Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
New brake drums or studs?????

Curious, I recently had to change a tire. My '78 Argosy is set-up with bolts. I've had cars with bolts and cars with studs. On whole I'd say my preference was with bolts. However ,the wheel on the Argosy was a pain in the drivers seat

I'm wondering if I have the right brake drums or possibly something else has been swapped out from stock. On all the cars I've had with bolts when you stuck the tire up there it was centered on the hub. Although it was somewhat of a three handed operation to line up the first one or two bolts it was easy to keep the wheel in place with one had. On the trailer there seemed to be about a 1/4 of slop with really nothing helping to center the rim on the drum.

Looking at new wheels I noticed they listed the bolt pattern ( # x BCD) and a second dimension which I assume is the opening in the center. Anyone know what this should be and if it addresses the centering issue? If not then I'll definitely be switching to studs and acorn nuts.

Another related question, anybody ever had to replace drums on their trailer because of wear? On the rear of a car or truck the drums should be good for 100,000 miles or so. Curious as to what sort of life to expect from the trailer and if storage tends to be hard on the brakes as well as the tires.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Wheel Dimentions

you mean like 15X6, 6 on 5 1/2, 4.28?
If so the 4.28 is the diameter of the hole in the middle of the wheel.
15x6 is 15 inch rim, 6 inches wide.
6 on 5 1/2 is a 6 lug bolt pattern on a 5 1/2 inch circle
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
about right..

when Discount tires replaced my tires, getting new bolts (slightly longer) was a pain in the....... You are right, there is nothing to hang the tire onto to get it up there. Alloys are so much lighter, it's a bit easier. FYI, I got new bolts from Tacoma Screws in Kirkland.

When I get new axles (sometime soon), I'll be switching to studs.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote