Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Why wouldn't good stiff SWAY Control help control or stop the SWAY? Someone learn me up on that.
Assuming everything else is working properly a correctly set up sway control hitch would stop the sway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a video you can watch to help understand the "projected point" hitch.
http://youtu.be/v2otJAgYiTo

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I agree with the above hitch sway control posts, but would not rule out a brake problem either. A broken internal brake spring or broken bearing can lock up a wheel. Flyinnitwits, tow your trailer at a safe speed stop and feel the temp of your wheel hubs is one of the hubs hot? Are you sure your Tourag tow wiring configuration is correctly wired?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Lots of great ideas and suggestions. I know it may be disappointing but I believe your tow vehicle is not enough. I am assuming you have the extra tow package on your vehicle which puts you at the 7000 mark. Without it you are at 1650. Huge difference. Take your trailer weight at 6000, add water, toys, camping gear, food, clothes etc you will surpass your towing capacity very quickly. You trailer will be driving you around corners and hills. Some smart packing and sway control might help but you are sitting right at the vehicles limit. Should you need to make any evasive manoeuvres on the road I am afraid your vehicle and trailer will not get along.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My opinion:
Start with the simple stuff.
What type of weight distribution/sway control is being used?
First, adjust weight distribution and sway control and check how cargo is arranged in the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Follow the good advice above and get your equipment set up for what you're asking it to do.
Food for thought: When your trailer wasn't swaying, it was because the TV was pulling it… not getting pushed by it. The real time Rx for sway (before divergent oscillations make it impossible) is to make the trailer slow down the TV (apply trailer brake) or accelerate the TV (sounds scary if you're headed downhill toward curves, doesn't it?). Whichever you choose, you need to get right at it.
Good luck. Glad you're ok.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I enjoyed this ...
http://www.timberman.com/rig/sway.htm
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
While we've all been dissecting their problem with almost no real information, the OP hasn't been back to the forum since they made the original post in this thread. They haven't seen any of these replies or questions.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Your Touareg is actually a very capable towing vehicle, solid and well built, I have had mine since new in 2005 and towed numerous trailers with it, everything from full uhauls, boats and various rv's some of which were well over my rated weight limit and never had any trouble, never felt worried. Properly setting up the trailer is very important, weight distrabution and tongue height do make a huge difference between comfortable drive and white knuckle drive. Some of my trips with my VW include Seattle to Anchorage, Seattle to Boston on I90/95 in December and numerous trips from Seattle to Palm Springs in all sorts of weather. Would I trade my VW in for a pickup, nope, never, my will stipulates I am to be buried with my Airstream and VW.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #24
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Well if your chosen handle has anything to do with your driving speed, FlyinNitwits, then perhaps you should slow down? I have noticed that most ( I would say nearly all actually) people towing travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers as well as class A's with toads exceed the LEGAL speed limit on the US highways. In particular, Canadian licensed vehicles and trailers seem to be traveling at the higher rates of speed among all travelers.
I'm not accusing you of speeding, just making an observation after 20 months of full time traveling and living in our AS. The number of times I have passed another vehicle while I was towing on a highway or any road is probably less than 10 over 9,000 miles of towing. It astonishes and sometimes frightens me to be on the road with these speeding rigs. The posted towing speed is STILL 55 MPH. I will admit to towing at 58-59 mph most of the time, so even I am in violation. But I am the slow one!
Anyway, someone posted a good link to sway causes and it is worth looking at. Load distribution is critical, learn it.
I sure do wish people who tow would do just a couple of things: meticulously check air pressure in all tires, maintain them and replace them after 4 years no matter what the mileage; and slow down.
<end rant>
And as overlander63 noted, the OP has not even been back to the forum and we are working with limited information here.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
May be the OP wrecked...
Old 10-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Pi View Post
~~
The posted towing speed is STILL 55 MPH. I will admit to towing at 58-59 mph most of the time, so even I am in violation. But I am the slow one!
Anyway, someone posted a good link to sway causes and it is worth looking at. Load distribution is critical, learn it.
I sure do wish people who tow would do just a couple of things: meticulously check air pressure in all tires, maintain them and replace them after 4 years no matter what the mileage; and slow down.
<end rant>
And as overlander63 noted, the OP has not even been back to the forum and we are working with limited information here.
It is perfectly reasonable to recommend that people drive more slowly, but less so to misinform. There ARE several states that have a default trailer limit of 55 mph, but most states require vehicles towing travel trailers to follow the same posted limits as passenger cars. AAA lists your home state of South Dakota as "65 mph on secondary highways except where posted. 75 mph on interstate except where posted" but shows North Dakota as having a default of 55 mph for trailers if NOT posted, but higher maximum speeds where posted. California limits trailers to 55, Ohio limits ANY single or combination vehicle over 8000 lb to 55 mph, etc. Several Canadian provinces limit trailers to 80 or 90 km/h, but several are listed as "same as passenger cars." Washington state says all trailers follow the same posted restrictions as trucks.

In short, while it varies, 55 mph is apparently NOT the maximum speed limit for trailers in most states.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I think Dkottum hit on it....

It sounds like your trailer is tail heavy. That makes them inherently unstable. A fancier hitch might mask it, or a dump truck might muscle through it, but the real solution is to get the center of gravity correct.

A trailer needs to have it's CG located somewhere around 10-15% ahead of the centerline of the axles. The "real world" way to equate this is to have about 10-15% of the trailer's weight on the tongue. So say your trailer weighs 8000lbs, you'd want somewhere between 800 and 1200 lbs on the tongue.
In fact I had put a milk crate of firewood in the back bathroom that day, so perhaps that was a problem. Might have weighed 30 lb?

We use a Reese WD system.

I will check the heat on the brakes, and also go back to the brake controller installer for more training!

Thanks for everyone for their comments and links. Lots to follow up on!
Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Pi View Post
Well if your chosen handle has anything to do with your driving speed, FlyinNitwits, then perhaps you should slow down? I have noticed that most ( I would say nearly all actually) people towing travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers as well as class A's with toads exceed the LEGAL speed limit on the US highways. In particular, Canadian licensed vehicles and trailers seem to be traveling at the higher rates of speed among all travelers.
I'm not accusing you of speeding, just making an observation after 20 months of full time traveling and living in our AS. The number of times I have passed another vehicle while I was towing on a highway or any road is probably less than 10 over 9,000 miles of towing. It astonishes and sometimes frightens me to be on the road with these speeding rigs. The posted towing speed is STILL 55 MPH. I will admit to towing at 58-59 mph most of the time, so even I am in violation. But I am the slow one!
<end rant>
The handle doesn't indicate the reality of life!

We are pretty good at following the state speed limits and drive quite conservatively with this rig as we are only one year into towing a trailer and still learning the ropes. We can speed in the Porsche when we feel like it :-)

Slow to get back to this thread owing to illness, but can grab some time now and then to converse with you all.

Thanks