Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Need new brake assemblies all around

Looks like I need to bite the bullet and put new brakes on the trailer. All four decided to stop working right before a trip. They are getting voltage but no braking. They were worn out from the start. I am thinking the self adjusting backing plates and new drums. This is going to be about $500 in parts. This is etrailer.com pricing. Anyone know of a better deal? I even adjusted them and still no brakes. Best way to get full voltage to brakes for bug hunting is to pull the emergency release pin and if you have brakes then, the problem is in the tow vehicle or umbilical to side.

I think most of the Airstream brakes are 6x5.5 bolt pattern and 12x2 drums.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I changed mine last winter as I had very poor braking. I considered self adjustng braks but in the end opted just for the standard arrangement. I paid about $55Can. per wheel for compete assemblies - backing plates, shoes. magnets etc.

At the same time, thinking it might have some impact, I re-did the three ground connections that I found on the trailer. I'm not really sure if that is relevant or not as of course the umbilical carries a ground wire. I don't know if the brakes connect directly to this or if they ground connection runs through the frame. In any event, they looked very badly corroded, so I felt it needed doing.

Of course replacing the assemblies required reconnecting the wires - which in itself I felt was a good thing as the connections were not great (Bought the trailer used.) Wires were corroded, and a mix of different connectors etc. I cleaned and soldered the wires and used weatherproof shrink tubes.

After the work was done, I measured current flow with a DC clamp meter and found at least 3 amps to each wheel on full brake application so everything seems good.

Trying the new brakes confirmed that they were now much better!

I saved the old magnets and wired them all in parallel as a sort of dummy load so that if in future I have brake problems, I can plug them into the truck 7 pin connector and measure current to help determine if the problem is with the integrated brake controller in the truck (Which has given problems in the past) truck or the trailer itself.

Work took me maybe an hour and a half per brake assembly. As we live in Canada and it was in late Fall when I decided to do the work, I actually did it a a fairly isolated campsite in a Florida state park - kept everything neat and made sure I wasn't bothering neighbours!
In fact I had a few interested and curious bystanders and no complaints! I'm sure this is not really recommended though!

One tool I was glad I brought on the was an electric impact wrench as the (5?) bolts holding each assembly were rusted and requited a fair bit of effort to remove. Most came
out hot to the point of "smoking" with the impact wrench - luckily none broke!

Anyway, good luck with your project - I was happy I decided to do this.

Incidentally, the self-adusting brakes - had I chosen to buy them - were only a few dollars each more expensive than the standard ones. It was not to save $ that I didn't go that route. I just wasn't sure how well they worked and decided to keep things simple! No idea if that was a good decision or not!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
In theory the self adjusting brakes should work exactly like the drum brakes used on cars for the last 100 yrs. Rachet that works when you hit brakes in reverse. At least it works with hydraulic brakes. Trailer brakes don't work in reverse since the actator arm only works when the wheel moves clockwise.

Perry
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Need new brake assemblies all around

Reports on WOODALLS a few years ago was that the self adjust may not be so great. See threads by JBarca as those are an impressive tech resource.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My as has self adjusters, 24000 miles and so far real good , l like em.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
The self adjusting trailer brakes actually adjust while your going forward or backwards. They are getting fairly common now and a great investment.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
ANyone know what the spindle size is for the axels on the newer trailers? Mine is an 81 and by then things were pretty much standard. I think mine is a #42 spindle which is good for 5200# with a 6x 5.5 bolt pattern and 12 x 2 brake drums. Trying to make sure I order the correct stuff.

Bearing sizes would be helpful as well.

Perry
Old 10-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I converted my Safari to hydraulic disc's and Wow, what a difference.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Can't go with Hydraulic Disks with the rims I have. Would like to but would have to go to 16" rims for the calipers to clear. Already vistited the a while back and made CAD drawings of the rim and caliper setups to verify my rims won't work.

Perry
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
ft collins , Colorado
brakes

Have you tried a local Trailer Sales, (utility/construction trailers) When I bought my 1970 a/s three years ago, the brakes were not working at all. Went to my local Trailer Sales/Parts and Service Dealer, they have, or had @ the time a complete backing plate w/brakes and all for around $50.00 ea. They were made in China, but have worked good for the last 3 yrs. and I just finished replacing both axles w/new Dexters, complete w/brakes, shocks, and wheel balancers.
greybeard41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
During my maintenance sweep this summer, I replaced the brake assemblies and hubs, which include the wheel bearings, on my 2007 Safari 27. I got my parts from etrailer.com and they were very helpful. they got me to measure the spindles with a caliper and confirmed the proper size. I chose the self adjusting brakes, and they fit perfectly. The new brake assemblies looked like they were made by the same factory as the oem brakes. Exact fit. I recommend the self adjusters. They are like automotive self adjusting brakes that have been around for years.

