Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
New Backing Plate Installation

I tried doing some searches but didn't come up with much but I am sure it has been beat to death in the past.
I have a '99 25' Safari and feel that it needs brakes. Is replacing the entire backing plate assemblies a major job? I have done brake jobs on my vehicles but never had anything to do with electrical set ups. I am not having any symptoms of problems but want to replace them and to check/replace/repack the bearing. I have heard that not all machine shops can turn the drums because of the magnet faces. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Just wondering if I can do it or should I take it to a shop. Thanks
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
I tried doing some searches but didn't come up with much but I am sure it has been beat to death in the past.
I have a '99 25' Safari and feel that it needs brakes. Is replacing the entire backing plate assemblies a major job? I have done brake jobs on my vehicles but never had anything to do with electrical set ups. I am not having any symptoms of problems but want to replace them and to check/replace/repack the bearing. I have heard that not all machine shops can turn the drums because of the magnet faces. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have not replaced brakes, but I believe it is rather simple. Cut or disconnect the existing wires and then there are four bolts which hold the backing plates on the axle. Remove those bolts, take off the old backing plates, replace with new, reconnect the two wires, pack the bearings, replace the seals and reassemble.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
Make sure you install the backing plates on the correct side of the trailer.

The plates are marked "left hand" and "right hand.'

The right side is the curb side.

Also, the wiring is "not" polarized.

Other than that, replacing backing plates is very easy.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here are the instructions (abbreviated) for removing and installing backing plates:
1-Safely lift trailer on side to be worked on, and block wheels not being worked on.
2-Remove hubcap, remove lug nuts, remove wheel/tire assembly.
3-Remove dust cap from center of hub/brake drum assembly.
4-Remove cotter pin holding castle nut in place, and unscrew castle nut.
5-Wiggle drum slightly to loosen outer bearing, and pull bearing out of hub.
6-Slide drum off spindle, remove inner grease seal.
7-Uncap the two wires for the brake magnet, and separate the wires.
8-Unbolt the backing plate from the spindle, there should be either 4 or 5 bolts with nuts holding the backing plates to the spindle.
9-Slide backing plate off spindle.
10-Slide new backing plate onto spindle, making sure backing plate is for correct side of trailer, the arm holding the magnet should go toward the front of the trailer.
11-Reinstall the mounting bolts, and connect the wires back together using new wire nuts.
12-Repack bearings after inspecting them for damage, install the inner bearing, then install a new grease seal.
13-Slide brake drum assembly onto spindle, and slide outer bearing onto spindle.
14-Reinstall washer and castle nut, tightening to specification, then install a new cotter pin.
15-Reinstall dust cap, and tire/wheel assembly.
16-Adjust brakes to specification (usually a slight scrape when rotating the wheel).
17-Lower trailer, and torque lug nuts to specification.