Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Maxbrake availability

Maxbrake appears to be back in production again and lists a number of nationwide retailers, ProPride among them.

Perhaps Sean can confirm that MaxBrake units are in stock and shipping.

I continue to believe that this is an excellent product rivaling OEM integrated brake controllers for safety and smooth operation. I have two, one in each tow vehicle.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've been looking to replace my current brake controller. I don't even remember what kind it is but the digital display is not working. Last time I towed it worked fine though. After reading your post above I looked at the maxbrake. I like it but it does seem a bit pricey. The installation seems straightforward enough also. I have an '06 Dodge and there is no really convenient place to mount it. Got any ideas ?????

Still thinking about it.

Thanks, HAPPY NEW YEAR

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I am considering this unit as well for our 1996 F250; the Tekoshna unit works ok on the freeway, but in hilly stop and go it tends to over or underbrake as it gets confused about if we're going uphill or stepping on the brakes really hard. A unit that actuates the trailer brakes in proportion to how hard I'm stepping on the pedal seems perfect.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
From what I understand is that Brakesmart went out of business and Maxbrake took it's place - a completely different controller and manufacturer.
I too hope to own a Maxbrake unit in the future. I have been told by folks that pull heavy loads that this is the best controller available in terms of smoothness and braking power.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I was just reading some older postings about a Direct Link controller. Same price range with a much simpler installation. I like the idea of the wired remote hand held controller. Something else to consider in high end brake controls.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I was just reading some older postings about a Direct Link controller. Same price range with a much simpler installation. I like the idea of the wired remote hand held controller. Something else to consider in high end brake controls.
For those of us with older tow vehicles, DirectLink is not an option.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Bart, how old is "OLD" when looking at the Direct link controller ???
I tow with a 2006 Dodge 3500 diesel.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Hi Bart, how old is "OLD" when looking at the Direct link controller ???
I tow with a 2006 Dodge 3500 diesel.
2006 is new enough it requires an OBD2 port.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks WAZ, Still thinking on it. You have any opinions ????

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I have a MaxBrake on my '05 Ram. The installation is not difficult and the bleeding of the "T" and its short brake line is not an issue. My better 1/2 did the pedal portion and I cracked the line, done. It's in the manual and online. The only slightly non common tool that I used in the install was a brake line bending tool to curve the line and not kink it. Since I set it up, I don't think that I have made one adjustment to it, period. The brake control is darn good. If MaxBrake is listening, my only wishlist is for a slightly smaller box and maybe a bit nicer mounting bracket. Performance is top shelf. FWIW my rig has hydraulic brakes and I checked for compatibility first.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Thanks WAZ, Still thinking on it. You have any opinions ????
Well I am using a Prodigy and haven't tried either of these but I like the Direct link controller better then messing with the brake lines. Although some people use the OBD2 port for a scan gauge so it wouldn't work for them.

Many years ago (I know it was over 15 maybe 25) a guy that I worked with told me he had a controller that connected to the brake line and when he went to the dealer for brake problems he was told it voided his warranty. From what I've read recently they can't void the warranty without proof the modification caused the problem but, it is something to think about. Yours is a 2006 so you probably don't have a warranty to worry about though.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey G. On your '05 Ram where did you put the controller ??? I have mine low on the right just above the accelerator pedal. I really don't like it there since it's awkward to see while driving. I like the Maxbrake unit and I would have no problem with the installation. I even have a tubing bender. But the Directlink is also nice and the handset can easily be mounted in a good spot.

Waz, with the Directlink taking the OBD port would that prevent one from using one of the tuner boxes ??? Do they plug into the port also ?? For diagnostics you could unplug the brake unit to make use of the port if needed to check or clear any codes I guess.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
With the simple tuner boxes, they just plug in when you change the tune so just unplug to use the port. With more complicated ones like Banks (which also has gauge features) it wouldn't work. Also the ones like EFILive were you hook up a computer, they log (record what the engine does while driving) to get a more accurate tune, wouldn't be able to log while towing.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Hey G. On your '05 Ram where did you put the controller ??? I have mine low on the right just above the accelerator pedal. I really don't like it there since it's awkward to see while driving. I like the Maxbrake unit and I would have no problem with the installation. I even have a tubing bender. .

I mounted it just above the fuel pedal. But I rarely feel the need to look at it while driving, it does its job.

MaxBrake Install

The above link shows installation details on the MaxBrake and the Towing crowd at Turbo Diesel Register has many many ferverent fans of the MaxBrake.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Is this of value to anyone?

Some time ago, probably in 2011 or 2012, I ordered a new Maxbrake controller. I did it because I thought the design made more sense than the standard electronic Controller. However I never got around to it, because my prodigy was doing everything I expected. I still have the Maxbrake which as near as I can tell is currectly out of production. I have decided that if I want to change to a advanced controller, I would want to try the DirectLink, because I'm a computer oriented guy.

Is this worth putting on the classifieds?

It is basically NIB. The box has only been opened for inspection. It came with cables and adapters to install on my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. I have no idea what other years/models it is compatible with.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Ken,

I'd almost buy it as a spare for my Maxbrake only because it's no longer made and I think it's a great controller.

Should sell easily and I think the adapters are common brass hydraulic parts and easily overcome if it doesn't match a different TV.

GARY
Old 07-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #17

Paso Robles , California
MaxBrake

Good morning, if the maxbrake is for sale I would to buy it.

Thank you
Bruce Pittman
pdq250@gmail.com
pdq250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
That didn't take long at all.

It's a darn good unit.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I own a maxbrake and it works great, head and shoulders over our old Prodigy. If I were Ken I would think twice about spending the money on a Directlink since he already owns the Maxbrake.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I've had a few people say they would buy it. (some via PM) Now the question is what is it worth. I do know not even know what I paid for it, and I can't find it on the internet any longer. Could someone tell me what the price was new? I don't want to auction it here . So I will come up with what I think is fair, and offer it to those who have expressed a desire, in order of their request.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote