Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Apeldoorn , The Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to JimHoek
Mechanical Breakaway and Park

I know. I'm asking a lot these days...

My 50s axle with hydraulic parking brakes is about to be replaced with Dexter's electric brakes with mechanical park brake assembly (Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Brake Kit - LH).

Instead of using the electric breakaway switch, I want to apply a mechanical breakaway, connected to the mechanical park brake assemblies. Because of Dutch laws here in The Netherlands, but also because I think this is a safer way. I've just read the threads about unwanted activated breakaway switches..., and this could of course never happen to a simple mechanical device.

The appearance of a modern mechanical breakaway lever is not very much to my liking, so to say. And I therefore would like to know whether there are any similar mechanical breakaway systems for sale in the US.

Thanks in advance!
Jim, WBCCI #3755 OCC #1580
The Netherlands
1959 Airstream 18ft Traveler
Avatar: 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500
my pictures
JimHoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would look on eBay. Here is a new one from a lift truck. I like these old brake levers with the knurled handle that you can adjust by twisting the handle.

I assume you are going to tun exposed cable and mount the lever on the tongue? Very high coolness factor.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Apeldoorn , The Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to JimHoek
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I would look on eBay.
That's right! If there's anything in existance, it can be found on eBay nowadays.
Thanks.
Jim, WBCCI #3755 OCC #1580
The Netherlands
1959 Airstream 18ft Traveler
Avatar: 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500
my pictures
JimHoek is offline   Reply With Quote