Old 10-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
According to the OP, it happened at 40 mph and at 60 mph. So high speed is not the cause in this case. Since the OP has been towing this rig for a year without this problem (I assume) it sounds like something has changed. If the balance is so close to the edge that adding a little weight in the back of the trailer throws it off then it is too close for my comfort. Maybe the brakes initiate it but it still should not oscillate.

With the Reese the amount of WD also affects the level of sway control so I expect a slight difference in adjustment. Both the tilt of the head and the number of links hooked up affect both the WD and the sway control amount. I tow with the Reese straight line but with a 3/4 ton diesel truck so the setup is much different. I have a lot of force on the bars and thus a lot of anti sway.

I have never used a Hensly/Pro Pride but an experience like that would make me consider it forthwith. Short car, short trailer may be more subject to sway? I went on a 4500 mile caravan with a gentleman who pulled a Bambi with a Porsche and it did not sway at any speed or conditions. Really nice rig. So I know it can be done.

On speed: Yes, driving slower is safer for many reasons. But a trailer should track straight and true at 75 mph or more and if it does not then driving it slower, like 55, to keep it from swaying is just covering up a bad setup and is not safe at all in my mind. It will catch up with you at some point. Adding the friction bar sway controls seems to me more covering up than actually fixing the problems.

It would be awful easy to convince me to buy a new hitch if I had the rig in question. In addition to the Pro Pride one I might look at is the Blue Ox. Never used one but I know them to be a good company with good people running it.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinNitwits View Post
We use a Reese WD system.
Okay, so what kind of SWAY CONTROL do you have? A weight distribution system by itself is not the same thing as sway control.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sometimes it is, like Equal-i-zer 4-point weight distribution sway control hitch-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Sometimes it is, like Equal-i-zer 4-point weight distribution sway control hitch-

Reese is NOT Equal-I-Zer.
And the OP said they had Reese, and I said WD BY ITSELF did not constitute sway control.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the Reese dual cam has weight distribution and sway control all in the weight bars, too.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Am I correct in thinking ProPride, Hensley, and Blue Ox Sway Pro all have weight distribution and sway control all in the weight bars?
All are one-time set-it-and-forget-it, not like the chain link weight distribution and separate brake shoe sway control-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
You should probably weigh your entire rig axle-by-axle (all 4), fully loaded, and assess whether your combined vehicle weight fits the ratings of both the tow vehicle and the trailer, including hitch weight. Ditto to the other comments about sway control and WD hitch set up. In my opinion, the Toureg towing this trailer is pushing all the limits.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I think the Reese dual cam has weight distribution and sway control all in the weight bars, too.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can get a Reese weight-distributing hitch with OR without the Dual Cam option that does the sway control.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Ditto to David. I just got a Reese WD set up without the cam sway control, which my old tow vehicle had for the 25' AS. Reese makes both styles.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
Any other ideas, before I take it to our (lousy) dealer?
Wondering if you are monitoring the ideas? Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #39
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It is perfectly reasonable to recommend that people drive more slowly, but less so to misinform. There ARE several states that have a default trailer limit of 55 mph, but most states require vehicles towing travel trailers to follow the same posted limits as passenger cars. AAA lists your home state of South Dakota as "65 mph on secondary highways except where posted. 75 mph on interstate except where posted" but shows North Dakota as having a default of 55 mph for trailers if NOT posted, but higher maximum speeds where posted. California limits trailers to 55, Ohio limits ANY single or combination vehicle over 8000 lb to 55 mph, etc. Several Canadian provinces limit trailers to 80 or 90 km/h, but several are listed as "same as passenger cars." Washington state says all trailers follow the same posted restrictions as trucks.

In short, while it varies, 55 mph is apparently NOT the maximum speed limit for trailers in most states.

You know, right after I posted my comment I wondered about the 55 max. speed limit being nationwide. FWIW, I am only a very recent resident to South Dakota for full-timing purposes and pretty unfamiliar with the limits there. Shoulda looked up the other states' limits I guess. I still think that keeping it under 60 mph is a good choice and a safer one for obvious reasons. And with our trailer having 14" wheels and tires, the speed rating is lower than LT tires I believe.
Never want to misinform, jumped the gun on this one for my rant.
Happy trails.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #40
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
The handle doesn't indicate the reality of life!

We are pretty good at following the state speed limits and drive quite conservatively with this rig as we are only one year into towing a trailer and still learning the ropes. We can speed in the Porsche when we feel like it :-)

Slow to get back to this thread owing to illness, but can grab some time now and then to converse with you all.

Thanks
Thanks and good health to you! I wasn't accusing you personally of speeding - just ranting about my observations with many rigs on the roads. Be safe, have fun.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you are monitoring the ideas? Thanks
Yes, as noted last night - but I also have a life and a job and I'm not logged in to the internet all day!

Our Touareg, as discussed above, is deemed to be just fine for the 23FB. There is a large Touareg forum here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...rs-134917.html

Of course we have the diesel with full tow package, which can pull up to 7,700 lb. The dry weight of our AS is 4,800 so with water, clothes, food, etc we are estimating no more than 5,800. No kids, very little in the trunk of the TV. So has been more than enough to pull us up and down through the passes on the road to San Francisco, CA from Vancouver, BC with great ease.

We bought our Reese as a trunnion bar with both WD and sway control, as I understood it.

I will check this thread again tomorrow some time.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
FlyinNitwits,

Are the symptoms you describe a new problem? I'm assuming you have towed for some time successfully without these issues? If so, think carefully about what you have changed on the setup recently intentionally or not.

You are right that the 23 is a very easy load for the Touareg. You should not be having these issues.

As others have noted, make sure you have sufficient tongue weight. The 23FB has an unloaded tongue weight a little bit below 10% of the AS gross so you will want to be sure to load appropriately to ensure sufficient weight up front. Also, your black and grey tanks are at the rear. I assume they are empty when you had this issue? They are pretty large and would cause a drop in tongue weight if not empty.

just some more random thoughts....

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote