking in the forward direction than when backing.
Burn in came from the other post he has on the same topic. Everyone on there was talking "burn in" Don't know how they both got on here

panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1985 34' Sovereign
Livingston , Texas
Brake update. Thanks for all your help and comments re this problem. It has been determined they are 3500# Toroflex axles with 12" brakes. Another test drive with many controller only stops. Same results (no wheel lock up at any setting controller only; at 45mph w/controller only took way too long to stop us; only decent stopping using TV brakes is with controller at 13. Being mechanically challenged, made an appt for professional look-see on the brakes.

krohnjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It will take some time for the brakes to seat themselves to the drum. You will probably need to readjust them after a few hundred miles.
The Prodigy controller I had went bad earlier this year. It just wouldn't put out the power to stop the trailer. When it did work it seemed erratic. I went with a Maxbrake controller and it was night and day difference in the stopping power.
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'd agree that one has gotten ones moneys worth from that old controller. I'd look at DIRECLINK nowadays. See thread by MexRay
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
When I replaced my axles I had the same issue. I had to adjust the controller up, but still did not have the braking that I did before the replacement. After around 1K miles I had to back the controller down and now the brakes work much better than they ever did.

It could have been a seating issue or an adjustment issue. The new brakes are self adjusting and the problem could have been a little of both.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote