Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Benson , Arizona
Need springs for electric brakes

I own a 1965 Jewell and I was working on the wheel bearing, I found two springs broke inside one of the wheels. I believe these were used to attach the two brake halves on the bottom by the adjustment wheel. These spring were about 1-1/8" long and 3/8" at the coil and had a hook on each side. The hook measures about 1-1/4" long from the coil with a hook about 3/8" big. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement that would work, I realize I may not find the original parts. Please email me if you might have a source @ roger812@hotmail.com or call my cell 520 400-0587 Thanks in advance, Roger

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Y'know, it's not that costly to replace the entire back plate with new springs, shoes, adjusters, grease, and alla dat.

Just mentioning it because as you already know, they are a mighty important part of your safety when you tow, if the springs gave out, the rest of the assembly might be tired too.

If you don't agree, the places that sell the entire & complete new backplate will also probably sell you just the springs...

Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies at Trailer Parts Superstore

This is where I buy. I am assuming that if you need springs the back plate assemblies are getting old, and the magnet is worn too.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Benson , Arizona
Thanks for the site, I do have a question though . . . if I wanted to replace these units how would I go about finding the right size? Thanks, Roger
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
You don't have to know much to order the entire backing plate. Are they 10" or 12"? I would get the self adjusting plates. They are only $5 or $10 more. I saw them on sale for less than $50.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L. View Post
I own a 1965 Jewell and I was working on the wheel bearing, I found two springs broke inside one of the wheels. I believe these were used to attach the two brake halves on the bottom by the adjustment wheel. These spring were about 1-1/8" long and 3/8" at the coil and had a hook on each side. The hook measures about 1-1/4" long from the coil with a hook about 3/8" big. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement that would work, I realize I may not find the original parts. Please email me if you might have a source @ roger812@hotmail.com or call my cell 520 400-0587 Thanks in advance, Roger
The adjuster springs break, because they were tempered by the heat from the brakes. They then become very brittle, and easily fail.

Also, some of the parts for those old brakes are no longer available.

Replace the entire backing plate assembly.

That will upgrade your brakes and actually provide more stopping power than the original brakes.

Andy