I confirmed that on these type of electric trailer brakes, if the pads or magnets are worn, standard procedure is to replace the whole assembly. Same with the hubs, if the inside of the brake drum is scored, hubs are just replaced.

I bought an electric lug impact wrench at Lowes for the project, and it was a real time and effort saver. The new brakes have worked great!
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
During my maintenance sweep this summer, I replaced the brake assemblies and hubs, which include the wheel bearings, on my 2007 Safari 27. I got my parts from etrailer.com and they were very helpful. they got me to measure the spindles with a caliper and confirmed the proper size. I chose the self adjusting brakes, and they fit perfectly. The new brake assemblies looked like they were made by the same factory as the oem brakes. Exact fit. I recommend the self adjusters. They are like automotive self adjusting brakes that have been around for years.

I confirmed that on these type of electric trailer brakes, if the pads or magnets are worn, standard procedure is to replace the whole assembly. Same with the hubs, if the inside of the brake drum is scored, hubs are just replaced.

I bought an electric lug impact wrench at Lowes for the project, and it was a real time and effort saver. The new brakes have worked great!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Got all 4 backing plates and drums for $428 shipped from etrailer. I hope they fit. Will take the original timken bearings and races out of the old drums and put them in the new ones. Local source was more expensive and did not have the self adjusting backing plates.

Perry
Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #14
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
The new hubs from etrailer will come with new bearings already factory installed. I debated putting my old bearings into the new hubs also. Ultimately, I decided to use the new ones and they have been fine. I wanted to do the best thing, but could not get a definitive answer. I got two references to help me decide this. One from a mechanic who services my farm flatbed trailer, and another from a local shop that manufactures utility trailers and is a Dexter dealer. They both said their standand service procedure is to use the new bearings that come with the hubs. I expect that is partially a labor savings, but the new bearings are installed in clean factory machine press conditions. They have not had bearing call backs from customers over the years. Time will tell if I made the right choice with the bearings. The new brakes were a noticable improvement.
Note, etrailer had some shipping issues with my order. Some of my brake assemblies were scratched from rubbing together during shipment. They were responsive and sent me replacements, paid return freight, and applied a discount to the whole order for the inconvenience.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The problem with the bearings that come in the drums is that they are Chinese and in most applications, they might never cause a problem because most trailers are never used to any degree. However, 5200lb axles which is what we have are way overkill for axles that are sprung for 3200lb each. I have never had a problem with the Chinese bearings but I have never put tens of thousands of miles on them like I do with the Airstream. Depending on the weather and the time factor, I might use the Chinese bearings for a while and then put the Timkens back in.

Perry
Old 10-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Do most folks who buy Timken bearings these days find that they are actually US made?

http://www.wersibearing.com/timken-b...m252310cd.html

I have often wondered if the blanket condemnation one often hears of Chinese products is warranted these days. At one time, the same was said of Japanese produced items - not so any more.

No doubt there are good and not so good products coming out of China - but it would not surprise me to find that to some degree they are following Japan's past in terms of quality.

For my part, rightly or wrongly, I don't really get as concerned these days as I once did when it comes to Chinese items.

The brake assemblies I just put on our trailer had CSA - Canadian Standards Association
stickers on them, but were also stamped "China."

Of course there is still the "Made at home" issue but that is a different debate!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Mettalurgy and heat treating are not always up to snuff. Bearings require some special care to get the hardness correct and the alloy composition perfect. China meets or exceeds US standards in some ways but cheap is cheap. You don't know what you are going to get. Harbor Freight has some good stuff and some junk.

Perry
Old 10-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I would go out of my way to source American or European made TIMKEN roller bearings.

Bearings will last about forever if all else is according to book.

And one can search a recent scandal concerning Chinese ball bearing failures.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #19
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
Thru a discovery process, I sort of warmed up to the idea of bearings from China. Each has to decide for themselves.

When replacing my hubs, I looked for Timken bearings, USA or European sourced. I only found Timken from China, and they were expensive thru the Dexter dealer.

Then I looked at my 2007 OEM bearings in the Dexter hubs I removed, and they were marked China.

I asked etrailer, and they referenced Axletech, a global mfgr of bearings, hubs, brakes, gear drives, and military components as one of their sources for a lot of their brake and hub parts. My new self adjusting brakes & hubs came from China....
Old 10-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The only time I have had a bearing fail is on my piece of crap VW bug LOL. No telling what the history was on them though. By 1973 the Germans had not figured out self adjusting brakes either or hydraulic valve lifters for that matter. I don't think the old bugs were designed for more than 1000 miles per year. The only part of that car that I liked was the engine and I built that myself.

One other time a bearing failed on an F350 that we had when I was a kid. The bearing race installed in the hub was not cut at the same angle as the original bearing and the bearing failed. This was one of the few things we had a so called mechanic do. Always replace bearings and races as a set and if used, keep them as a matched set.

Perry