Old 05-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
JMR
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy Missing Breakaway Wire/Switch

I was reading the post yesterday about the easily removable breakaway wire. It then occured to me that I don't even have a breakaway wire attached to my AS (scarry). I use during the summer and have no problems towing it. To get to my question where on my trailer would I find the Breakaway switch and where does the cable itself feed into the trailer? If infact the two components are missing does anyone have some suggestions on how to repair it so i have a properly functioning breakaway system?

Thanks for your advice.
Jeff

Old 05-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Jeff,

I had posted the question about breakaway switches lately in another threat. The answer to that were, that not every trailer even has a breakaway switch/wire. Are you shure your trailer had one before?

If I understood everything right the brakeaway system can easily be added to the electric brakes.

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Question Oh Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR
It then occured to me that I don't even have a breakaway wire attached to my AS (scarry).To get to my question where on my trailer would I find the Breakaway switch and where does the cable itself feed into the trailer? If infact the two components are missing does anyone have some suggestions on how to repair it so i have a properly functioning breakaway system?

Thanks for your advice.
Jeff
Jeff,

Bjoern is right! Not all trailers have them and they can be added! It is a safety measure that is likely required by states on new trailers or trailers manufactured after a certain date. Most states have different regulations – better check yours to be sure!

I hope this helps,

Henry
Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Owner "Tin Twinkie"

breakaway switch - easy to fix

Not sure about your model as my first and only is an '84 29 sovereign but the breakaway switch should be located on the tongue (usually right by the tongue jack) and the "pull wire" should connect to the tow vehicle. You didn't mention and I don't know the model again, do you have electric brakes? If so, the breakaway should be wired from the battery through the switch to the brake magnets. Hint: you can use the exisiting brake wire in the trailer frame since the switch is normally open except in an emergency at which time the harness wire will have been pulled from the trailer and thus eliminate the chance of feedback voltage to the brake control in the tow vehicle. The switch is about $10 at any auto store and is straight forward stuff. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
Here's a link to a place where you can buy a complete system including the battery:
http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.co...rts/l05x2.html
Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
JMR
1 Rivet Member

Talking Breakaway switch

Hi!
Thanks for the advice. After some investigation... I found that the break away switch was never installed on my trailer. I will have one installed or if I have the time install one myself. But currently I have bigger problems (floor rot) especially around the door. So my first objective is to do some floor repair prior to installing a brake away switch. Here's hoping there is no major frame repair needed.

Jeff
65GT