Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #15
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Here is a link to a picture I have added from the brake project I did.... http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...i=37483&c=3531

It is a 12" Dexter replacement, and you can see that the lower holes are not evenly spaced.
The replacements I ordered came with all new mounting hardware... nuts, bolts, lock washers.

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Many thanks...

for the reply and confirmation to what I had hoped.

We do appreciate it.

Many happy travels in your rig...

Bob and Gail

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #17
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
To be absolutely sure of what you are ordering, I would suggest a phone call to either etrailer or Southwest Wheel and have them verify what you have and what you need.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I agree with what others have said about replacing the complete assemblies rather than messing with component parts.

In fact, we are on the road now for 7 weeks and I did just that at our last campground stop!

Took me the best part of a day to replace all four assemblies. Luckily we had quite a secluded site in a State Park so I wasn't annoying anyone - also made sure not to make a mess!

One thing I was glad to have along was an electric impact wrench - many of the securing bolts were heavily rusted - but thankfully they all came out intact although some were smoking from the friction when they came out!

I soldered the magnet wires and used waterproof shrink tube insulation - the type with the hot melt glue inside.

Brakes are a lot better now as we continue our journey!

One thing I found was that the stranded copper brake wires on the trailer were quite black with corrosion even when stripped back quite a bit - I have seen that before and I'm not sure why it happens.

My method to clean them up so they will accept solder is to splay the wires out and try to scrape them to bright copper all around with a craft knife. It still isn't as good as I would prefer but it works. Anyone know if there is a better way? I was wondering if the bare copper could be dipped in anything to better remove the black corrosion?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
One thing I found was that the stranded copper brake wires on the trailer were quite black with corrosion even when stripped back quite a bit - I have seen that before and I'm not sure why it happens.

My method to clean them up so they will accept solder is to splay the wires out and try to scrape them to bright copper all around with a craft knife. It still isn't as good as I would prefer but it works. Anyone know if there is a better way? I was wondering if the bare copper could be dipped in anything to better remove the black corrosion?
This process uses two solutions, one is regular table salt and vinegar. Any kind of vinegar will work, from balsamic, to rice, to white vinegars. Its the acidity and corrosiveness of the salt and vinegar together that you want. The other solution is Sodium Bicarbonate, or baking soda, and water. This is used to neutralize the corrosive properties of the other solution, and to further clean the wires.

Strip the wires to be cleaned.

Get 2 containers, one for each solution. They can be paper cups, plastic, glass, bowls, whatever you can find.

Get 1 tablespoon of raw salt, and put it in one of the containers. Fill up the rest of the container with vinegar, and stir the both together. As a general rule of thumb, put as much salt in the vinegar as will dissolve.

Get 1 tablespoon of Sodium Bicarbonate, (baking soda) and add it to the other container. Fill up the rest with water, and stir well. Add more baking soda to make it cloudy. The amount is not important, as long as it is alkaline to cancel the acid of the vinegar solution.

Put the stripped end of the wire in the vinegar solution, and stir the solution with the wire. any wire you want cleaned needs to be under the solution. Movement of the wire in the liquid speeds up the process.

After 2 minutes or so, the wire will look very shiny and new in the vinegar solution. The acid and salt in the solution is etching away the oxides, exposing the bare metal. Make sure the metal is uniformly shiny. Leave it in longer if it is not perfectly clean throughout.

Once the wire is satisfactorily clean, remove the wire from the vinegar, and plunge it into the baking soda solution to neutralize the acid's corrosive properties. If the wire was exposed to the air, without neutralizing the acid first, it would quickly corrode again. The baking soda keeps it clean and shiny. Swish the wire around in the baking soda water for about 10 seconds, and then you are done!! Shiny new wire ready for soldering, and conducting once again

>>>>>>Action
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The wires were black ? Probably because they were hot a few times...
Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
This process uses two solutions, one is regular table salt and vinegar. Any kind of vinegar will work, from balsamic, to rice, to white vinegars. Its the acidity and corrosiveness of the salt and vinegar together that you want. The other solution is Sodium Bicarbonate, or baking soda, and water. This is used to neutralize the corrosive properties of the other solution, and to further clean the wires.
Shiny new wire ready for soldering, and conducting once again

>>>>>>Action
Thanks - I'll try that next time, sounds more effective than scraping the wires!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
The wires were black ? Probably because they were hot a few times...
I wondered about that, I guess it could be a contributing factor to speeding corrosion. I have often seen the same thing on older copper wiring though and guess it is quite common.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'